Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the thing, there are gates. And depend on city council they can decide to have no sound train. Need to go the council meeting and complain.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

That's just one of the things that are so great in this country. You have the right to complain and have a resolution to your complaint. Get to that meeting. You have the right to peace and quiet in your own home. :angel:

That's the thing, there are gates. And depend on city council they can decide to have no sound train. Need to go the council meeting and complain.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Based on my experience with train whistles, I'll be surprised if that works. I hope I'm wrong and you get your silence. Good Luck Charlie.

I have heard that it's easier to find canned soup with no MSG. I have looked and it takes a lot of looking. I also have to make sure they don't have soy or sweet potato. After decades of just ignoring most canned soup, I don't often think to look.

I would love to find an onion soup mix packet with no MSG. There are so many recipes that use onion soup mix.
TL--in about 2 minutes, you can mix up a batch of your own.

Dry Onion Soup Mix Recipe - Allrecipes.com I use beef stock that I dehydrated because I can't stand the sodium in bouillon granules.

Dry Onion Soup Mix Recipe - Allrecipes.com I use beef stock that I dehydrated because I can't stand the sodium in bouillon granules.
Thanks for the link. Not gonna take 2 mins for me. I don't buy bouillon granules or powder either. Not only is there usually excessive salt, most of them have MSG and some have soy.

Would you please explain how you dehydrate stock? I have a dehydrate setting on my toaster oven.

Thanks for the link. Not gonna take 2 mins for me. I don't buy bouillon granules or powder either. Not only is there usually excessive salt, most of them have MSG and some have soy.

Would you please explain how you dehydrate stock? I have a dehydrate setting on my toaster oven.
My dehydrator has those "fruit leather" trays. I just cover those with homemade stock and dehydrate (at 140 F) overnight and grind the sheets of dried stock in the coffee grinder dedicdated for spices. I think you could use parchment paper in the toaster oven on the flat pan...not sure, but it wouldn't be a big loss if that failed. I dehydrated some lamb stock the other night so now I have lamb stock "bouillon" powder.

PF--I have added ground button or portebello mushrooms. I also make mushroom salt...

If one more person asks me how I stay so slim, I think I will bonk the person on the head. Would anyone dare ask someone "how do you stay so overweight?" I changed my eating habits 3-4 years ago. No white, very little bread. Lots of veggies, a good breakfast and smaller meals through the day. I shrunk from a size 14 to a size 6/8 now. I have spent a small fortune on having my favorite clothes altered. I've spent my evening sorting through my favourite clothes to take to the tailor and the others are going to the Goodwill. I don't eat processed food, white sugar, pasta, or bread (I cheat s/times). Luckily, I'm a protein freak, so don't crave those things. I think I've reached the limit re: how much I can shrink.

Last edited:
My dehydrator has those "fruit leather" trays. I just cover those with homemade stock and dehydrate (at 140 F) overnight and grind the sheets of dried stock in the coffee grinder dedicdated for spices. I think you could use parchment paper in the toaster oven on the flat pan...not sure, but it wouldn't be a big loss if that failed. I dehydrated some lamb stock the other night so now I have lamb stock "bouillon" powder.

PF--I have added ground button or portebello mushrooms. I also make mushroom salt...
I don't have any special trays, but I have a grill tray bottom that is about 2 cm deep. I could put foil in that and dehydrate some stock.

I came across this recipe about a year or so ago. I increased it to make eight one-ounce envelopes. And I use ground celery seed instead of the whole ones. I also reduce the size of the onion flakes with my small FP. When large, I find that they tend to want to sink to the bottom. And then every time you went to use it, you had to stir it again! You can also use the low sodium cubes.

I am constantly surprised by the fact that I have become very sensitive to salty foods. Most of the time I will forget to put salt into something I am cooking on the stove like potatoes or pasta. :angel:

I don't have any special trays, but I have a grill tray bottom that is about 2 cm deep. I could put foil in that and dehydrate some stock.

Plastic wrap would probably work well and it would be easy to get the dried stock off from. It should hold up at dehydrating temperatures.

This morning I stopped at the local Walmart to pick up a few odds and ends that I can't find in other local stores. I headed for the checkout and noticed that only two of the more than twenty checkout lines were open and that they both had several customers with heaping carts waiting in line. I looked at the self check out and it was empty except for two employee's that were having a chat. I scanned my items and bagged them without incident, a real triumph for me! I hit the button to finish and pay, up popped a screen with several payment options. The only option that appeared to be missing was cash. I asked the two employees for help and they happily informed me that I was at a self check out machine that does not accept, CASH!!!:angry: The older lady scurried off and the younger one came over, cleared my transaction and directed me to another machine that did in fact take cash. Why do I even bother to try these modern "conveniences"! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Those self checkouts at Walmart frighten me. And I'm big and tough.

Last edited:
This morning I stopped at the local Walmart to pick up a few odds and ends that I can't find in other local stores. I headed for the checkout and noticed that only two of the more than twenty checkout lines were open and that they both had several customers with heaping carts waiting in line. I looked at the self check out and it was empty except for two employee's that were having a chat. I scanned my items and bagged them without incident, a real triumph for me! I hit the button to finish and pay, up popped a screen with several payment options. The only option that appeared to be missing was cash. I asked the two employees for help and they happily informed me that I was at a self check out machine that does not accept, CASH!!!:angry: The older lady scurried off and the younger one came over, cleared my transaction and directed me to another machine that did in fact take cash. Why do I even bother to try these modern "conveniences"! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The better question would be, "Why do you even bother to ask for help?" :angel:

I have yet to ever ask for help at Market Basket and receive an attitude instead. In fact the help will approach me before I even have to ask. I don't ask for help, I ask for assistance. :angel:

I'd like to find a store that doesn't keep putting these back when I try to buy one.. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 154
I would rather eat glass than go through any self check out counter.

I witnessed an interesting encounter today at the local hardware store. A rather snippy older woman grabbed a can of paint from the clerk as he asked her if he could put the can in the shake-em up machine. As she was leaving she turned and said to him, why?, there is no color in it. He looked at me and mused, why did I even ask?

Back
Top Bottom