"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #4231
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'm finding it easier to find msg free canned soups, some of the Campbell's, especially the healthy request skip the msg. Rob has some sensitivities to it, or at least he thinks he does, so we just avoid it. I also found a store brand onion soup mix packet without msg.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
I have heard that it's easier to find canned soup with no MSG. I have looked and it takes a lot of looking. I also have to make sure they don't have soy or sweet potato. After decades of just ignoring most canned soup, I don't often think to look.

I would love to find an onion soup mix packet with no MSG. There are so many recipes that use onion soup mix.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #4232
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie, as crazy as it may sound, there are federal laws from the Dept. of Transportation covering the sounding of trains going through a crossing that has no gates. If I remember correctly, they have to keep blowing that horn for so many feet after the last car is past the crossing. And they are supposed to reduce their speed while going through that crossing. So it seems like it takes forever for the whole train to pass through. In the meantime, that dang horn is blowing and blowing and blowing.

That's the thing, there are gates. And depend on city council they can decide to have no sound train. Need to go the council meeting and complain.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Old 05-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #4233
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That's the thing, there are gates. And depend on city council they can decide to have no sound train. Need to go the council meeting and complain.

That's just one of the things that are so great in this country. You have the right to complain and have a resolution to your complaint. Get to that meeting. You have the right to peace and quiet in your own home.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #4234
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post

Based on my experience with train whistles, I'll be surprised if that works. I hope I'm wrong and you get your silence. Good Luck Charlie.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #4235
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have heard that it's easier to find canned soup with no MSG. I have looked and it takes a lot of looking. I also have to make sure they don't have soy or sweet potato. After decades of just ignoring most canned soup, I don't often think to look.

I would love to find an onion soup mix packet with no MSG. There are so many recipes that use onion soup mix.
TL--in about 2 minutes, you can mix up a batch of your own.

Dry Onion Soup Mix Recipe - Allrecipes.com I use beef stock that I dehydrated because I can't stand the sodium in bouillon granules.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #4236
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post

Dry Onion Soup Mix Recipe - Allrecipes.com I use beef stock that I dehydrated because I can't stand the sodium in bouillon granules.
Extra good, add some dried porcini powder to that. Thanks for the link, I already have all those ingredients.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #4237
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Not gonna take 2 mins for me. I don't buy bouillon granules or powder either. Not only is there usually excessive salt, most of them have MSG and some have soy.

Would you please explain how you dehydrate stock? I have a dehydrate setting on my toaster oven.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #4238
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks for the link. Not gonna take 2 mins for me. I don't buy bouillon granules or powder either. Not only is there usually excessive salt, most of them have MSG and some have soy.

Would you please explain how you dehydrate stock? I have a dehydrate setting on my toaster oven.
My dehydrator has those "fruit leather" trays. I just cover those with homemade stock and dehydrate (at 140 F) overnight and grind the sheets of dried stock in the coffee grinder dedicdated for spices. I think you could use parchment paper in the toaster oven on the flat pan...not sure, but it wouldn't be a big loss if that failed. I dehydrated some lamb stock the other night so now I have lamb stock "bouillon" powder.

PF--I have added ground button or portebello mushrooms. I also make mushroom salt...
Old 05-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #4239
Chef Extraordinaire

If one more person asks me how I stay so slim, I think I will bonk the person on the head. Would anyone dare ask someone "how do you stay so overweight?" I changed my eating habits 3-4 years ago. No white, very little bread. Lots of veggies, a good breakfast and smaller meals through the day. I shrunk from a size 14 to a size 6/8 now. I have spent a small fortune on having my favorite clothes altered. I've spent my evening sorting through my favourite clothes to take to the tailor and the others are going to the Goodwill. I don't eat processed food, white sugar, pasta, or bread (I cheat s/times). Luckily, I'm a protein freak, so don't crave those things. I think I've reached the limit re: how much I can shrink.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #4240
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My dehydrator has those "fruit leather" trays. I just cover those with homemade stock and dehydrate (at 140 F) overnight and grind the sheets of dried stock in the coffee grinder dedicdated for spices. I think you could use parchment paper in the toaster oven on the flat pan...not sure, but it wouldn't be a big loss if that failed. I dehydrated some lamb stock the other night so now I have lamb stock "bouillon" powder.

PF--I have added ground button or portebello mushrooms. I also make mushroom salt...
I don't have any special trays, but I have a grill tray bottom that is about 2 cm deep. I could put foil in that and dehydrate some stock.