"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #4271
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,700
The explanation I got was; "if the company has a brick and mortar building in the state where the buyer is ordering from, then the company is required by law to apply the sales tax of that state." Even if it is just an office or center for customer service.

That building could be the distribution center, and not a retail store. QVC has more than one distribution center. If you live in one of the states where they have a distribution center, then you will be taxed.

But just think. Folks that live in NYC or LA not only have to pay a state sales tax, but also the city sales tax.

Sears, JCPenny, K Mart, Walmart, etc will always have to charge a sales tax. Is there any state where they are not located?
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #4272
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The explanation I got was; "if the company has a brick and mortar building in the state where the buyer is ordering from, then the company is required by law to apply the sales tax of that state." Even if it is just an office or center for customer service.

That building could be the distribution center, and not a retail store. QVC has more than one distribution center. If you live in one of the states where they have a distribution center, then you will be taxed.

But just think. Folks that live in NYC or LA not only have to pay a state sales tax, but also the city sales tax.

Sears, JCPenny, K Mart, Walmart, etc will always have to charge a sales tax. Is there any state where they are not located?
That is how it currently works in New York state.

I was really upset when L.L. Bean opened an outlet store in NY.

Now we are obliged to pay the 8% sales tax on all our designer mukluks!
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #4273
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
That is how it currently works in New York state.

I was really upset when L.L. Bean opened an outlet store in NY.

Now we are obliged to pay the 8% sales tax on all our designer mukluks!
I love mukluks. But they have become so expensive. I had a pair when I lived in Tacoma. I wore them down to the bare bone. They really keep your feet warm.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #4274
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love mukluks. But they have become so expensive. I had a pair when I lived in Tacoma. I wore them down to the bare bone. They really keep your feet warm.
I have boneless mukluks!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #4275
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,700
So yesterday I went downstairs to get my mail. There was a letter from Capital One credit card. I could feel that there was a card in there. It was addressed to Margaruit R. Sullivan. She has been dead for more than five years.

I open it and sure enough there was the credit card with the strip you have to remove and the phone number to call to activate the card. So I thought I woud do a good deed.

I call Cap1 to let them know that this person is dead.

Can I have your name, birthday, and the last four numbers of your SS number?

The card is not in my name.

Do you have her birthday and SS number?

No. She has been dead for five or more years. She was the tenant before me. I got the apartment because she died.

I am calling to let you know she is dead and you need to close the account.

Is there any one who would be willing to pay the balance?

The conversation went on and on like this for 10 minutes. The girl finally told me I needed to call for a Specialist who handles dead people.

Can you connect me to one?

No. We are not allowed to transfer calls. There is a special number you have to call.

She gives me the number. Do I want to make the call and go through this again?

So I call and it starts all over again. Then all of a sudden I get a Thank You and told that the account has been closed. I am not sure I want to do any more good deeds. I put the card in the shredder.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #4276
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,091
You are more patient than I. If I bothered to call at all, I would have told the first person she had the info and could do whatever she wanted to do with it.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #4277
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,655
I'm enough of a brat I would have given them her current address...
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #4278
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm enough of a brat I would have given them her current address...
Boston Cemetery, aisle 4, row three, number 18...
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #4279
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,091
I HATE the smell of the herbal teas SO drinks. There's one that smells like clove which is my most hated spice. There's another that smells like medicine.

Is bad smell a requirement of herbal teas?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #4280
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I HATE the smell of the herbal teas SO drinks. There's one that smells like clove which is my most hated spice. There's another that smells like medicine.

Is bad smell a requirement of herbal teas?
Don't know. The only tea I like is peppermint and I love the aroma
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.