Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are a lot of things that I enjoy making that are a lot more work than buying in a store. Home made tortilla chips are one. I like to cut up leftover tortillas, spray with Pam and salt, and bake in the oven. A friend asked why I would do that when you can walk into any store and buy them in a bag? It's just something I like to do. And I like to make my own Hummus. One time I went to a get together at my son's and they had Hummus. I stupidly asked "Who made the Hummus?" and my DIL picked up the carton and read off the brand name. LOL

I hear you Carol on that one. I like to bake cakes. I suppose I could use a box, but I like baking. It takes time and I certainly have plenty of that. Grant you, I can't eat any of it, but I enjoy seeing others eating it. It always taste better than a box. One time when I made a box cake, one of my kids told me that it tasted like the box. I considered that a compliment. :angel:

I make my own liver pate's. I was at friend's home with DW a couple of years back, for our annual New Year's celebration. I'd already made my own chicken liver pate, all smooth and silky, with a touch of ginger to give it a little something special. The lady of the house produced two cans of store bought pate, not knowing that I had made my own. She had a big grin on her face, expecting something wonderful. We both tried the canned pate and both thought that they were disgusting. She was very happy that I'd brought my home-made version. It tasted very good and saved the night.

Do I think there are good pate's available commercially, yes, but probably not in local grocery stores. And I've never, ever had a slice of cheesecake from a restaurant, or store that can compare with home made either.

Besides, I take great care making whatever it is that I'm making, and am thrilled when I meat my goal. Sometimes home made comes out extraordinary, sometimes the dog wouldn't eat it. But the process of making it is just as fun to me as is eating the successful experiments.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My family has two ultra favorite cheesecakes. The first one the Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Eagle Brand condensed milk. The second one is the Pumpkin with a Ginger Snap crust. They have had both in restaurants and from this day forward, only will eat Mom's. Every Christmas and Thanksgiving they get their wish. Pumpkin for Thanksgiving and the CCC for Christmas. The only problem is have to make a small one at Christmas. It is so rich that anyone who has tried it can only eat a very thin slice. So a small one can feed everyone around except me. :angel:

My step-daughter has a terrible habit of asking people how much they paid for things. When she was a teen I berated her for that all the time. She says she wants to know, so she asks! LOL I told her to ask where they got it, then go there and see what it cost. She also asks people how much they make. Grrrrrr She's 46...old enough to know better.

Come to think of it, my MIL did both of those things, too.

I once over heard a woman ask another how much a gift she received cost.She wasn't being that polite about how she asked.It was more of a demanding tone.

The woman politely replied "I don't know.I was told it was purposely re gifted to me. What a thoughtful thing to do.I really needed that."

I guess she told her.She showed a lot of class.

Chief, any tips on making homemade pate? I have made pork liver pate that came out wonderful and some that tasted a bit too cooked. Yes, I used a hot water bath in the oven. I guess it's the French influence, but I can get really good pate in the pre-packed deli section of just about any grocery store around here.

Chief, any tips on making homemade pate? I have made pork liver pate that came out wonderful and some that tasted a bit too cooked. Yes, I used a hot water bath in the oven. I guess it's the French influence, but I can get really good pate in the pre-packed deli section of just about any grocery store around here.

I'll make a seperate thread tonight with my recipe and technique. It's probably far different than what you're used to, but it works.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I once over heard a woman ask another how much a gift she received cost.She wasn't being that polite about how she asked.It was more of a demanding tone.

The woman politely replied "I don't know.I was told it was purposely re gifted to me. What a thoughtful thing to do.I really needed that."

What a polite response to a rude question. Love it.

My step-daughter has a terrible habit of asking people how much they paid for things. When she was a teen I berated her for that all the time. She says she wants to know, so she asks! LOL I told her to ask where they got it, then go there and see what it cost. She also asks people how much they make. Grrrrrr She's 46...old enough to know better.

Come to think of it, my MIL did both of those things, too.

I know a couple that does the opposite, they make a point of telling people how much they paid for everything. I have had drinks and dinner at their house and felt like I should tuck a fifty under the rim of my plate to compensate them for everything I consumed! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I agree, it's generally rude to ask how much they paid for things just for the sake of being curious.
But on the other hand I've asked people what they paid for certain things they've purchased, but in the context of the relevant conversation we were having, whether it was a laptop, a car, a refrigerator, a house, etc....

I agree, it's generally rude to ask how much they paid for things just for the sake of being curious.
But on the other hand I've asked people what they paid for certain things they've purchased, but in the context of the relevant conversation we were having, whether it was a laptop, a car, a refrigerator, a house, etc....
Yes, exactly. Context matters. If it's just nosiness, it better be a really good friend.

I give up! I went through six recipes today from the company that specializes in "recipe development and brand development." I was able to identify recipes "developed" (and paid for) a year or more ago that were almost identical. Change one ingredient (lemon instead of lime). I have had to test, revise, fix, almost every recipe from this company. What is worse, a Chef I know has told me that 3 of the people who develop those recipes have said that it is fun to develop recipes on paper and have the company I work for test drive them--not on the company's dime that develops them. Am I the only one who thinks it is wrong to recycle recipes as "new" when only one ingredient has been replaced and the methodology is the same?

What do you mean, Andy? The company charged as if it was a new recipe. I assume that is what you meant that it was inappropriate to charge as if a new recipe had been developed? I think it is dishonourable to cut and paste recipes already developed, change one ingredient, and charge as if it were a new recipe.

What do you mean, Andy? The company charged as if it was a new recipe. I assume that is what you meant that it was inappropriate to charge as if a new recipe had been developed? I think it is dishonourable to cut and paste recipes already developed, change one ingredient, and charge as if it were a new recipe.

I was agreeing with you.

I very rarely ask the price. And if I do it is to a very, very close friend. But I don't ask for the price outright. I ask "Is it expensive?" My friends know the limits of my pocketbook. So they know whether I can afford it or not. I will get a yes or a no. If the answer is yes, I drop the subject. If no, then I might ask where they found it. (meaning which store) The only thing I have no qualms about asking the price of, is groceries. And aren't we all looking for a bargain in that area. :angel:

Got hit in the back again in my poor Subaru. This time was like the last; a driver on the cellphone. They were older in a Mercedes, and apparently he's a retired lawyer and tried to convince the highway patrol trooper that the accident was my fault.

He said I had no reason to stop, as I was about to turn left in a turning lane when the light turned from green to yellow, and I was a way from the turning place so I just slowed down gradually and stopped. He said I just stopped very suddenly in front of him and he had no choice but to hit me.

What was really funny was this -- he was still on his phone talking to someone when the trooper arrived. The trooper asked him to get off the phone so he could talk to the driver, and the driver told the trooper to hang on, as he was in the middle of a conversation.

That went over like a fart in church with the trooper, and we both had to wait until he got off the phone. Unfortunately in NC, it's illegal to snatch a phone out of someone's hand.

What a shame.

The trooper cited him with following too closely, failure to yield, and using a cellphone while driving. The guy told the trooper he was a retired lawyer, he would have the trooper's job, and insisted it was my fault. He was berating the trooper when I finally had enough, and I said:

"Since when is it okay for you to hit me when I was slowing down in a turn lane and gradually stopping AFTER the light turned yellow?"

He replied, "You had plenty of time to turn. You stopped in front of me for no reason, and you're at fault and I'll prove it in court."

Yay. The trooper made him give his insurance information to me, but the retired lawyer said neither he nor his insurance company is liable, so the trooper said that was between him and his insurance company and the court.

Now I am going to call his insurance company and follow up tomorrow. I have the accident report which shows he was clearly at fault, and I won't be bullied.

My car is driveable; her bumper is a mess though. No one was hurt. When the trooper asked me for my cell phone (they do this now) I gave it to him and he saw I had not had anything I ever answered to long before this accident (about 4 hours when I was at work) so he could rule that part out on my behalf.

Grrrrrr!! I have never understood why some people think they are above the law.

I do have to admit, however, when the trooper inspected my phone, my wallpaper shows a picture of all 8 cats curled up amongst them on our couch.

He said, "Are these your cats?"

I replied, "Yes."

He handed the phone back to me and said, "You're a slacker. I have 22 cats."

LOL!!

So....I guess I'm going to court over this. Bleah. We'll just see what happens tomorrow.

I must say my sweet Subaru Forester still drove perfectly despite the damage.

Aw CCL, it sounds like your sweet Subaru is a magnet for accidents! :ermm:

Hope this gets resolved quickly. Like maybe the judge will throw that lawyer into jail right after he/she takes the guy's phone away. :LOL: Fortunately, you had a nice trooper. My only accident ended up with a nice one, too. It wasn't so bad, even though I was the "hitter" and not the "hittee". I had a stick shift at the time, took my foot off the break, and then started to roll forward. Lucky me, the guy in front had just been rear-ended recently, did have his car inspected by the insurance company, and was waiting for the check so he could get his car repaired. He said all the damage was the old damage, and that I probably hadn't added anything to it. Then there was his wife. :wacko: Poor guy, he was actually married to her? She was something else.

Back
Top Bottom