Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aw CCL, it sounds like your sweet Subaru is a magnet for accidents! :ermm:

Hope this gets resolved quickly. Like maybe the judge will throw that lawyer into jail right after he/she takes the guy's phone away. :LOL: Fortunately, you had a nice trooper. My only accident ended up with a nice one, too. It wasn't so bad, even though I was the "hitter" and not the "hittee". I had a stick shift at the time, took my foot off the break, and then started to roll forward. Lucky me, the guy in front had just been rear-ended recently, did have his car inspected by the insurance company, and was waiting for the check so he could get his car repaired. He said all the damage was the old damage, and that I probably hadn't added anything to it. Then there was his wife. :wacko: Poor guy, he was actually married to her? She was something else.

I know what you mean about the other spouse, be it man or woman. I was driving a pickup truck with my DW and at that time, 2 kids in the cab. Everyone was wearing seat belts. We were on a two lane highway heading out of Spokane, Wa. toward out little area called Moab Junction. A station wagon pulled out right in front of me and I had no time to avoid it. I hit the rear, left quarter panel and nearly skidded into a very large ditch. The station wagon was spun around 180 degrees and sat on the opposite side of the road from which it started (to my right). The man, a driver in his late 50's/early 60's got out of his car, asked if we were alright, and apologized profusely. He started giving me the name of his insurance company. His wife, on the other hand, got out and started raving that we were in so much trouble because we had struck their car. She stated that her son was a state trooper and the law said that if you hit someone, you're at fault. I tried to explain to her the rules of right-of-way, and the skid marks were clearly visible from when I hit the brakes and tried to swerve to avoid hitting them. The husband also tried to tell her it was his fault, but all to no avail. She just kept going on in a heated manner. When the state trooper arrived, what happened was obvious because of the skid marks, and the driver's testimony. The woman was still going on. He finally just wrote the ticket and handed it to the other driver and said if it went to court, he would testify. We got in the truck, which had a crunched bumper, and left. There insurance paid for the repairs and that was all there was to that.

It's happened to me three times that the vehicle I was driving was crunched, or nearly destroyed by the actions of someone else who wasn't paying attention, or made a mistake, and tried to blame the accident on me. Two times it was by uninsured motorists, once by the woman described above, even though her husband was honest and honorable. Each time the evidence pointed to my obvious innocence and there were witnesses. That's three out of four vehicular accidents in my life of driving, and in three, people were lying about what happened. The other one was my fault, and not my fault. I didn't get ticketed for it, but I hit the other car due to being temporarily blinded on an unfamiliar road, by the sun. I was 16 years old, and totaled two cars. Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt in either car. The first thing I said when I awoke from unconsciousness was "It was my fault: to the police officer on the scene. My passenger was busy saying, "Be quiet. Don't say anything." But I knew it was my fault. I didn't get a ticket as the circumstances that created the accident were such that I wasn't held accountable.

It is sad to me that people won't take responsibility for their actions. And I can't say that it's a generational thing. In the cases listed above, every driver was a middle aged, or older adult, not a punk kid with a bad attitude.

I am sorry that you had to put up with a pin-head that thought he could intimidate and bully his way through. I hope it all goes well, and quickly for you. I understand how you feel. I've been there, more than once.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I know a couple that does the opposite, they make a point of telling people how much they paid for everything. I have had drinks and dinner at their house and felt like I should tuck a fifty under the rim of my plate to compensate them for everything I consumed! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It is very common practice in Russian communities when invited to a restaurant for wedding or other type of celebration, people find how much restaurant cost per person and that is how much money they bring for the present. I grew up with it. Makes a lot of sense to me. Parents pay for wedding, guests return that money to young couple. All sides win.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Venting

I am not a FIL, yet. My oldest is 29, I keep bothering him with questions. When? He has a serious GF. He says I am annoying. Now, what am I to do? I am his father, I want to know. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Speaking of accidents. I was on a HWY, during the rush our. Traffic is bumper to bumper. When I had an opportunity to move to the left I did. I should have known better, the guy was busy with some paper work. About a mile later he of course hits me. No damage to my Toyota van, his Ford truck lost front bumper. He tells police guy I cut in front of him. I said yeah, I did about a mile ago, but you were to busy to notice, since you were writing something in your papers. The officer went to his car and found the paper that had a smudge, like probably when he hit me and pan went thru the paper. I guess he was filling in some work sheets. People sometimes are unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very common practice in Russian communities when invited to a restaurant for wedding or other type of celebration, people find how much restaurant cost per person and that is how much money they bring for the present. I grew up with it. Makes a lot of sense to me. Parents pay for wedding, guests return that money to young couple. All sides win.

That custom was pretty standard in my family, the wedding present had to meet or exceed the cost of your families drinks and dinner. I'm glad that in my family the whole wedding thing has become much simpler. The days of the big hotel/country club weddings of the 60's and 70's have been replaced with informal receptions, barbeques and potluck style events. Heck we're just glad the kids are getting married, that fell out of fashion for a number of years! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My daughter was hit about three blocks from her home. She was just feet from the store she was headed for. There is an exit from Rt. A1 and the car that hit her was making an exit. She didn't have her wallet with her. But she keeps her DMV ID in the glove compartment. So she reached in and told the driver she had to go back to her home and get her wallet. But she showed him her DMV ID. "Oh sh*t. I am so screwed." He was still there when she got back just a few minutes later. She had checked her car over and since there wasn't much damage to either vehicle, decided to not report it to her insurance company. He was so grateful to her for not causing his insurance to go up a couple of points, she received a HUGE bouquet of flowers the next day. She almost started crying when they arrived. My daughter told me that the amount of damage to her care wouldn't have even amounted to her deductible. And his was even less. Some accidents do have a happy ending. :angel:

I am not a FIL, yet. My oldest is 29, I keep bothering him with questions. When? He has a serious GF. He says I am annoying. Now, what am I to do? I am his father, I want to know. Am I wrong?

Don't feel bad Charlie. My grandson gave his GF a beautiful diamond last year. But no plans for marriage in the near future, if ever. It was just the symbolic meaning of the ring for the both of them. Commitment. Neither one wants children. They enjoy traveling and going on vacation. Then there is his little sister. She is approaching her mid 20's and has no interest in marriage or a permanent relationship. So my daughter and her husband are screwed big time for grandchildren. Looks like they will have to grow old together without any grand kiddies underfoot. :angel:

Yes. Be patient. You don't really know what anyone's relationship is like. Bugging him about it will only cause anger and resentment. And if/when they do get married, don't start bugging them about grandchildren.

Charlie, I remember when I first got married and had my first baby. Everyone wanted to know when was I planning on having the second one. I was still a teenager. I was thrilled to death with having my daughter. A second child was the farthest thing from my mind. Then when I finally did have the second baby, the next question everyone kept asking me was, "Are you two planning on having a big family?" And these folks weren't even family relations.

But I will admit that having grandchildren are nice. Then all of a sudden there is an explosion. Nineteen grand and great grands. And there are still a few that have yet to have their first. But one of the great grand kids is almost ready to get married and start her family. I stand an excellent chance of becoming a great, great grandmother in a few years.

Be patient. Your turn is coming. When he is ready, he will come home all excited to tell you she said "Yes!" :angel:

Yes. Be patient. You don't really know what anyone's relationship is like. Bugging him about it will only cause anger and resentment. And if/when they do get married, don't start bugging them about grandchildren.

Yes. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to get married, and/or not wanting to have children.

Charlie, our kids are 34. Neither our son nor our daughter are married, and it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon. Doesn't matter to us, they are both happy with how their lives are going. Raising a happy, reasonably successful child is better than being a FIL.

...Then when I finally did have the second baby, the next question everyone kept asking me was, "Are you two planning on having a big family?" And these folks weren't even family relations...
When the kids were little and wearing us down, we used to dress them pretty and head to the mall. Here we were with Loverly in pink, Goober in blue, side-by-side in the twin stroller, walking the mall and enjoying people telling us "how cute" and "you are so lucky" until we felt human again. Then there were those people who would ask when we were having another. I finally settled on telling them "well, we have a boy and a girl. If God comes up with a third gender, we'll try again". :-p

When I first logged onto DC, I had a petty vent I wanted to post. After reading through my subscribed threads, I've forgotten what it was! :LOL: Guess it was pettier than I thought. :cool:

Don't feel bad Charlie. My grandson gave his GF a beautiful diamond last year. But no plans for marriage in the near future, if ever. It was just the symbolic meaning of the ring for the both of them. Commitment. Neither one wants children. They enjoy traveling and going on vacation. Then there is his little sister. She is approaching her mid 20's and has no interest in marriage or a permanent relationship. So my daughter and her husband are screwed big time for grandchildren. Looks like they will have to grow old together without any grand kiddies underfoot. :angel:

That's what I told him. You are denying me the pleasure of having grandchildren.

In all truth I do not understand what all these kids are looking or waiting for. I asked his mother to marry me after 3 days.

In all truth I do not understand what all these kids are looking or waiting for. I asked his mother to marry me after 3 days.

I know what you mean. They seem to be gunshy at the prospect of marriage. It took me a few weeks, but no more, and our first child was born ten months later(No sex until after we were married and two of my four followed the same rule),

I knew that i was born to be a husband and a father, in that order, and as soon as I could.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've had enough with the racoons, possums, and skunks tearing up my urban backyard so I bought a pellet gun to take care of the problem once and for all....

A pellet gun works really well. Don't ask me how I know...

Back
Top Bottom