"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #421
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When someone insist on being really nosey about it, I just tell them I have leprosy. That shuts them up. I love seeing their reaction. I used to try to keep it covered. No more. Come warm weather I wear tank tops. The sun is really helpful in the summer.
I tell them it's advanced Aids, people can be so gullable They back off immediatly. I find heat makes it worse too, sweaty skin causes more break outs.
I'm lucky, my rash is not that scary looking, I've seen much worse. I get it mainly on my hands, feet and when I was pregnant my abdomen was covered in rash. havnen't had it anywhere else on my body since I was in primary school.
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #422
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,939
To me this is a huge vent but i know when i get it out i will feel better. mostly it it a "feeling sorry for myself" more than a vent.

i have been typing for over 35 years and am down to three or fingers and looking at the keys. i know i will be spell checking this too. Now i am also not able to talk because things are stuck in my throat but doctors say nothing wrong - they agree it is not my acid reflux as they see the scarring but nothing they can do.

On top of that the arthritis in my back doesn't allow for much sitting or standing but fibromyalgia doesn't allow for lying down much - clothes, bedsheets, anything on my skin hurts.

i know i have mentioned this before and others have far worse but communicating is a big thing for me. I guess I am just having a hard time accepting it will get worse.

Finally, this has taken me over 15 minutes to type where it should be under a minute!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #423
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
To me this is a huge vent but i know when i get it out i will feel better. mostly it it a "feeling sorry for myself" more than a vent.

i have been typing for over 35 years and am down to three or fingers and looking at the keys. i know i will be spell checking this too. Now i am also not able to talk because things are stuck in my throat but doctors say nothing wrong - they agree it is not my acid reflux as they see the scarring but nothing they can do.

On top of that the arthritis in my back doesn't allow for much sitting or standing but fibromyalgia doesn't allow for lying down much - clothes, bedsheets, anything on my skin hurts.

i know i have mentioned this before and others have far worse but communicating is a big thing for me. I guess I am just having a hard time accepting it will get worse.

Finally, this has taken me over 15 minutes to type where it should be under a minute!
There is nothing wrong with venting. The best thing you can do is get it out of your system. I don't try and push religion on anyone but these words have always brought me comfort when things just get to much and I really hope they make you feel better too!

Big Cuddle
Odette

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #424
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Today is the annual fire alarm check. They go from apartment to apartment, setting off the (VERY LOUD) alarms. Once they check yours, you're subjected to having your alarm go off with every single other apartment's as they get checked.

I'm going nuts! My blood pressure is soaring. I know intellectually it's not a real alarm, but my body reacts as if it was.

All this while making eggplant lasagna.

Second vent is that I went to the store earlier, because I didn't have any cottage cheese or ricotta for the lasagna. It's a small store, and were out of both! I decided to go ahead with the lasagna as I want to use the eggplant while it's still fresh.

I went ahead making it with mozzarella and grated parm/romano. I sure hope it comes out okay. It's a lot of work.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #425
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Today is the annual fire alarm check. They go from apartment to apartment, setting off the (VERY LOUD) alarms. Once they check yours, you're subjected to having your alarm go off with every single other apartment's as they get checked.

I'm going nuts! My blood pressure is soaring. I know intellectually it's not a real alarm, but my body reacts as if it was.

All this while making eggplant lasagna.

Second vent is that I went to the store earlier, because I didn't have any cottage cheese or ricotta for the lasagna. It's a small store, and were out of both! I decided to go ahead with the lasagna as I want to use the eggplant while it's still fresh.

I went ahead making it with mozzarella and grated parm/romano. I sure hope it comes out okay. It's a lot of work.
My alarm has been covered over with a thick piece of paper. About every six months a piece of dust gets into one and sets off the whole building. I have had ear problems that I was born with. It is so loud I am afraid that it will cause my right ear to start bleeding, hence the cover over it. It still will wake me out of a sound sleep. I know what you mean when you say your body reacts to it. When ours go off, no one reacts or even bothers to find out if it is for real. But it is still jarring. HUD wants the paper taken off. I told the building manager that they can take it off and I will have it put back on right away.

Lasagna is a LOT of work. That is why I made it only once or twice a year. Even today, in this family if you want it, go to a restaurant and order it.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #426
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
It took at least 2-3 hours for the noise to stop. Then they set off the alarms for the whole building, and let that blast for 15 more minutes! It was torture!

My alarm uses a light and receptor that will go off if the connection is broken, so no way to cover it up. They set it off by a short spray from an aerosol.

Amazingly, I managed to make the lasagna and it turned out excellent.

I was so rattled that I kept working, and now the kitchen is clean, everything put away, and the floor done too! I've been on such a roll that I've started another turkey neck stew! LOL

Guess I've got a lot of adrenaline to burn off.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #427
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
It took at least 2-3 hours for the noise to stop. Then they set off the alarms for the whole building, and let that blast for 15 more minutes! It was torture!

My alarm uses a light and receptor that will go off if the connection is broken, so no way to cover it up. They set it off by a short spray from an aerosol.

Amazingly, I managed to make the lasagna and it turned out excellent.

I was so rattled that I kept working, and now the kitchen is clean, everything put away, and the floor done too! I've been on such a roll that I've started another turkey neck stew! LOL

Guess I've got a lot of adrenaline to burn off.
The next time you have a lot of work to do, send a note to management asking them to set the alarms off. It seems you have found a new way to get things done.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #428
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
! Thanks anyway, I'd rather find a way to spend the day somewhere else. Unfortunately, the notice they gave us said they would be doing this Tuesday through Thursday.

I'm just glad it's over for another year. I probably would have done all that cooking and cleaning anyway, but with all that adrenaline, and alarms blaring, I got it done in record time.

I'm debating making some fudge that I got the ingredients for today... Nah, I'll do that tommorrow.

I don't know why I've been in such a cooking mode lately. I'm still managing to find room in the freezer and fridge.

Maybe I'll finally try to see how long I can go without having to shop.

I've had that idea in mind for awhile, but never actually tried it.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #429
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I must be really crabby today. I just posted something in "Venting" and now I'm posting here. Maybe I just miss Stirling. He should be coming home Wednesday.

Anyhoo, they are making my street one way, southbound. I live right near the southern corner. The entrance to our garage is about 50 feet from the corner. Now when I drive home, I will have to drive to the far end of the block, which is a half a kilometre long, to drive southward. If I am coming from the southwest, it will be a detour of 1.3 km! Grumble, grumble, phooey.

It gets better. If I am driving home between 15h30 and 18h30, the rightmost lane on the main street is a bus/taxi/carpool lane. So, I will have to move to the centre lane for less than one block and hope that I can make the lane change into the right lane in the very short distance near the corner where that is allowed, to make a right turn. Grumble, grumble, phooey.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #430
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
TL, I realize that Canada's laws are different from ours. But here in the section of Boston where I live. we have one way streets galore. Most residents that find themselves one house up from the corner will still go the wrong way IF traffice allows. Or they will just backup IF traffice allows. The police know this and ignore it. In the years I have been living here, I have never seen an accident when the residents do this. The block my daughter lives on has one side of her block two houses longer on the opposite side from her. And it is a one way street. You get to see some interesting driving.

Do you think you can get away with doing either one? I sure hope so. It will go easier on your gas tank and nerves.

And hang in there. Stirling will be back before you know it. Just give him a big hug and lots of good food.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.