"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #4341
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A disposable phone isn't necessary for a fake profile. FireFox, and probably Chrome, allow someone to open a "private browsing" window that doesn't store cookies. This is available on computer or phone.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #4342
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
He's lucky. People who run from police are more likely to be shot.
In this section of Boston, 90% of the police and fire departments are manned with folks from the neighborhood. Pirate went to school with most of the men who are on the force in this part of Boston. Very rarely do they pull their guns. And only if they have been shot at first. Also, because of the streets being so narrow, no patrol car is allowed to do a chase. They try to get the plate number and work from that. This is not a city that riots. We may demonstrate, but not riot. Boston is loaded with college kids. They know if they riot, they WILL get tossed out of school. If that happens, they then have to face their parents who just paid out a few thousand dollars for their next semester. That tends to set the whole mood of the city. There are probably more college kids than bona fide citizens of the city. When Poo was in grade school then Jr. high, we knew the first names of most of the cops. And the majority of them were younger than me. Years ago when I was bartending, I used to serve the majority of the cops in this part of Boston. And I also worked for the BPD. So I know how they work.

If they remove their gun from the holster, they have to go before a review board. In the meantime, they have to surrender their gun, until their hearing. They know most of the young folks in the area they patrol. Without their gun, they feel almost naked. So they think twice before they remove it from the holster.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #4343
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In this section of Boston, 90% of the police and fire departments are manned with folks from the neighborhood. Pirate went to school with most of the men who are on the force in this part of Boston. Very rarely do they pull their guns. And only if they have been shot at first. Also, because of the streets being so narrow, no patrol car is allowed to do a chase. They try to get the plate number and work from that. This is not a city that riots. We may demonstrate, but not riot. Boston is loaded with college kids. They know if they riot, they WILL get tossed out of school. If that happens, they then have to face their parents who just paid out a few thousand dollars for their next semester. That tends to set the whole mood of the city. There are probably more college kids than bona fide citizens of the city. When Poo was in grade school then Jr. high, we knew the first names of most of the cops. And the majority of them were younger than me. Years ago when I was bartending, I used to serve the majority of the cops in this part of Boston. And I also worked for the BPD. So I know how they work.

If they remove their gun from the holster, they have to go before a review board. In the meantime, they have to surrender their gun, until their hearing. They know most of the young folks in the area they patrol. Without their gun, they feel almost naked. So they think twice before they remove it from the holster.
That may have been true years ago. Things are different now, all over. It's much more dangerous out there for police, and they don't always wait till they're shot at to defend themselves. I'm sure almost every cop thinks a dozen times before pulling their gun. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to test them by running.

And who's talking about riots? I was talking about your own son who ran from the police to "jerk them around."
Old 05-31-2015, 10:26 AM   #4344
Executive Chef

Of all the things mentioned that draws mosquitos, DH is average size, not obese, does not drink beer, eats a lot of sweets and no garlic. I think it's the sweets. I am smaller than he is, but more overweight than him for my gender. I eat garlic daily, but no sweets. I am type O but he doesn't know his blood type.

Long ago I heard that using some Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil is supposed to be a good mosquito deterrant, but DH won't use it. Too girly for him. I guess he'd rather get bit.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:37 AM   #4345
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Of all the things mentioned that draws mosquitos, DH is average size, not obese, does not drink beer, eats a lot of sweets and no garlic. I think it's the sweets. I am smaller than he is, but more overweight than him for my gender. I eat garlic daily, but no sweets. I am type O but he doesn't know his blood type.

Long ago I heard that using some Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil is supposed to be a good mosquito deterrant, but DH won't use it. Too girly for him. I guess he'd rather get bit.
I have heard the same thing about Bounce Outdoor Fresh fabric softener sheets, not sure if it is true or not.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #4346
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have heard the same thing about Bounce Outdoor Fresh fabric softener sheets, not sure if it is true or not.
We were told to stick one or more to your clothing. Stirling walked around with the dryer sheets sticking out of pockets, etc. He got bitten just as much as usual.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:15 PM   #4347
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We were told to stick one or more to your clothing. Stirling walked around with the dryer sheets sticking out of pockets, etc. He got bitten just as much as usual.

DH puts them (dryer sheets) under the car seats and also the living room sofa as an air freshener.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #4348
Master Chef

When I first logged onto DC, I had a petty vent I wanted to post. After reading through my subscribed threads, I've forgotten what it was! Guess it was pettier than I thought.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #4349
Master Chef

Why don't people unfold their paper currencies when handing money over? Half folds I can deal with but I don't like when customers hand me money that's been folded down to a quarter their size or even smaller as they pull them out of their purses, wallets, or pockets. I politely ask them to unfold them if they're folded down to less than 1/8 their size.
But of course, there are also many considerate customers that'll unfold the money before handing them over to you.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #4350
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Why don't people unfold their paper currencies when handing money over? Half folds I can deal with but I don't like when customers hand me money that's been folded down to a quarter their size or even smaller as they pull them out of their purses, wallets, or pockets. I politely ask them to unfold them if they're folded down to less than 1/8 their size.
But of course, there are also many considerate customers that'll unfold the money before handing them over to you.
Because some people are inconsiderate, just don't think.

I don't understand why anyone would keep their money folded more than once, unless they are jamming it into a coin purse. Folded once to fit in a small section of a wallet (particularly when dealing with more than one kind of currency) I understand. I have on rare occasion, when in a big hurry, jammed paper money in a pocket, but if you don't put all the bills together in a pocket, they tend to hop out when you take anything out of that pocket. I sometimes keep bills in a pocket, but always in one wad. I have to unfold it to take off one or more bills.