"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #4351
Master Chef

My mother became a folder when her vision started to fade. By using various folds and then storing bills in various compartments in her wallet she could keep track of the various denominations.

I only fold when I'm trying to slip someone a gift or donation and don't want them to know how much or how little I'm giving them until after I'm gone!

Old 06-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #4352
Master Chef

The worst folders are teenagers. Many keep their bills folded down to a size of a quarter.

Also, some adult males keep their currencies crumbled in their pockets. It's funny to watch them pull money out of their pockets and lay them on the counter.....like little kids. These people don't like cqrrying wallets.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #4353
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm just the opposite. I want all my bills laying flat in my wallet, arranged in denomination order, all facing in the same direction, all right side up.

On occasion, when it's really busy at the checkout, I take the bills I get in change and stick them in my pocket so I don't hold up the line arranging my wallet.

My two daughters, who both started out working retail, taught me to hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier when I pay. They are well beyond retail now but I still hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #4354
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm just the opposite. I want all my bills laying flat in my wallet, arranged in denomination order, all facing in the same direction, all right side up.

On occasion, when it's really busy at the checkout, I take the bills I get in change and stick them in my pocket so I don't hold up the line arranging my wallet.

My two daughters, who both started out working retail, taught me to hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier when I pay. They are well beyond retail now but I still hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier.
You just described me. But, when you stick those bills in your pocket, aren't they all together and folded once or twice?

I got ripped off at the bank. I counted my money carefully while standing in line. I handed the pile of twenties to the cashier. She arranged all the bills neatly while counting. She counted one twenty less than I had counted. I thought I must have miscounted. Then it happened again. I figure with all that rearranging of my money, she managed to drop a twenty somewhere. That was when I started arranging my money neatly. It never happened again, even though I kept going to that bank.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #4355
Master Chef

Same as Andy and Taxy here. All the bills in order, facing the same way, right side up. That's the way the cashiers have to put it in their cash drawers, so I figure it's only considerate to them and anyone who might be waiting behind me. I wouldn't want to hold up a line while they reconfigure the bills before they go in the cash drawer. Coins go on top of the open and unfolded bills.

I don't use cash very often, though. Almost always credit or debit.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #4356
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...But, when you stick those bills in your pocket, aren't they all together and folded once or twice?...

Folded once and into the pocket briefly. When I get back home, they go into the wallet.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #4357
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Same as Andy and Taxy here. All the bills in order, facing the same way, right side up. That's the way the cashiers have to put it in their cash drawers, so I figure it's only considerate to them and anyone who might be waiting behind me. I wouldn't want to hold up a line while they reconfigure the bills before they go in the cash drawer. Coins go on top of the open and unfolded bills.

I don't use cash very often, though. Almost always credit or debit.

Same here. I also usually use the CC. I'll also jam the change into my pocket so as not to hold up the line, then take it out later, smooth it out, and put it in my wallet according to denomination.

DH uses a wide rubber band as a "wallet". His bills are folded twice and rubber banded to his license and CCs.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #4358
Master Chef

How about when the checker hands you back your change? In what order do you like it?
Old 06-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #4359
Honey Badger

I've seen kids hand over quarter sized bills to a cashier.Boggled my mind as to why are you hiding something or just trying to be being cool messing around with the cashiers time? Chalked it up to after watching his behavior with his buddies.Must be a street cred thing. Jerkdom!

My kids have stopped shoving money into their pockets.
They found out if I find it doing laundry.I keep it.
They hate those txts "Thanks for the $20.00"
Old 06-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #4360
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
How about when the checker hands you back your change? In what order do you like it?

I'd LIKE it ready to go into my wallet but that doesn't happen. I don't expect a lot when I get bills back from a cashier. They are often turned every which way but are usually in denomination order.