"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #4371
Master Chef

Like Andy, I like my money all nice and neat. I used to have a wallet with a high-low section for the bills. I would put my "working money" in the upper section so it was easier to access, then the $20s would go into the lower level. Kinda like a restaurant having you sit at the bar while you wait for your table to be readied. Now that I have just one section, I fold each $20 in half and tuck the cut edges into the side seam. That way if I need another $20 it's easy to grab. Pretty much, though, we just charge every danged thing over $10 and then pay off the entire bill each money. You need to have good money management skills to trust yourself, though. We're good - I'm a tightwad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
How about when the checker hands you back your change? In what order do you like it?
Coins first, then the paper. It seems like whenever a cashier puts the coin on top of the paper we both end up picking coins up from everywhere!

Old 06-20-2015, 10:02 PM   #4372
Master Chef

Whether I'm shopping the little grocery up the corner or Market Basket, the age or gender of either bagger or cashier is a mixed bag. At MB, usually see the older front-end workers if it's early in the day - school hour times. But once school is out either for the day or for the summer, it's usually the younger set.

I don't care if I get old or young, male or female as a cashier, but I do prefer teen girls or elder gents to pack my goods. They tend to NOT put the ice cream under the boxes of tissues.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #4373
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Whether I'm shopping the little grocery up the corner or Market Basket, the age or gender of either bagger or cashier is a mixed bag. At MB, usually see the older front-end workers if it's early in the day - school hour times. But once school is out either for the day or for the summer, it's usually the younger set.

I don't care if I get old or young, male or female as a cashier, but I do prefer teen girls or elder gents to pack my goods. They tend to NOT put the ice cream under the boxes of tissues.
It's the pointy corner of a milk carton in my bananas that I hate or soft things under the cans. Why are my tomatoes squished?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:25 PM   #4374
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We went to supper at a mid-range resto. The waiters wore white shirts and ties. So did the bus boys. We dressed a little nice. Why do most people go somewhere nice and wear shorts and a t-shirt when it isn't even hot? Almost no one was dressed "nicely". I really wish people would dress up a little. It wouldn't bug me if some of the customers dressed that casually, but almost all of them?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:27 AM   #4375
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We went to supper at a mid-range resto. The waiters wore white shirts and ties. So did the bus boys. We dressed a little nice. Why do most people go somewhere nice and wear shorts and a t-shirt when it isn't even hot? Almost no one was dressed "nicely". I really wish people would dress up a little. It wouldn't bug me if some of the customers dressed that casually, but almost all of them?
Many years ago I was just entering a restaurant. It was a somewhat fancy one with tablecloths and napkins, several pieces of silverware, etc. My partner and I were just entering and behind us was another couple. The owner was just about to seat us and asked us to please wait a moment. He asked the couple behind us to follow him. We were watching to see what was happening. He brought them outside to the big picture window and pointed to a sign. Jacket and tie required for the men. No jeans allowed.

"See, I told you to dress nicely. You always look like a slob. Give me the credit card. I am going to eat without you. Go home and wait for me."

He handed her the card and then slunk away. I felt so bad for her. I asked my partner if he minded if I invited her to come to our table. The three of us had a lovely meal, and my partner picked up her tab also. I have the feeling that there was a big fight in that home that night.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:47 AM   #4376
Chef Extraordinaire

My youngest son had a semi-formal wedding. A lot of the guests who were friends of the bride came from out of state. On the wedding at the bottom, it stated that the wedding was a formal affair. The wedding was at eight p.m. with the reception after. Evidently some of them (make that a lot) young folks can't read or just didn't care. Who do you know that wears short and a tank top to a wedding? My son was horrified. He wanted to ask them to leave. His bride talked him out of it. But she never acknowledged their presence at the reception. Poo and his bride went to every table to thank them for coming. Except for the one with the improperly dressed guests. I am sure the improperly dressed guests felt very uncomfortable. The majority of women were in gowns and the others had fancy cocktail dresses on. I hope the young people learned a lesson that night.

My son and his new bride told the photographer not to take any pictures of the offending guests. He didn't want them in their wedding album. I told him was behaving in a very rude manner. After all they came from out of state. And I didn't raise him to be rude.

"No one is going to insult my wife and turn our wedding into a circus for themselves." I walked away. I had my say. And her mother felt that her daughter and my son were doing the right thing. Not my place to interfere. We don't talk about it to this day.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #4377
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm just the opposite. I want all my bills laying flat in my wallet, arranged in denomination order, all facing in the same direction, all right side up.

On occasion, when it's really busy at the checkout, I take the bills I get in change and stick them in my pocket so I don't hold up the line arranging my wallet.

My two daughters, who both started out working retail, taught me to hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier when I pay. They are well beyond retail now but I still hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier.

Exactly the same here.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 06-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #4378
Master Chef

Maybe it's the culture I was brought in, maybe I am too old fashion, but I can't stand jeans at the weddings or other such affairs. People go to church and synagogue like that, drives me crazy. Was at the funeral one time, this one girl was wearing skirt so short you could see her tonsils. Disgusting.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 06-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #4379
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Like Andy, I like my money all nice and neat. I used to have a wallet with a high-low section for the bills. I would put my "working money" in the upper section so it was easier to access, then the $20s would go into the lower level. Kinda like a restaurant having you sit at the bar while you wait for your table to be readied. Now that I have just one section, I fold each $20 in half and tuck the cut edges into the side seam. That way if I need another $20 it's easy to grab. Pretty much, though, we just charge every danged thing over $10 and then pay off the entire bill each money. You need to have good money management skills to trust yourself, though. We're good - I'm a tightwad.

Coins first, then the paper. It seems like whenever a cashier puts the coin on top of the paper we both end up picking coins up from everywhere!
Around here they lay the paper in your hand first and then they lay the coins on top of that, then receipt on top of that. I don't like it that way but what are you going to say??
Old 06-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #4380
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Around here they lay the paper in your hand first and then they lay the coins on top of that, then receipt on top of that. I don't like it that way but what are you going to say??
Around these parts the receipt is at the bottom. The coins are not hidden under the receipt......less chance of coin droppage.