"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #4381
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Driving home from getting the propane tank filled, I had to honk at a driver doing something stupid. We were making a left turn from one of two left turn lanes, while the left arrow was on. The driver in the lane to my left obliviously decided to change into my lane in the middle of the turn, without checking if the space was vacant.

Not only is it illegal in Quebec to change lanes in an intersection, it's just plain not a good idea. It's also not such a hot idea to change lanes without making sure there isn't someone else there. What is the matter with people? \end rant.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #4382
Master Chef

taxy, I'm glad you safely won the dodge-em car game. Sounds like that guy did not know two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. There's probably a Physics term for that, but I got only as far as Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
... I can't stand jeans at the weddings or other such affairs. People go to church and synagogue like that, drives me crazy...
I always thought that way, too. Then we moved to MA and settled into our new parish. It seemed that Father was a bit more liberal about attire than our pastor back in OH. When I mentioned to him that one of the younger Eucharistic ministers seemed to be lightly clad in her shorts and tank-top, he said something that made me rethink things. He said "I would rather the youth actually show up and participate in church and community than stay away because I wanted them to dress up". Skirts and shorts were still held to a modern Catholic length, though. With hands straight down along the leg, the hem better not come above a finger tip!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #4383
Master Chef

There is the concept in Judaism, of bringing people to Torah, rather than Torah to people. Meaning not to bring Torah to the lower level, rather bring the people higher up. But, that is not even the point. I am in airport in line right now, the family in front of us has thus Yong teenager daughter. She is wearing a bra and a ripped tank top over it. How or why anybody would allow their 13/14 year old do something like that is beyond me. The boarders between nice/modest/casual/sloty / formal/business have been erased. Maybe I am to much of a snob, but I do not like it. Never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 06-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #4384
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...Skirts and shorts were still held to a modern Catholic length, though. With hands straight down along the leg, the hem better not come above a finger tip!
Ill bet you wore a plaid skirt and blazer to catholic school.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #4385
Senior Cook

Quote:
There is the concept in Judaism, of bringing people to Torah, rather than Torah to people. Meaning not to bring Torah to the lower level, rather bring the people higher up. But, that is not even the point. I am in airport in line right now, the family in front of us has thus Yong teenager daughter. She is wearing a bra and a ripped tank top over it. How or why anybody would allow their 13/14 year old do something like that is beyond me. The boarders between nice/modest/casual/sloty / formal/business have been erased. Maybe I am to much of a snob, but I do not like it. Never will.
Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Tovarich! My grandparents came from Odessa! I agree with you. Kayelle and I remember that many years ago, a slip showing was a ladies' embarrassment.
Nowadays, they think nothing of having their bra straps showing. What's up with that??
Old 06-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #4386
Sous Chef

We went to a classical music concert tonight which was absolute heaven! My DH looked absolutely astounding in his grey suit, bold blue dress shirt, and multi-colored paisley tie.

I was dressed in a long sleeveless teal dress that reached nearly to the floor with a matching teal shrug, suntan knee-high hose and black ballet flats. I wore my pearl drop earrings, the matching pearl strand necklace and bracelet, and my marquise sapphire and diamond ring.

When we arrived at the auditorium, we were horrified to see everyone dressed casually, even in t-shirts and shorts! This was a Mozart and Schumann concert, and we were completely taken aback.

The musicians were wearing black dress pants and white dress shirts. We stood in line to congratulate the musicians for a superior performance, and they thought we looked terrific!

The musicians actually thanked us for dressing appropriately. However, this was in a college campus auditorium. Maybe that makes a difference, I guess, but really?

Did we miss something here? Does no one dress up for these classical music concerts any more? Holy cow!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:25 AM   #4387
Chef Extraordinaire

Pirate and I got into a conversation one day. He asked me about the dress code when I was just a kid. We were watching an old B&W movie from the 40's. He thought it was so neat that all the men wore hats and tipped them if they passed a women. Men wore suits, women dresses, except during WWII when they went to work in the factories. Women put on a hat just to go grocery shopping. Gloves were an absolute! And they always wore heels. Sensible heels. Even little kids had a dress code.

We always wore boots when it was raining. Sensible shoes, go to church shoes on Sunday. We always changed our clothes when we came home from school, or from church. Even little girls wore a slip. Boys wore T shirts under their shirts.

Baseball players wore baseball caps. Everyone else wore a hat. Pirate always states that he wishes he lived in that time. So much so, that I may give up watching any movie from the 40's when he is home.

Just a footnote. My second husband came from the south. During the whole time we were married, he always stood up when I entered the room. Along with a decent dress code, proper manners seem to have gone out the window.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:33 AM   #4388
Master Chef

I like casual. At home, I live in sweatpants and sweatshirts, or cut-off sweatpants and t-shirts. However, I do have standards when I go beyond my property line. IF we ever go someplace nice, I don't wear jeans. We just don't go to those places often just because we don't. The fact that many people now wear more casual wear to church for regular services doesn't bother me. After all, people for millennium have dressed in the fashion of the day when attending church. At least I have a pair of "Sunday jeans".

Quote:
There is the concept in Judaism, of bringing people to Torah, rather than Torah to people...
Without getting all theological, it's the difference between "the letter of the law" and "the spirit of the law". That teaching seemed to have caused a little trouble about 2000 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Ill bet you wore a plaid skirt and blazer to catholic school.
Yes, I did. However, I attended school when the minimum length was no shorter than touching the floor when kneeling. I'm old.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #4389
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Yes, I did. However, I attended school when the minimum length was no shorter than touching the floor when kneeling. I'm old.
I went to public school and that was the rule when I was in junior high, what's called middle school now.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #4390
Executive Chef

I worked as a cashier right out of high school and was taught to keep bills all facing the same way, so I keep my money in my wallet the same way as Andy, all the same direction, by denomination. When I am given change, I walk away from the register, then stop and put it in my wallet. At that time it does not go by denomination, but when I get home I fix it.

Dress codes. I believe that fancy restaurants have the right to request a certain dress code if it's posted, but otherwise, I don't think it matters what a person is wearing. I see a lot of very casual clothes in church but I don't think God cares what a person has on. The important part is that they are in church. A friend was getting married and one of the guys in our group always wore jeans. Never dress clothes. The other guys told him he was going to have to get a suit etc to wear to the wedding but the girl spoke up and said he is her friend and she wants him at her wedding no matter what he wears. When I was young and went out to the dance clubs, we never trusted the guys who were dressed in suits.