"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #4391
Certified Pretend Chef

I grew up in a different era. When I was 14 I went on my first airplane. Mom dressed my up in a shirt, tie and sports jacket to fly on the plane.

Today I still tend to overdress for occasions. When I go to a "classy" restaurant, I wear slacks and a shirt with a collar. Most people do. When I see a guy come in wearing jean shorts, a muscle beach shirt and a beat up old cap, It bothers me. I realize that's my problem. If it's OK with the restaurant, it should be OK with me.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #4392
Executive Chef

Andy, I grew up in the same era as you. LOL I used to feel the same way as you do. I always made my step-children dress up for church, holidays, etc. I still dress up when I go most places. It's fine to wear what makes you feel good. I just no longer judge others by what they are wearing. I think this is because DH is a very casual dresser compared to me and I know he is a good decent person in spite of his blue jeans and tennis shoes. After 37 years, I'm used to it.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #4393
Executive Chef

Here is an article that popped up on my AOL screen this morning and reminded me of the discussion we had recently about mosquitos.

9 Foods That Make You Tastier to Mosquitos | The Daily Meal
Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #4394
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I grew up in a different era. When I was 14 I went on my first airplane. Mom dressed my up in a shirt, tie and sports jacket to fly on the plane.

Today I still tend to overdress for occasions. When I go to a "classy" restaurant, I wear slacks and a shirt with a collar. Most people do. When I see a guy come in wearing jean shorts, a muscle beach shirt and a beat up old cap, It bothers me. I realize that's my problem. If it's OK with the restaurant, it should be OK with me.
35 years ago slacks and and shirt with a collar would have been considered awfully casual for a classy resto.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #4395
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
".

Without getting all theological, it's the difference between "the letter of the law" and "the spirit of the law". That teaching seemed to have caused a little trouble about 2000 years ago.

:

Not sure what you meant

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 06-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #4396
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
35 years ago slacks and and shirt with a collar would have been considered awfully casual for a classy resto.

I know. 35 years ago I would have worn a suit and tie.

I was referring to modern times.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #4397
Master Chef

Since we're talking about dress up attire that's no longer done, even for dress up, how about bare legs with dresses? I sure never liked panty hose, but they were better than nothing! I refuse to wear a dress now because of that. Heels without hose feel terrible, and flawless legs are rare even for the very young. There's just something so unfinished about someone in a dress and no hose.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #4398
Master Chef

Kayelle, the "no-stockings" thing bugs me, too. It annoys me to see pretty, all-dressed-up TV anchors with their pricey dresses...and bare legs. Yuck. Looks completely unfinished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Not sure what you meant
It's long and theological, Charlie. Check your Personal Messages.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #4399
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
It annoys me to see pretty, all-dressed-up TV anchors with their pricey dresses...and bare legs. Yuck. Looks completely unfinished.
Being the leg man that I am, I completely agree! Take me back to the early 70's!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #4400
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Pirate and I got into a conversation one day. He asked me about the dress code when I was just a kid. We were watching an old B&W movie from the 40's. He thought it was so neat that all the men wore hats and tipped them if they passed a women. Men wore suits, women dresses, except during WWII when they went to work in the factories. Women put on a hat just to go grocery shopping. Gloves were an absolute! And they always wore heels. Sensible heels. Even little kids had a dress code.

We always wore boots when it was raining. Sensible shoes, go to church shoes on Sunday. We always changed our clothes when we came home from school, or from church. Even little girls wore a slip. Boys wore T shirts under their shirts.

Baseball players wore baseball caps. Everyone else wore a hat. Pirate always states that he wishes he lived in that time. So much so, that I may give up watching any movie from the 40's when he is home.

Just a footnote. My second husband came from the south. During the whole time we were married, he always stood up when I entered the room. Along with a decent dress code, proper manners seem to have gone out the window.
I think you're right! I remember the time when Mom and I went out shopping and we dressed nicely. I wasn't allowed to wear jeans until college. They always felt uncomfortable so Mom made me long skirts I wore with decent shirts.

However....I'd jump at a chance to hear Shumann any time, even if I need to wear a.............oh no never mind! LOL!