"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #4411
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Maybe you could talk to a Supervisor and find out what you need to do to get his account to be a joint account.

My Mom added me to her charge account, and arranged for me to have my own card on the same account with my name on it.
Yes, we discussed that today. Next Monday we will be going to see about a joint card. I already have my own card for the joint checking, both of us should be on the credit card, too! I don't want to have to build "my own" credit in the future.
__________________

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #4412
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, we discussed that today. Next Monday we will be going to see about a joint card. I already have my own card for the joint checking, both of us should be on the credit card, too! I don't want to have to build "my own" credit in the future.
A little known fact. Banks and other financial institutions have someone read the obits in the morning and if any of their customers' name show up, they check to see if it is a joint account. If it isn't, they freeze the account immediately and you have to get a court order and go through probate to be able to get access to it. That included safe deposit boxes also. For that reason, my daughter's name is on all my accounts. More than likely, your spouse will need some cash upon your death. Being able to gain access to their account if there is more money in it than yours can save the day for the surviving spouse. Just thought you would like to know.

How do I know this? I took a six week course in banking. At the end of the course when I discovered how little bank employees get paid, I decided to go back to being an Executive Secretary. Also did you know if you are $10 or less overdrawn for a check that has insufficient funds in the account, the bank will usually honor it and take out the difference at your next deposit. You will still be charge any applicable fees. Just don't make a habit of it. They have the discretion of closing your account and give you a check for the balance.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #4413
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, we discussed that today. Next Monday we will be going to see about a joint card. I already have my own card for the joint checking, both of us should be on the credit card, too! I don't want to have to build "my own" credit in the future.
Something to check on. If you're joint with Shreck on a credit card, I don't think you get any credit rating benefit. Many married women who are widowed or divorced find they have no credit because they never had their own credit.

If you each have your own separate credit card accounts with the same bank, you can often link them so you are able to do transactions on each others accounts.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #4414
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Something to check on. If you're joint with Shreck on a credit card, I don't think you get any credit rating benefit. Many married women who are widowed or divorced find they have no credit because they never had their own credit.

If you each have your own separate credit card accounts with the same bank, you can often link them so you are able to do transactions on each others accounts.
The problem here is, he got the credit card on my credit rating, everything we have except this credit card we are joints owners of, i.e. the car, the checking account, the bills. I have been paying for everything on my own since he retired 5 years ago. So, you are saying I should go get my own credit card?
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #4415
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,825
I think it worth discussing this with the bank/financial adviser to understand the differences.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #4416
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,305
Thanks, Andy!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #4417
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,586
I need a holiday! Without children lol!
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #4418
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
A little known fact. Banks and other financial institutions have someone read the obits in the morning and if any of their customers' name show up, they check to see if it is a joint account. If it isn't, they freeze the account immediately and you have to get a court order and go through probate to be able to get access to it. That included safe deposit boxes also.
Are you sure this still applies Addie? My father died in 2004 and some of his accounts were active until just last year when we found the last one and rolled it over to Mom. Nothing was frozen though. Not credit cards, not bank accounts, everything remained active until we provided a death certificate to the bank, the phone company etc etc.

My petty vent of the day is that I have so many little chores I'm avoiding doing ANY of them. LOL. Stupid internet being so stupidly entertaining!

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #4419
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,843
I wrote to the mayor today. I'm a bit peeved that I put out one bag of garbage every 6 months and pay the same on my property tax bill as my neighbour who puts out 6 bags every 2 weeks. I recycle, compost, and burn (I have a woodstove to heat my house). I don't buy a lot of canned or bottled goods. Why can't the city do a "tag per bag" thing so those who don't put out a lot of garbage don't have to pay???? Oh, and my green bin, that's what I use to store the girls' food. My three composters work just fine for "biogradeable" waste.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #4420
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,999
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Are you sure this still applies Addie? My father died in 2004 and some of his accounts were active until just last year when we found the last one and rolled it over to Mom. Nothing was frozen though. Not credit cards, not bank accounts, everything remained active until we provided a death certificate to the bank, the phone company etc etc.

My petty vent of the day is that I have so many little chores I'm avoiding doing ANY of them. LOL. Stupid internet being so stupidly entertaining!

I'm pretty sure that here in Canada those banking rules vary by province.

I know that, in Quebec, they used to freeze safety deposit boxes immediately they were aware of the death of any of the owners of the box, even if it was joint. Used to cause a lot of trouble when people had put life insurance policies in the box. They stopped doing that a number of years ago.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.