"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #4451
Master Chef

I certainly don't like offensive language, but on the other hand, occasionally it fits.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #4452
Master Chef

That was a major biggie back then!

Old 07-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #4453
Master Chef

Yep, and people were horrified then Cheryl! Now days REALLY foul language is heard every day and the shock value has missed the mark. It's pointless, silly, and boring.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #4454
Master Chef

Cheryl, I think I would have gone over to that woman on the phone and given her a talking-to. What an obliviot!

I've heard opinions on swearing from two different views. My Mom swore. Not the big, "major key" kind of words, but she wasn't shy to let a "minor key" d___, cr__, or h___ slip out now and then. She always told me that HER Mom would say that if you said "dang" or "shoot" but really wanted to use the swear word, use the swear word. If you didn't, you were being dishonest. I'll admit to being "honest" on an occasion or two.

Meanwhile, Himself had a high school teacher who told the class that there were hundreds of thousands of words in the English language. If they had to resort to to using a swear word, they had better expand their language. To this day, I almost never hear Himself swear. If he does, I run for cover! Needless to say, when he told me he was laid off he sounded a lot like my Mom.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #4455
Master Chef

CG, I gave her the eyeroll but she was oblivious to everything around her. In today's crazy world, one has to be careful - people have been shot for less!

I agree with you Kay - it doesn't have the shock value it used to, but I just wish people would be more considerate of little kids within hearing distance. Not going to happen though. As CG said they're "obliviots" - love that word.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:04 AM   #4456
Master Chef

Obliviot - credit where credit is due

Thanks, Cheryl, I like the word too. I can't take credit for it though. It was coined (or popularized) by Randy Cassingham, creator of the weekly humor newsletter "This is True". After posting a real newspaper story about the follies of individuals, he gives his own one-sentence take on the story from an off-kilter view. Some weeks I practically roll on the floor laughing by the time I'm done with the newsletter. I highly recommend subscribing. It's a great way to end the week.

I'm also amused by the fact that I'm recruiting new subscribers for the newsletter here at DC. It was through "This is True" that I found out about DC! In the past (but no longer), Randy would mention a Bonzer Website of the Week. DC was that week's web site, I signed up, and (as the saying goes) the rest is history.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #4457
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I got a reply email from corporate Dominos thanking me for my concerns and that he will contact the owner of that store and let him know about it. It seems that franchises that are locally owned don't exactly bend over backwards to keep you happy. You could send corporate a photo of the worst looking restaurant product and all corporate will do is thank you and send along your concerns to the local owner of that franchise, nothing more, not even an apology or maybe a gift coupon to make up for it. It's just feedback to them. I wonder why they ask for your address on that form? We'll see if I get anything in the mail from them. I doubt I will.
Wrong! I was wrong. A regional manager emailed an apology to me and I now have credit for 4 free pizzas any size any toppings, 4 sides, and 4 drinks. I have to phone in my order and give them my telephone number so it works out on their accounting end, not a big deal to me. Sweet. I emailed the rep back thanking him. I was expecting nothing.

See? now that is what I call good public relations. I'd like to have a job like that. I realize his job entails a lot more. I like Dominos.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #4458
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Nice to "hear" that Caslon.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #4459
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Thanks, Cheryl, I like the word too. I can't take credit for it though. It was coined (or popularized) by Randy Cassingham, creator of the weekly humor newsletter "This is True". After posting a real newspaper story about the follies of individuals, he gives his own one-sentence take on the story from an off-kilter view. Some weeks I practically roll on the floor laughing by the time I'm done with the newsletter. I highly recommend subscribing. It's a great way to end the week.

I'm also amused by the fact that I'm recruiting new subscribers for the newsletter here at DC. It was through "This is True" that I found out about DC! In the past (but no longer), Randy would mention a Bonzer Website of the Week. DC was that week's web site, I signed up, and (as the saying goes) the rest is history.
Thank you, CG! I'll check it out! I first heard about DC from a former member here who hasn't been on in ages....not sure I even remember her name - we used to belong to the same crime following forum about 12 years ago.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #4460
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Stirling woke me to let me know that he was hearing that siren/horm noise they make when you have to move your car. I usually park in the underground garage, but it is being cleaned and fixed, so we were asked to park on the street.

Sure 'nuff, there were some No Parking signs up. Luckily I didn't have to move my car. They were installing the unwanted, ugly "superboxes" where we will have to go to get our mail. I drove to the health food store and parked my car closer to home. Then, this afternoon, they started installing one on my side of the street, right next to my car. Had me a bit worried. I was blocked in by the flatbed truck with the superboxes and concrete bases. That's my "lunar gold" Volvo next to the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150702_113956.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	23067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150702_163857.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	23068