"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #4461
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...They were installing the unwanted, ugly "superboxes" where we will have to go to get our mail...
Oh No, taxy! Those are horrid contraptions. Those became very popular in our part of OH in the 1980s. When we were looking to build our second house we made sure we didn't look in any neighborhood that would be required to get them. We were lucky and dodged that bullet. I'm sorry that you're having to use them.

Our daughter's condo neighborhood has them. Has for decades. They're all rusted, the doors are difficult to operate, and when she gets a big package there is this whole circus act to go through to make sure you get to the rental office at the right time to pick your package up. Big, Big Pain.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #4462
Executive Chef

Cooking Goddess, when I was a teen, the minister of our church talked to the youth group about swearing, and said the same thing that your mother said. If you use the substitute word, it's the same as using the actual word. Well, let me tell you, I baby sat for him and when he got angry, he said "Oh Fiddlestix." Now what word was that a substitute for?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #4463
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I had a look at our garage. It doesn't look like they have done any cleaning or anything else. That really annoys me, that I have to park on the street for no good reason. grrrr
Old 07-04-2015, 02:24 AM   #4464
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I had a look at our garage. It doesn't look like they have done any cleaning or anything else. That really annoys me, that I have to park on the street for no good reason. grrrr
I was right. They haven't done anything. Today we got another harpering letter from the condo association, telling us that the company will be starting work today, 2015-07-02 for a week to 10 days. It's the exact same letter, but that one said the work would start 2015-06-29.

I am really angry that they didn't inform us of this change, after requesting that we park on the street. My condo fees are higher than the condo fees of people who have a parking spot in one of the lots. I'm going to have to clean bird poop off my car.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:50 AM   #4465
Chef Extraordinaire

I am so P.O.'d at myself right now. I never miss the 4th celebration on TV with the Boston Pops on the Esplanade.

This past month I have been having some serious health problems. The medications that I have been given have been knocking me for a loop. I can be talking to you and in the middle of a conversation, I am sound asleep. With the snoring and all. So I don't travel too far from my bed. I wake up say hello, carry on a conversation, and back to sleep. And the best part is I never remember waking up and talking to Spike or Pirate. Not a single word. I don't even remember if I ate or had anything to drink.

Well I woke up just as the concert was starting. Back to sleep in a nano second. I missed the whole thing. When I came to again, Pirate had something else on and I start yelling at him for changing the station. He tells me to look at the clock. I just missed five hours of life again! I need a change in medications. I do not want to spend the last years of my life sleeping it away.

But I do have to admit, it has been a fun game with Pirate asking me if I remember talking to him or asking him to cook something for me or any other little tidbit. Nope, not a bit of it. Now, I wake up for maybe five minutes and do not remember what I did or said in that short time. I personally think it is part of sleep walking. It is a lot of fun playing with his mind. And I am not even doing it deliberately.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:34 AM   #4466
Chef Extraordinaire

Aha! I did not miss the Pops concert after all. What I saw on the TV last night was a short piece from last years concert. And the rehearsal for tonight's concert. So I am all set to listen to it tonight. Oh please let me stay awake.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:56 AM   #4467
Chef Extraordinaire

I am so sorry you have to miss the greatest part of our celebration

To all our members who live in California. Our newscasts here are telling us that so many communities are banning fireworks due to the drought. What better way to end the celebrations of our country's freedom. It is almost like they are taking away one of America's rights of celebration. Here's hoping there are controlled fireworks near you that you can even see from your own home. Here, it is a tradition that those Bostonians that don't make it down to the waterfront or in town to see ours, they take to their flat roofs. I know of a lot of folks that even have parties up there where it is cooler on a hot summers eve.

God has been so good to this country. And now he sends not only a devastating drought, but because of it, another freedom of expression, has to be denied. Hopefully, right behind all of this concern for the danger of wildfires, a dang good one hell of a rainfall comes your way. One can only pray. I feel your pain.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:58 AM   #4468
Head Chef

Chip clips. Shouldn't they be 45 cents each instead of 3 for $5.84? 2 cents worth of plastic and 1 cent worth of steel paperclip to make it work. I'm gonna have to hit up Dollar Tree.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:49 AM   #4469
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Chip clips. Shouldn't they be 45 cents each instead of 3 for $5.84? 2 cents worth of plastic and 1 cent worth of steel paperclip to make it work. I'm gonna have to hit up Dollar Tree.
LOL...mercy! I keep the hangers that pants and shorts come on from the stores, and cut the clip ends of them off and use those along with wooden clothespins and even jumbo paper clips for lighter stuff.

We've had a bunch of rain so the ant battle is on again in the garage. We sprayed the outside of the house and in the entry point in the garage. Bleah! This is twice now!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:56 AM   #4470
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
LOL...mercy! I keep the hangers that pants and shorts come on from the stores, and cut the clip ends of them off and use those along with wooden clothespins and even jumbo paper clips for lighter stuff.

We've had a bunch of rain so the ant battle is on again in the garage. We sprayed the outside of the house and in the entry point in the garage. Bleah! This is twice now!

I do the same! Use a pruning shears and whack them off, free chip clips! They're also good for rolling up toothpaste. I also have used wooden clothespins to close bags.

Ants suck. The best repellant I've found is Terro, but that's for inside.