Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just found out via Facebook that one of the winners of the baking contest I entered recently apparently sells baked goods at the downtown farmer's market...
Good thing it wasn't your category. I would be right there beside you shouting "Rigged!" in front of her stand. :angry:

...the woman who was the one checking in the entries, also had entered a dish. Guess who won? Right, not me, not the next person, but the woman checking us in...
Instead of not entering, maybe you should while pointing out the conflict of interest with the people who run the contest using that check-in person. The contest organizers should be responsible enough to make that person choose between being involved on the organizational level or as a contestant, not both. Unless you live in a town of 12. Kinda hard to run a contest when only one person is able to enter. :LOL:

Your point was clear. We were being duped by the 9/10 of a cent on gas prices. That gas companies thought we were stupid.

The fractional suffix is irrelevant if everyone does the same thing. Same with $1.99 pricing. Am I fooled into thinking the price is a dollar instead of two? If every retailer uses the same "let's trick the masses" logic, the trick becomes ineffective. You are, after all, comparing one retailer's price to another.

LOL! It was NOT that we were being duped...that's why I said most didn't get my point. It was the fact that you, me...you know...smart folks automatically make mental adjustments for something as blatantly silly as 9/10 of a cent that never changes on gas prices and is irrelevant at modern day gas prices.

It's a relic from when they used to dispense gas in to a clear vessel so you could see it before it went in to your tank...and when gas was priced in cents...and a tenth of a cent actually meant something.

It is the fact that this relic remains and why? No one is being fooled and in fact...like you all made a point in telling me...it is irrelevant...so why would they still have that on the price signs? I was simply saying "THEY" must think people are fools...or know some are, otherwise they would not continue such foolishness.

I'll drop it now...like my jaw did when I saw how far off people perceived my posts. A lesson learned. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the venting thread is meant for serious topics. For joking around, try this forum: Jokes and Games - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

That appears to be sage advice G.G. there is definitely a whole lot of "Serious" in here. Mine was a proper vent in my mind, albeit a little tongue in cheek but whoosh...right on past the crowd...

Your advice is well taken. I am a newbie and still figuring out where the prickly spots are...and there appear to be some to avoid here. Discovered that on my very first post.

I have life tragedies, ills, and aggravations like everybody else but cooking to me is the escape from that. I'm here as part of that "escape"...not to take stuff too seriously.

Thank you!

ARGH!!

Okay, so my younger sister married (her 2nd) 2 months ago.
We were unable to attend the festivities and sent a very nice card
along with a substantial amount of cash (of which I DID NOT want to do, but DH insisted, I feel she's a ingrate) .
Today in the mailbox I had something from her (I recognized her handwriting).
I open the envelope and I find a slip of paper with a handwritten note in Sharpie, "Thanks". That's it!
SAY WHAT?! (I could use stronger language but I'm lady :censored:)
Funny, I was just thinking last night that I probably WON'T get a thank you card from her, because, well that's how she is, and I know it and honestly didn't except any different from her. (you'd never know that we were raised by the same Mother and Father)...
ARGH! :furious:

Ever looked at a savings coupon? It has a value of 1/10 of one cent cash value printed on it. If you collect 10 of them, does that mean together they're worth one cent? I don't get it.

Last edited:
What has happened to the days when ad agencies WROTE jiggles? So many products being advertised use songs from our past that meant something to us....be it a relationship, a special time in our life, are now being used to advertise mops, cleaning products, cars, etc. Have copywriters become a thing of the past? "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what relief it is!" "My balony has a first name, it's M A Y E R, my balony has a second name it's O S C A R" "You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!" These make you think of the product, the songs make me think of my life, not a MOP or whatever they are attaching the song to. Drives me CRAZY! (Yes, I'm a former advertising executive from the Mad Men era, when we wrote jiggles that people could identify with the products.)

Why Don't People Read Signs Anymore?

We've had such a problem with solicitors and j/w's ringing our door bell at all hours of the day and night that we put up in a clearly visible area a No Soliciting sign.

Why do they still ring the bell?
You should have seen what was just ringing my door bell.:wacko:

Yeah, I'm going to answer the door for someone who has her hand in her purse the whole time.Dark glasses, big hat.I don't think so!:ohmy:

We've had such a problem with solicitors and j/w's ringing our door bell at all hours of the day and night that we put up in a clearly visible area a No Soliciting sign.

Why do they still ring the bell?
You should have seen what was just ringing my door bell.:wacko:

Yeah, I'm going to answer the door for someone who has her hand in her purse the whole time.Dark glasses, big hat.I don't think so!:ohmy:
I have found that if the JWs won't quit coming around, having a naked man answer the door puts a stop to them. :ohmy: :LOL:

I have found that if the JWs won't quit coming around, having a naked man answer the door puts a stop to them. :ohmy: :LOL:

Works for us. It's DH's usual weekend attire. No wonder we haven't had any solicitors for years...

Come to think of it, the neighbors don't stop by very often either...

"A dollop of Daisy" remember that Sour Cream jingle ad music? I liked that little tune. They had to change it. It probably infringed on an existing music copywrited song.

Last edited:
From the first time I heard it, it brought back familiar memories but I just couldn't place where I heard that before. It sounds like a tune from the 50's or 60's but for the life of me can't put my finger on it.

They had to change it. It probably infringed on an existing music copywrited song.

Says who? I don't think this is true. Just because they change something doesn't mean they had to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, Verizon annoys me. How can I blow through 20 Gbs in less than a month when I don't watch videos, don't dare hook up to free Amazon Prime movies for fear of using up my bandwidth, and the only things I use internet for are DC, FB, and emails? We're rural, and Verizon is the most reliable internet service, but they're sending me to the poorhouse! I had to add an additional 10 Gbs for an obscene amount.

Once again, Verizon annoys me. How can I blow through 20 Gbs in less than a month when I don't watch videos, don't dare hook up to free Amazon Prime movies for fear of using up my bandwidth, and the only things I use internet for are DC, FB, and emails? We're rural, and Verizon is the most reliable internet service, but they're sending me to the poorhouse! I had to add an additional 10 Gbs for an obscene amount.

Yes they do have a way of putting us in the poor house.

While on vacation my husband called them to add a a little more Gbs to my phone.So that I could watch something while on long stretches of road.We were driving in places that had my nerves on edge.Needed a distraction.<<Munky...doesn't like cliffs>>:ohmy:

They gave him such a hard time about it that we almost cancelled our services to 4 phone plans.It was as though they didn't want us to purchase it.Wonderful customer service they have.:glare:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom