"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #4521
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks guys! Will just have to replant.

My formerly beautiful bush beans:
Attachment 23107
So sorry about your beans. Where's Elmer Fudd when you need him? I think you could use a good nimrod right now.

"A hunting we will go
A hunting we willgo.
Now where's that wascilly wabbit!"

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #4522
Executive Chef

Addie, after asking if they have a spoon around that they don't recognize I intend to ask if I can look in the downstairs kitchen to see if it's there. Upstairs they have their things they use on a day-to-day basis and would know right away if there was an odd piece there. Downstairs is a lot of "extras." Odds and ends. Normally they do their cooking upstairs and my step-son uses the downstairs kitchen for canning. For entertaining they use the downstairs because it has a big table and also connects right to the family room with the bar and people are able to spread out more.

The spoon is not a good piece, but something I use often because of it's smaller size.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #4523
Executive Chef

Dogluver, I have heard that scattering some moth balls through the garden will keep critters away from it. Never tried it myself. One time I put some under the deck so no critters would make a home under there and DH complained that every time he sat out he smelled mothballs. LOL
Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #4524
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's the letter "A" in an old-fashioned font:

]

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #4525
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Dogluver, I have heard that scattering some moth balls through the garden will keep critters away from it. Never tried it myself. One time I put some under the deck so no critters would make a home under there and DH complained that every time he sat out he smelled mothballs. LOL
A friend of mine tried mothballs for squirrels. He saw them playing with them. Another friend had been having issues with squirrels and finally found something that works: Deer Repellent | Plant Protection | Plantskydd Repellents USA It's made of blood and some other stuff, so it even fertilizes the plants.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #4526
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Why does that mean the nasty neighbor didn't do it?

He'd have to pick off every single leaf, eat or discard them, and leave toothmarks on the tops of the bare stems. The tomato plants remained intact.

The baby bunnies are so cute, and we have a bumper crop of them this year. The coyotes have not been doing their job.

Over the years I've tried many things to hold off the critter destruction. We live in a heavily wooded area, and there's a steady supply of critters, so now I just let nature take its course and replant when I need to.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #4527
Honey Badger

This isn't really a vent.More of a I said I would to help someone.Now I'm thinking it's not a good idea.

My neighbor had a medical emergency the other day.Her daughter laid in on my door bell to get some help.She told me her Mom was having a stroke, had collapsed twice was out unconscious for 30 seconds.She didn't call for help.When I asked her if she did she told me no.Then she called handed me the phone for me to talk to the people.She was just flipping out running around in a frantic rant all over the yard.I had to tell her to STOP! Take a deep breath, hold it, let it out slowly and calm down! This while I'm trying to talk to her mom who was laying out it the driveway.Every time I got her calm she ranked back up again.I wasn't about to move her mom.She could have had possible broken ribs hip arm head injuries that I could tell by just looking at her.

Anyways she left in an ambulance.Was home by that night.Unbelievable huh? It happened to my surprise.

Now he daughter has been calling me all the time.She's asked me to sit with her mom while she's out doing errands.Who knows how long that's going to take.

With them it's starts out as a small favor that I usually wouldn't mind doing.The problem is they in turn start expecting it as a daily, weekly thing.

Would it be rude if I just gave her my cell # to check on her.If she doesn't reply.I'll knock on her door.No answer I call for help?
Old 07-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #4528
Chef Extraordinaire

I think that would be reasonable, Munky. You can tell her truthfully that you have things to do but arrange for the mother to call or text you every half hour or hour to let you know she's okay. If you don't hear from her, then go check on her.

You could also suggest that they look into senior services in your area.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #4529
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think that would be reasonable, Munky. You can tell her truthfully that you have things to do but arrange for the mother to call or text you every half hour or hour to let you know she's okay. If you don't hear from her, then go check on her.

You could also suggest that they look into senior services in your area.
I agree.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #4530
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks guys! Will just have to replant.

My formerly beautiful bush beans:
Attachment 23107
I've got a Mossberg .22 Chuckster you can borrow.