"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #4551
Executive Chef

I would love to take meals to the elderly couple across the street occasionally but DH won't let me. Another neighbor does it, and their son called him one day and told him his mother got sick from the food. They have 2 adult children and the daughter is constantly there bringing food, doing laundry, etc, but the son won't do anything. The neighbors cut the grass, etc. I would not want to take the chance on someone getting sick after eating something I made, even if that wasn't the reason they got sick. You could be blamed and held accountable for a lot of things. Suggest getting the Medical Alert system and get yourself out of this situation. Maybe asking to be paid for your services would get you off the hook.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #4552
Chef Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, we have become a sue happy country. The problem with feeding the elderly, is you don't know about their allergies, food sensitivities, food likes/dislikes, are they diabetic, etc. Even favorite ethnic dishes. They may ask you to make a favorite dish and not tell you they can't have that any more. Today we live in a world of peanut butter. You just never know who is allergic to peanuts.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #4553
Chef Extraordinaire

Petty vent? Maybe I should go to the major vent thread.

My Senior Charlie Card (public transportation card for reduced price) expired last February 2014. I didn't bother to renew it because I also had The Ride. (Vehicle transportation at reduced priced.) At my last evaluation it was determined that I only needed The Ride if there was snow on the ground or it is raining out. Today it is sunny out and our 70 foot high pile of snow from this past winter finally melted this past week.

Now I know I still have some monies on my Charlie Card. I call the number, press 1, press 2, press 3, press this! Then hang up on me. Three times. According to all their recordings, if I wish to renew the card over the phone it can take as many as 6-8 week to process. By then we will have more snow on the ground. Or I can go in town on the T and go to Downtown Crossing that requires a lot of walking for me to change from the Blue Line to the Orange Line. I can get my card right then and there. If I could walk that much I wouldn't need the card. I am going to have to dose myself up with every pain killer I have in the house just to get there. I hope all their elevators or escalators are in working order.

Don't you just love government agencies that encourage your use of the phone services?
Old 07-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #4554
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Well that's a bummer Addie. And I'll bet you have to pay full fare to get there.

One of these days I have to get a senior's pass. At least I can drive to the place where I can get it.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #4555
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well that's a bummer Addie. And I'll bet you have to pay full fare to get there.

One of these days I have to get a senior's pass. At least I can drive to the place where I can get it.
Actually, I won't, one look at me an the bus driver will allow me to pay in cash $.80 instead of the $2.50 regular fare. I look like a senior.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #4556
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Actually, I won't, one look at me an the bus driver will allow me to pay in cash $.80 instead of the $2.50 regular fare. I look like a senior.
You're lucky it works like that. Here, you have to have the official senior's card. I don't think the machine will accept a reduced fare without that card.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #4557
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You're lucky it works like that. Here, you have to have the official senior's card. I don't think the machine will accept a reduced fare without that card.
Our bus drivers can override the fare box. A lot of our seniors just never caught onto the program. So the bus drivers are given some leeway for using their own judgment. Also children 11 y.o. and younger when traveling with an adult go for free.

As soon as I turned 55, I applied and was instantly approved with my card in hand to use on the way home. But of course I hate my picture. But I am stuck with it. Maybe they will take a new picture for me when I go in. Hopefully my picture is not still in the system.

I have my State ID and love the pic on that one. Too bad they can't use that one. That ID never expires. The new ones do. I will never have to get a new State one. Sometimes you get to hit the Lucky Button.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #4558
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I would love to take meals to the elderly couple across the street occasionally but DH won't let me. Another neighbor does it, and their son called him one day and told him his mother got sick from the food. They have 2 adult children and the daughter is constantly there bringing food, doing laundry, etc, but the son won't do anything. The neighbors cut the grass, etc. I would not want to take the chance on someone getting sick after eating something I made, even if that wasn't the reason they got sick. You could be blamed and held accountable for a lot of things. Suggest getting the Medical Alert system and get yourself out of this situation. Maybe asking to be paid for your services would get you off the hook.
I've been told not to make them any more dinners.Period!
Not after the other days request.Hubby's livid.He's now going to be dealing with them.It's already started.

Her daughter came knocking at my door before 9 am.I had just woken up.Was still in my jammies.So I didn't answer the door.Later when I opened it to leave to run errands.She had left garbage on my door step.
Unbelievable!

While out and about she txts me, she's assuming I'm her errand girl now.
She requested that I pick them up 10 whole chickens at a certain place.
Those chickens sell for $15.50 plus tax.

Still out, here's where Hubby is stepping in.He bought us a new phone that screens calls.Actually tells you whose calling.With an answering machine.

Her daughter came over while we were gone to bring our sons a frozen pizza.Made a comment to my son that she wanted more chicken.
She went home. Then Mom calls.You could tell that the answering machine threw her.
I was to call her back and set up a time to meet up with her.She didn't say why.

It's over.I went silent.Didn't answer anything.Keeping a low profile to the point I now have to sneak out of my own home or be bombarded.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #4559
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I've been told not to make them any more dinners.Period!
Not after the other days request.Hubby's livid.He's now going to be dealing with them.It's already started.

Her daughter came knocking at my door before 9 am.I had just woken up.Was still in my jammies.So I didn't answer the door.Later when I opened it to leave to run errands.She had left garbage on my door step.
Unbelievable!

While out and about she txts me, she's assuming I'm her errand girl now.
She requested that I pick them up 10 whole chickens at a certain place.
Those chickens sell for $15.50 plus tax.

Still out, here's where Hubby is stepping in.He bought us a new phone that screens calls.Actually tells you whose calling.With an answering machine.

Her daughter came over while we were gone to bring our sons a frozen pizza.Made a comment to my son that she wanted more chicken.
She went home. Then Mom calls.You could tell that the answering machine threw her.
I was to call her back and set up a time to meet up with her.She didn't say why.

It's over.I went silent.Didn't answer anything.Keeping a low profile to the point I now have to sneak out of my own home or be bombarded.
Definitely let hubby handle them. Keep a record of every time and date that there is any word or action on their part. And make sure to record all of your reactions also. Including how you felt. Upset, furious, etc. Do not erase any txts. Starting with the garbage incident. You might also consider reporting the condition of the home to the authorities. Do it as reporting a health and fire hazard to the neighborhood. The condition of the home is an attraction to vermin. They will be so busy dealing with the authorities, they won't have time for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #4560
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Strangest thing. DH told me, "You've got to see this," the other day. "This" was a 3 foot pile of gravel blocking off a part of our cul de sac driveway from the garage. We thought one of our nice neighbors just cleaned out his grate and was helping to fill a rut in our gravel driveway. But I'd just talked with him, and he never mentioned doing something like that. We ran into the nice neighbor when we were coming back from our walk today. He said he did NOT put the gravel in our driveway. It was the evil neighbor. NN told EN that we wouldn't be able to back our cars out, and to not dump the gravel there. EN said, "Well, the gravel has to go somewhere."

What a jerk! My first thought was to wheelbarrow it all back and dump it in EN's driveway. DH has plans for the gravel though, we'll smooth it out and fill a few ruts. Guess it beats paying for a load of gravel.