"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #4601
Master Chef

Carol, in case you haven't found it yet, this is the thread Chief started that he used to keep us up-to-date.

Need all the help I can get.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #4602
Honey Badger

Why Don't People Read Signs Anymore?

We've had such a problem with solicitors and j/w's ringing our door bell at all hours of the day and night that we put up in a clearly visible area a No Soliciting sign.

Why do they still ring the bell?
You should have seen what was just ringing my door bell.

Yeah, I'm going to answer the door for someone who has her hand in her purse the whole time.Dark glasses, big hat.I don't think so!

Old 09-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #4603
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
We've had such a problem with solicitors and j/w's ringing our door bell at all hours of the day and night that we put up in a clearly visible area a No Soliciting sign.

Why do they still ring the bell?
You should have seen what was just ringing my door bell.

Yeah, I'm going to answer the door for someone who has her hand in her purse the whole time.Dark glasses, big hat.I don't think so!
I have found that if the JWs won't quit coming around, having a naked man answer the door puts a stop to them.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #4604
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have found that if the JWs won't quit coming around, having a naked man answer the door puts a stop to them.

Works for us. It's DH's usual weekend attire. No wonder we haven't had any solicitors for years...

Come to think of it, the neighbors don't stop by very often either...
Old 09-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #4605
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Once again, Verizon annoys me. How can I blow through 20 Gbs in less than a month when I don't watch videos, don't dare hook up to free Amazon Prime movies for fear of using up my bandwidth, and the only things I use internet for are DC, FB, and emails? We're rural, and Verizon is the most reliable internet service, but they're sending me to the poorhouse! I had to add an additional 10 Gbs for an obscene amount.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #4606
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Once again, Verizon annoys me. How can I blow through 20 Gbs in less than a month when I don't watch videos, don't dare hook up to free Amazon Prime movies for fear of using up my bandwidth, and the only things I use internet for are DC, FB, and emails? We're rural, and Verizon is the most reliable internet service, but they're sending me to the poorhouse! I had to add an additional 10 Gbs for an obscene amount.
Yes they do have a way of putting us in the poor house.

While on vacation my husband called them to add a a little more Gbs to my phone.So that I could watch something while on long stretches of road.We were driving in places that had my nerves on edge.Needed a distraction.<<Munky...doesn't like cliffs>>

They gave him such a hard time about it that we almost cancelled our services to 4 phone plans.It was as though they didn't want us to purchase it.Wonderful customer service they have.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #4607
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Dawg, check your Facebook video settings. By default, when there's a video in your timeline - even if you can't see it yet - Fb starts playing it, usually with no sound, but it eats up bandwidth. You can turn it off in your settings.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #4608
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Dawg, check your Facebook video settings. By default, when there's a video in your timeline - even if you can't see it yet - Fb starts playing it, usually with no sound, but it eats up bandwidth. You can turn it off in your settings.

I know, it drives me crazy. I have to relearn how to turn it off any time I update my settings.

I still wonder if someone isn't tapping into my bandwidth. Some months there's hardly any used, other times the whole thing is gone after two weeks! Verizon doesn't let you carry over unused bandwidth.

Munky, I would love to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime movies like the city folk do.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #4609
Chef Extraordinaire

Fortunately, as much as I hate Comcast, I keep hearing horror stories about Verizon Fios. This building is hardwired for cable only. When RCN was laying cable in the hopes of getting the contract for this part of Boston, our former mayor signed a long term contract with Comcast. RCN laid this whole part of Boston with underground cables. Verizon has chosen to go the telephone pole route with their special fiber optic cables. They started to do the work and stopped instantly when they heard that Comcast had the contract. So this section of Boston will never know Verizon Fios. For any service that provides fiber optic service for any purpose.

Spike and Pirate were talking earlier tonight about how bad Verizon is.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #4610
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Oh boy am I glad that our internet plan is for unlimited.