"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #4641
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No worries, FF. We were all once newbies. I've been enjoying your contributions!

Regarding my previous petty vent, apparently my ice maker goes on vacation during Labor Day week. I'd pulled the unit and put in a couple of ice cube trays, and it decided to start working again this morning. I wondered why the plastic recycling bin was in front of the fridge. DH said it had been shooting ice cubes on the floor. Of course, he didn't think to put the original ice bin back in...

Old 09-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #4642
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Good example of a dumb criminal. Now, why didn't she run with the loot to the waiting getaway car instead of wasting time counting the money?
You answered that question yourself. The percentage of bank robberies on that highway is high. Only because you can head out onto the highway really quick and make a fast getaway.

My question would be, "Why did she want $20,000 specifically?" She even sat down to count it to make sure she got what she specified.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #4643
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My question would be, "Why did she want $20,000 specifically?"
Because they could have given her just bundles of singles instead to make it look like a lot of money if she didn't specify? And $20,000 is only 10 bundles of 20's and most teller stations keep at least that much, I think...
Old 09-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #4644
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
My Petty Vent

Okay, so for the past couple of years, DH and I have been visiting with Dear Niece-In-Law, she's such a doll!
Anywhos, she has a Keurig Coffee Maker and got my husband HOOKED on that style of coffee. So much so, that he asked Santa for one last year. (and yes, I realize the eco-pact of those stupid K-Cups, so much so that I use the re-fillable K-Cup, DH doesn't care for it).

So here's my vent:

I shopped around for sometime, looking for the prefect/best priced K-Cups that I could find. What I found is at Costco, Pacific Bold for approximately $0.03USD per cup. I've been buying this brand for about a year now.

The vent?
This most recent box of 100 count are EXPLODING in the machine!
As it shoots that super-heated water through the K-Cup, the foil top is blowing it's seam and making quite the mess.
Now mind you, it's not EVERY pod, but most.
We're just about done with this box, so I'm hoping that this was simply a fluke in the manufactoring, `cuz I've got three other boxes in my pantry that I hope I don't have to return, I don't thave the receipt from them!!!

Okay, I'll drop the mic now
Old 09-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #4645
Certified Pretend Chef

That's an unbelievable price for K-Cups. We buy Starbucks House Blend at Costco for about $0.54 per.

You don't need a receipt for a return at Costco. They'll have it on their computer.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #4646
Head Chef

Great, right Andy M?
Sometimes, alot of times, there's a "Instant Savings" which will bring them down a touch, $3 off or so per box. You certainly need room to stow these large containers though.
I was paying over sixty cents per K-Cup at Walmart and then we went to a dinner party last winter and the hostess set out her Keurig machine with a variety of flavors. The host asked DH if he liked really dark roast coffee, "SURE!"
He plunks a Kirkland Brand Pacific Bold in and DH was in love!

Good to know that I don't need a receipt Andy, Mahalo, thanks for that!
We'll see what happens with the next 100 count box... OY!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #4647
Senior Cook

I realize many people love the K-Cup but what is the fascination? You can make small amounts of coffee in any coffee maker and they taste like coffee. I've tried the K-cups and they taste like dirty water, no real deep, intense coffee flavor. I'll stick with my coffee make. I like coffee to taste strong and robust. JMO
Old 09-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #4648
Head Chef

K-Cup Vent

FF, I myself an not a coffee devotee but DH is and he feels that the bolder the better and the hotter the water the better the coffee, in HIS opinion.

The thing about coffee is that the water needs to be FORCED through the grounds to make that 'perfect cup'. Such as with a French Press, same idea.
If your cup is like dirty water, you may want to look for a better brand of beans.
JMO
Old 09-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #4649
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's an unbelievable price for K-Cups. We buy Starbucks House Blend at Costco for about $0.54 per.

You don't need a receipt for a return at Costco. They'll have it on their computer.
UMMM, I should probably hone my math skills Andy, what I meant to say was it's $0.33 per cup OOPS!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #4650
Master Chef

kgirl, I was wondering if you meant to say 30 cents per cup instead of 3 cents. Glad you clarified that, I was wondering where in the world you'd get such a great deal!

FF, I really enjoy my Keurig and dark roast kcups, they don't taste like 'dirty water' to me at all. Guess it's just a matter of opinion.