Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dawaglover, I hope you are feeling better by now. You sound like I was before my pneumonia was diagnosed. Hopefully it's not that!

I didn't get in on the gray hair discussion. My parents died in their 60s but neither of them had any gray hair, so I inherited their genes. I have highlighted my hair since my late 20s because I liked it, and the times that i let it grow out my hair was so dark it looked terrible, but the only gray I had was a few gray hairs around the temples. Everyone always thought I dyed it. Now I am back to highlighting again because the dark hair is too harsh with my complexion. I also do my own with products I buy at Sally's. DH pulls the hair through the cap and I do the rest. I doubt if a professional hairdresser could do a better job. ;)

Some men dye their hair. I don't. My dad was grey by thirty, and white by thirty-five. I have a few grey hairs on my head at 60, but not many. My beard on the other hand is salt and pepper, mostly salt, with a few pepper strands stubbornly holding on.

I'm not concerned at all with what color my hair is. I don't style it, cut it, or anything but keep it clean, brushed, and in a ponytail. I like it long as it, and the beard help keep my face warm in the sometimes extreme cold we get up here in the U.P. Besides, with my shaggy mustache blending into my beard when I pinch my limps together, I can magically make my lips disappear for the munchkins of family and friends. I love amusing small children.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
My father had red red hair. I got his red hair. And then three of my kids got his red hair. I hated it growing up, was so glad to turn grey. Now most of my hair is white.

My two oldest boys are now greying on their head, but their beards are still red. Like you Chief, Spike has a long pony tail. The tip of it is still a bit red, his beard is red mixed with salt and pepper. That dang red hair to me is a curse. Fortunately there is only a couple of G,kids that have been cursed with it. They were born blonde with a tint of red when they stand in the sunshine. :angel:

I changed my avatar picture to an image taken by our son. I thought I cropped it small enough to see the sign on the door, but apparently not so. If I crop it any smaller it won't have the same "feel", so I guess I'll just tell you all what it says.

Apparently, the business is a catering company. Their name? "Or Derv Foods". :LOL: I thought it was funny-cute. Hope you do, too.

I am a murderer, that is a rye starter murderer. It is third or maybe even fourth time that I kill my starter. I don't understand. 3-4th day it's doing exactly what it supposed to do. And then it just dies on me. Grrrrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

The section of Boston that I live in has been considered one of the safest areas. Very little violent crime. Lately there has been an increase in murders. Today two people were shot in the major subway station right on the train. Of course it had to happen right at the time people were beginning to come home from work. So you know the trains were crowded. Packed is more like it. All train service has been halted. And it is the line that serves Logan Airport. Looks like a lot of folks are going to miss their flight.

Poor Pirate. He got caught in this mess. He was in town at the stop just before where the shooting happened. The T rushed buses in town to get people to this side of the harbor. Now he is stuck on this side and in a store across the street waiting for a bus here to bring him home for the rest of his journey. If he starts walking in this bitter cold wind and low temperatures, he might make it home in a little more than an hour. Good luck to him. So much for feeling safe in my community. :angel:

My vent/gripe is that the use of turn signals seems to be optional these days? :) Half the people don't signal lane changes or turns around here.

I was following a guy yesterday (safe distance) but he did a panic stop and zipped around a corner without signaling. The streets were icy and he slid around. I was maintaining a safe distance, but still, it's silly and dangerous the way people drive.

My vent/gripe is that the use of turn signals seems to be optional these days? :) Half the people don't signal lane changes or turns around here.

I was following a guy yesterday (safe distance) but he did a panic stop and zipped around a corner without signaling. The streets were icy and he slid around. I was maintaining a safe distance, but still, it's silly and dangerous the way people drive.

At the side of the building I live in is a street that comes off a one way street on a hill. The police often have a car parked right outside my window and catches the fools that come racing down the hill as they turn the corner. The cop already has his engine running. So he is right after them as they pass him. A lot of times, at least once a week, a car doesn't make that turn. And sure enough it crashes into the guard rail right at the turn. Last week a car crashed. And you could tell he had crashed there before by the damage to his car. So he got a ticket for speeding and for damaging the guard rail again. They never learn. I consider these crashes as part of my entertainment package for living here. :angel:

DH was walking Beagle on her leash, and a neighbor's big weimeraner dog, who was not on her leash despite DH's instructions, attacked Beagle. Beagle put up a good fight, protecting DH. These people should not let this dog run loose. It's already bitten two people in the neighborhood. We have a lot of children here, as well as other dogs. DH plans to have another "talky-to" with this dog owner!

Last edited:
DH was walking Beagle on her leash, and a neighbor's big weimeraner dog, who was not on her leash despite DH's instructions, attacked Beagle. Beagle put up a good fight, protecting DH. These people should not let this dog run loose. It's already bitten two people in the neighborhood. We have a lot of children here, as well as other dogs. DH plans to have another "talky-to" with this dog owner!

I would tell DH to save his breath and call the police and or animal control to file a formal complaint.

Well that stinks. Aren't there any laws about nuisance dogs? Especially ones that have already bitten?

I would tell DH to save his breath and call the police and or animal control to file a formal complaint.

It wouldn't do any good. DH works with the dog owner, he will have a few words with him after he calms down. He's pretty furious right now.

Last edited:
You are required to report any and all dog bites here. Teddy was playing with me and one of his canines scraped my skin and broke it. Had to bring his dog license down to the police station along with the vets report of what shots Teddy had for the year and file a report. Even though Teddy is a family dog, and he just scraped my skin, it still is required to be reported. And you can't get a dog license in Boston, unless the animal has had his rabies and other required shots. And you have to get a new license each year along with the new report from the vet. A great money maker for the city. :angel:

We're sort of in the Wild West here. Out in the country. A friend's house across the highway caught on fire, and the city fire dept. let it burn, as they didn't pay taxes for the fire dept.

I'll let DH kick his butt. If that doesn't work, then I'll step in.

Last edited:
They go. We don't pay town taxes since we don't live in town. We pay taxes in the little town. I just found it cruel that the town fire department let their house burn down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom