"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #4691
Master Chef

Crooks and thieves and disreputable people. Hate them all.

Got a credit card fraud alert today. Some *%#!!/* jerk somehow managed to get our Discover card number and attempted to make two charges to our account. Discover is GOOD, shut them right down. AND our account, too. Oddly enough, just last week I mentioned to someone that Discover is so good they know you have a fraudulent purchase on your card even before it happens! Snap! I must have jinxed us.

The one funny take-away from this? The attempted big charge was for over $1500. Payee was "First Progress": "If you are looking for ways to build or rebuild credit, our full-feature Platinum MasterCard® is one of the best solutions available." The crook tried to roll over their balance from this company! Apparently, they haven't really grasped the concept of establishing good credit.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #4692
Honey Badger

All the hard work cleaning, sorting, boxing everything up just went up in trash!

I'm so tired right now it's not even funny.I put everything out on the curb for the donation truck last night for pick the up this morning. Just checked to see if it was. It wasn't.
What I did see was nothing but shattered glass.Nothing was picked up.

My son had forgotten and ran a few boxes over.He said he was running late for work, and was sorry about that when I called him to ask about it.

Now I have to get out there and sweep and clean it all up or buy a new set of tires.Just great, now I'm really going to get stuck dealing with my neighbors.

If I hear one "We need you to do this for us comment" I'll really lay into them.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #4693
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Oh no Munky! What a PITA. I'm sorry to read that happened. (((Hugs)))
Old 11-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #4694
Honey Badger

Got the mess cleaned up, reboxed just in time.I had just finished taping on the donation tag the truck pulled up.

Hubby and son are thankful I caught that.Tires for their trucks aren't cheap.
I didn't get caught by my neighbors either.That was close!
Old 11-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #4695
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My grumble is about rude drivers. I was driving home from shopping. The guy behind me was tailgating. I was going at the speed of traffic and keeping my two second following distance. Why tailgate? He wasn't going to get there any faster. We both wanted to turn left, so we got in the left turn lane. I stopped about two car lengths behind the car in front of me. Guy behind pulls up too close; honks; and throws his hands in the air. We make our turn. He saw me turn on my right turn signal, so he started to move into the right lane. I had enough space to make my lane change, so I did, since I had to turn right at the first intersection. He obviously didn't need to turn right, because he promptly swerved into the number one lane (the furthest left lane for your direction). Of course he didn't make a full stop at the stop sign. I think there was steam coming out of his ears. Grrr. It wouldn't have taken him one second longer if he hadn't been rude (and dangerous), in fact, if he hadn't been rude, he would have saved himself two lane changes in one block and maybe saved a second.
I hear you loud and clear Taxi! Little upsets me more than drivers like you just described, it just makes my blood boil.

On the other hand, deadly road rages happen every day and you never can tell just how out of control the other guy is.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #4696
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hear you loud and clear Taxi! Little upsets me more than drivers like you just described, it just makes my blood boil.

On the other hand, deadly road rages happen every day and you never can tell just how out of control the other guy is.
I get rid of any incipient road rage by calling them hosers, with the windows shut. I used to say rude things, but I realized they might be able to read my lips. As you wrote, you never know how out of control the other guy is.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #4697
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

DH lets fly with many hand gestures and epithets if another driver is being a jerk. I respond by singing, "I'd like to teach the world to drive, in perfect harmony." It doesn't work.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #4698
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DH lets fly with many hand gestures and epithets if another driver is being a jerk. I respond by singing, "I'd like to teach the world to drive, in perfect harmony." It doesn't work.
I love that! I'm going to have to remember that one. Hearing me sing will definitely distract DH from his anger
Old 11-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #4699
Chef Extraordinaire

God bless my daughter. I have been in the car with her many times when some ignorant driver decides to get a serious case of road rage. Fortunately none of it has ever been towards her. But I have been sitting next to her as she starts to make mental notes. Plate number if she can see it, color of hair of offender, actions taken on both sides, etc. Twice she has had to testify in court.

The only time I have ever gotten nervous was at a rotary. Both drivers got out of their car and my daughter took off in the opposite direction. They were already exchanging some serious blows.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #4700
Executive Chef

Yesterday we were traveling in the left lane of a 4 lane highway when we came upon a house fire. The person in the car in front of us decided to make a dead stop to watch the firemen fight the fire. You don't do that on a 4 lane highway. Good thing DH was watching the traffic in front of him instead of gawking at the fire.