"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #4701
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Glad to read that your DH was paying attention to traffic. No, you don't stop on the highway for stupid reasons. OTH, I wonder which is worse, stopping for a stupid reason or gawking while driving.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #4702
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Glad to read that your DH was paying attention to traffic. No, you don't stop on the highway for stupid reasons. OTH, I wonder which is worse, stopping for a stupid reason or gawking while driving.
Like most big cities, we have cameras on our main highways and they show what the traffic is like during rush hour. One station here reports situations like that as the "rubber neck effect." Traffic backed up for miles because of the rubber necks looking at the accident. It doesn't which side of the highway the accident is on.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #4703
Head Chef

Some rare older movies were never released on DVD, just VHS. However, Amazon has older movie titles never released to DVD which you can either rent or download to your pc. I don't want to watch it on my pc, I want to be able to view that purchased title and back it up to DVD to watch on my home entertainment system. Amazon won't allow that.

I don't condone copyright infringement however when you have paid for something as in 'bought', then it should be available for backup to a DVD-R to play on any unit. Rentals don't apply because that would be stealing.

I'm going to buck the system and their rules and find a program to remove the content protection so I can burn it to DVD. Please don't call the FBI on me.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #4704
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Some rare older movies were never released on DVD, just VHS. However, Amazon has older movie titles never released to DVD which you can either rent or download to your pc. I don't want to watch it on my pc, I want to be able to view that purchased title and back it up to DVD to watch on my home entertainment system. Amazon won't allow that.

I don't condone copyright infringement however when you have paid for something as in 'bought', then it should be available for backup to a DVD-R to play on any unit. Rentals don't apply because that would be stealing.

I'm going to buck the system and their rules and find a program to remove the content protection so I can burn it to DVD. Please don't call the FBI on me.
I'm not a lawyer, so don't rely on my advice. But, as I understand it, you are well within your rights to make backups of copyright stuff that you have purchased. What you aren't allowed to do is sell those DVDs.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:12 PM   #4705
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm not a lawyer, so don't rely on my advice. But, as I understand it, you are well within your rights to make backups of copyright stuff that you have purchased. What you aren't allowed to do is sell those DVDs.
Well, no, this is not correct. Purchases are made subject to the specific rights included in the purchase agreement. It's the same as with written works, which we have discussed before.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #4706
Head Chef

I told you, I may be up to no good. muuahahaha! Hope I don't go to prison. Let us refrain from this kind of talk.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:14 AM   #4707
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I told you, I may be up to no good. muuahahaha! Hope I don't go to prison. Let us refrain from this kind of talk.
So I guess you do condone copyright infringement after all...
Old 11-11-2015, 01:01 AM   #4708
Head Chef

I'd rather Amazon charge me whatever money, just let me own it (old titles they have that I want not out on DVD).

But you have me on this account...Terms of Agreement.

I should be in compliance and not petty vent about it.

I've not said I've circumvented the law, yet, but I've gotten to thinking about it.

It was a petty vent that shouldn't be carried too far.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:59 AM   #4709
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, no, this is not correct. Purchases are made subject to the specific rights included in the purchase agreement. It's the same as with written works, which we have discussed before.
I don't remember the discussion of written works.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping#United_States and DMCA Backup of Copyrighted Content | LegalZoom: Legal Info, it isn't clear that it is legal or illegal to make a copy as a personal backup in the US. It's illegal to make or distribute software that lets someone circumvent the copy protection.

At least I know for sure that when I make a backup copy of copyrighted material, it is legal here in Canada, as long as I don't violate a digital lock. The bill described in the following article, has been passed into law.

Copyright changes: how they'll affect users of digital content - Canada - CBC News
Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #4710
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

By discussing it in an open forum such as this, you have already outed yourself to the authorities. They have bots just looking for this kind of thing.