"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #4721
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Therefore I've turned to Amazon and am going to use programs that allow me to back up my purchase from them onto a DVD and play it on a regular player. It may be unethical, but that's just tough. Also, I can't be subject to arrest as they cannot detect me doing such. Do I feel guilt? Nope.
Congratulations on your honesty regarding your thievery!

Old 11-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #4722
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
There goes my restrain, when it comes to appliances I have none. I found the justification and bought it. The existing e was "I want". Now I have to make sure my wife doesn't find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Your justification - You want to see what it feels like to be a Christian for just one day and give yourself a Christmas gift.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #4723
Senior Cook

Why did he have to pop the button on his shirt. Doesn't he realize the entire closet is in front of the thread?
OK so technically it is just everything that was stored in that closet where we had a water leak. Leak was under the house and had to empty the closet to get to it.
Haven't put the stuff back up yet. Not till we are sure it won't spring another one.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #4724
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Some rare older movies were never released on DVD, just VHS. However, Amazon has older movie titles never released to DVD which you can either rent or download to your pc. I don't want to watch it on my pc, I want to be able to view that purchased title and back it up to DVD to watch on my home entertainment system. Amazon won't allow that.

I don't condone copyright infringement however when you have paid for something as in 'bought', then it should be available for backup to a DVD-R to play on any unit. Rentals don't apply because that would be stealing.

I'm going to buck the system and their rules and find a program to remove the content protection so I can burn it to DVD. Please don't call the FBI on me.
Look into this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast
Old 11-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #4725
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't remember the discussion of written works.]
At what point can you claim a recipe as 'Your Own'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping#United_States and DMCA Backup of Copyrighted Content | LegalZoom: Legal Info, it isn't clear that it is legal or illegal to make a copy as a personal backup in the US. It's illegal to make or distribute software that lets someone circumvent the copy protection.

At least I know for sure that when I make a backup copy of copyrighted material, it is legal here in Canada, as long as I don't violate a digital lock. The bill described in the following article, has been passed into law.

Copyright changes: how they'll affect users of digital content - Canada - CBC News
He isn't really talking about backing up something he purchased. He's talking about copying it to another medium so he can play it in a manner for which he does not have permission.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #4726
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
Why did he have to pop the button on his shirt. Doesn't he realize the entire closet is in front of the thread?
OK so technically it is just everything that was stored in that closet where we had a water leak. Leak was under the house and had to empty the closet to get to it.
Haven't put the stuff back up yet. Not till we are sure it won't spring another one.
Is this a riddle?
Old 11-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #4727
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Is this a riddle?
It was a short vent about husband losing a button and me having to move a dozen containers to find our sewing thread.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #4728
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
It was a short vent about husband losing a button and me having to move a dozen containers to find our sewing thread.
Ah. Now it makes sense Bummer.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #4729
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Your justification - You want to see what it feels like to be a Christian for just one day and give yourself a Christmas gift.
I hate auto-correct, as if it is not bad enough that I cannot spell or type, auto-correct makes it even worse.

never the less, my excuse of wanting it worked for me. Of course being a sucker that I am. I already told my wife. I'm sure she'll love it.

Oh, and Chanukkah is early this year, so I'm good.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #4730
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I hate auto-correct, as if it is not bad enough that I cannot spell or type, auto-correct makes it even worse.

never the less, my excuse of wanting it worked for me. Of course being a sucker that I am. I already told my wife. I'm sure she'll love it.

Oh, and Chanukkah is early this year, so I'm good.
So glad to hear that. So save the other excuse for when you might need it. Insert "birthday", "anniversary" "St. Patricks Day", "Graduation Day for your child, for whatever occasion, etc.