Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, you know you have my prayers and condolences. I'm so sorry, dear.

Sous, I didn't know you were married to Kayelle, and that is wonderful!

I am sorry for your loss. I was a widow at 38. I understand.

Gosh dang, I love you folks!

Last edited:
Right now, I believe I hate my Hyundai more than I hate this election cycle. You may recall that our Sonata was recalled and repaired because there was a problem with metal particles left behind in the engine when it was manufactured. The new engine is less than 1000 miles old. Right after merging onto the highway a puff of smoke poofed from the back of the car and the temp gauge needle shot right to "H". After calling our local car dealer, who had us call Hyundai roadside assistance, and setting up arrangements for both a tow and loaner car, Himself checked the radiator fluid. Appeared full, no moisture in the engine compartment, hoses OR under the car on the ground. Started up for the tow guy so he could pull it onto his trailer bed. No water under the car then, either. Himself thinks it may have burst a ring gasket.

Got our loaner. We'll find out in the morning what the mechanic finds. I hope whatever it is turns out to be a quick fix, because if we end up having to come back for the car Hyundai had danged well better comp our room for the night we'll end up staying. We can't do 600 miles in just one day anymore.

Taxy, we're in Pennsylvania, near Philly, about 300 miles from home. We came in on Sunday for Himself's cousin's funeral on Monday. Fortunately, it sounds like my car didn't die, too. I got a voicemail from the service advisor saying it was something minor and silly that caused the problem. We'll get the details when we pick it up. Hopefully, the next time I post about this will be from my laptop at home!

That's not fun, CG. Hope you get it fixed pronto.

Yes, I agree, GG. PA liquor laws are very strange. They remind me of Ontario's laws. You buy your booze at one store, your beer at a completely different store.

That's not fun, CG. Hope you get it fixed pronto.

Yes, I agree, GG. PA liquor laws are very strange. They remind me of Ontario's laws. You buy your booze at one store, your beer at a completely different store.

NH has similar laws. NH has state liquor stores that sell everything but beer. Grocery stores (and some others) can sell beer and wine only.

At Wal-Mart, in Nebraska, I can buy any type of beer or Liquor. Shocked the heck out of me when I saw an end cap of Jim Beam.

In PA, though, you can't buy just a six-pack at those beer-only stores. You have to buy a case. You can only buy six packs in a restaurant or bar! Too weird :wacko:

There was an article yesterday that the antidepressant Zorloft could possibly be the cause of autism if the mother took the drug during the second and third trimester of their pregnancy.

:angel:

I think times have changed. The younger people are not prepared for real life. SOme of them are not. I think it could always have been a problem, but to me, I am no authority of course, that is what is going on. It could be the older generation fault too, including me. We spoil our kids, we protect them from anything and everything. They have no idea what it means to work hard. They don't know what it takes to make living. They don't know what it means to survive in the real world. I might be wrong, but I think I am at least partially right.

Off topic. When I clicked on this thread I end up on the first page. Saw who started the thread, Alix. What ever happened to her? Does anybody know?

I think times have changed. The younger people are not prepared for real life. SOme of them are not. I think it could always have been a problem, but to me, I am no authority of course, that is what is going on. It could be the older generation fault too, including me. We spoil our kids, we protect them from anything and everything. They have no idea what it means to work hard. They don't know what it takes to make living. They don't know what it means to survive in the real world. I might be wrong, but I think I am at least partially right.

Autism is a genuine developmental disorder. It's not a behavioral problem.

This is a fascinating article about a doctor in Massachusetts who surveyed and examined people there and described autism for the first time, although it didn't have a name yet: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian

Silly little problem

The good news is, the car issue was a very minor one. The service advisor guessed that when the new engine was installed, the clip that holds the radiator hose to the engine (I think - I'm not the mechanic in the family) wasn't clamped far enough along the pipe, allowing the hose to work its way down to the end of the pipe and slip off. Since Himself pulled the car off immediately after it happened, all the diagnostics came back as AOK. I have to admit that everyone we've dealt with, from our first call to our MA dealer all the way to shaking hands with the tech today, has been the most pleasant bad experience I've ever had. :LOL:

BTW, Himself said he completely understood how you can end up not clamping the hose far enough along a pipe - he almost did the same thing when he installed our garbage disposal. :ermm: :ohmy: Good thing he checked, checked, and checked again before we ran water! :LOL:

I hate getting stuck without alcohol in Pennsylvania :ermm: :LOL: They have crazy laws there.
They've loosened things up a bit. On one of our recent trips through PA, maybe last year(?), we were actually able to buy a six-pack of beer in the Wegmans grocery store along our route. When I tried buying a six-pack of something he had at a family wedding in 2003 I had no clue where to go. Actually stopped at the police department (I figured they knew all of the trouble spots) to ask. When the dispatcher told me I would have to go into a bar to get a six-pack OR a distributor for an entire case of 24 bottle, I told her to point me towards the distributor. No way was I going into a bar alone to buy beer.

Off topic. When I clicked on this thread I end up on the first page. Saw who started the thread, Alix. What ever happened to her? Does anybody know?
Last time she stopped by, she mentioned how busy her life has been. Here's the link to that post, if you would like to read it: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/iso-cereal-snaps-95048.html#post1455173

Autism is a genuine developmental disorder. It's not a behavioral problem...
How did you think of autism as related to Charlie's post? I figured he was more likely talking about an unofficial condition, Peter Pan Syndrome. I still read your linked article, just because. Got about half-way through, then bookmarked it for a day when my brain is fresher. What I read was really interesting. And made me think of Dustin Hoffman's "Rain Man".

Thanks, GG. I didn't see that quote appear on either my tablet or phone, but there it was right here on the laptop.

Nice as it is to keep in contact with DC and Facebook and all, it seems mobile platforms just aren't "all that" when it's compared to a standard computer.

Thanks, GG. I didn't see that quote appear on either my tablet or phone, but there it was right here on the laptop.

Nice as it is to keep in contact with DC and Facebook and all, it seems mobile platforms just aren't "all that" when it's compared to a standard computer.

Yeah CG. I send my daughter an email and she only gets half the message on her tablet. She also mention to me that happens when she sends her daughter an email also. And my kids laugh at me for insisting on an old fashion desk computer. But I have more memory than they ever will. And I get all my messages. Completely! :angel:

Yeah CG. I send my daughter an email and she only gets half the message on her tablet. She also mention to me that happens when she sends her daughter an email also. And my kids laugh at me for insisting on an old fashion desk computer. But I have more memory than they ever will. And I get all my messages. Completely! :angel:

Yeah tablets are nice for watching Netflix or whatever on (media consumption device), but nothing beats a laptop or a desktop.

Can't write a school report, email, or a story on a tablet. Well you could if you use an external keyboard, but it's definitely not ideal.

My wife's best friend had to come over to our house every time she needed to print documents, forms, do her taxes, etc., as all she had was a Kindle Fire tablet. Her husband refused to get her a laptop -- "you have a computer already! I bought you that Kindle!" I told her "you earn as much money as him; go to Staples and get a $250 laptop and a printer, sheesh." :) Women's Liberation!

Last edited:
Reading back a few posts, I'm not sure having a Peter Pan syndrome is the worst thing in the world. I'm almost 60 and I still love to decorate my dollhouses or collect model horses or have rats and mice as pets. I had a boss who was just a couple years older than me and was horrified that I still "played with dolls". I had to bite my lips to keep from reminding her that I also dived straight into the internet when we first got our computers at work (because it was fun and I'm never too old for new things that are fun) and she still couldn't figure out how to use the back button.

That's what happens when you let your mind get old and inflexible.

Reading back a few posts, I'm not sure having a Peter Pan syndrome is the worst thing in the world. I'm almost 60 and I still love to decorate my dollhouses or collect model horses or have rats and mice as pets. I had a boss who was just a couple years older than me and was horrified that I still "played with dolls". I had to bite my lips to keep from reminding her that I also dived straight into the internet when we first got our computers at work (because it was fun and I'm never too old for new things that are fun) and she still couldn't figure out how to use the back button.

That's what happens when you let your mind get old and inflexible.

That's awesome. Too bad your boss could not see your hobbies as being a form of collecting instead of thinking you still "played with dolls."

I know a 60 year old geeky guy who goes to Toys R' Us every week to buy the latest action figures (sci-fi, horror). He keeps them in their packages.

Back
Top Bottom