Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't generally have a hard time with accents, but why do people have to talk so fast? You ask them to slow down and it's an affront to them. I just tell them I can't hear as fast as they talk. Of course they are probably wondering why I talk so slow...

I am one of those fast talkers. The further north you go in N.E., the faster we talk. Except for those folks who live in rural Maine. :angel:

Agree, PF. The two different companies I spoke to today just blurted. Didn't help that both folks had accents.

Addie, years ago, DH called his brother, who lives out east, at his brother's workplace. Guy who answered the phone yelled to DH's brother, "Hey, Scott, this guy sounds just like you, but he tallkks reeaal sloowww."

Last edited:
Agree, PF. The two different companies I spoke to today just blurted. Didn't help that both folks had accents.

Addie, years ago, DH called his brother, who lives out east, at his brother's workplace. Guy who answered the phone yelled to DH's brother, "Hey, Scott, this guy sounds just like you, but he tallkks reeaal sloowww."

LOL!!! My sister talks fast, years of being in Chicago and in New Jersey. She says she hates conversation, it's like each word is a cliffhanger.

I can't understand a word you're saying. Start over and don't run your sentences together as if you're bored and think we understand your unclear automaton gibberish. Can you do that for me? Can we start over?

Exactly my point. And you do speak English unlike me. That is why it so hard to understand the foreigners. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

And the sad part is after you've had enough of this you just give up and just pay the disputed bill by the due date no matter what so no late charges accrue and hope there's a credit of some sort on your next bill.

My petty rant is I get annoyed when I have set up camp on a relatively empty beach and someone comes and sits right on top of you. What is worse is when they have a dog which is not on a lead and it proceeds to cock its leg on your possessions to mark its territory and the owners are totally oblivious.

Is it just me?

Petty Vent/Rant

So ...

My husband and I have moved two counties away in the past month.
More than a year ago, I really can't recall when, I sent in my potential jurors questioner form in.

What do you think I found in our new Post Office Box, two counties and a three hour drive away from?

Jury Summons for June 24th.

My husband has put together a very precise document, requesting that I be excused, along with copies of our close of escrow on both our sold and our new, purchased home, two counties away.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem doing my civic duty and serving on a jury panel. I've done it in the past, although, since marrying my husband, I have always been graciously thanked and promptly excused. ;)

My energy provider sends me a letter to say they are doubling my monthly payments because my account now stands at £195 in the red..They didn't bother to contact me when one year it amounted to my account being £350 in CREDIT! :ohmy:
I phoned them and they asked if I could pay the £195 off straight away in order for the payments to remain the same ..£78p.m. After a lot of waffling on I got very annoyed and told them in no uncertain terms that either they put my payment at my suggested £90p.m. or I would find another supplier.
Job done!
Why do they have to wait until you get very annoyed and stressed before being reasonable? :wacko:

Umpires can be idiots

Oddly, my rant has nothing to do with a call made on a play. Rather, it's about the logic of rain delays, at times. I was listening to my baseball game online, as is my wont during the season, and the rains moved in. Now I'm not a meteorologist, but I can figure out that when there is a lot of yellow, orange, and red stretching from the baseball park westward towards the state line, it's gonna take awhile. When the game was delayed we were in the middle of the 6th inning. Indians were up on the Royals by a score of 5-0. And the entire time it took to play to that point? A mere hour and a half. After five innings it's an official game. The umps could have called it quits at anytime. Both teams need to fly out to play Monday games, too. Royals are headed only to Baltimore, but the Indians have to fly cross-country to play in Seattle. They finally resumed play after THREE hours and TEN minutes!!! :wacko:

IMHO, I think a rain delay should not go any longer than the game has been played once it's an official game. This game, heck the entire weekend, has looked like the Royals were completely baffled by Tribe pitching. I think everyone should have been sent on with a "have a good day, thanks for playing".

Oddly, my rant has nothing to do with a call made on a play. Rather, it's about the logic of rain delays, at times. I was listening to my baseball game online, as is my wont during the season, and the rains moved in. Now I'm not a meteorologist, but I can figure out that when there is a lot of yellow, orange, and red stretching from the baseball park westward towards the state line, it's gonna take awhile. When the game was delayed we were in the middle of the 6th inning. Indians were up on the Royals by a score of 5-0. And the entire time it took to play to that point? A mere hour and a half. After five innings it's an official game. The umps could have called it quits at anytime. Both teams need to fly out to play Monday games, too. Royals are headed only to Baltimore, but the Indians have to fly cross-country to play in Seattle. They finally resumed play after THREE hours and TEN minutes!!! :wacko:

IMHO, I think a rain delay should not go any longer than the game has been played once it's an official game. This game, heck the entire weekend, has looked like the Royals were completely baffled by Tribe pitching. I think everyone should have been sent on with a "have a good day, thanks for playing".

and then there is the delay at the airport! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

roadfix, that would be great, but it adds a whole lot of money to something that costs (mostly) taxpayers a whole lot of money to begin with. Now if the richie-rich owners would just pick up the tab...:whistling:

I sure hope not, AB, they fly charter!

Game just ended a couple of minutes ago. It took 2 hours, 21 minutes to play. The delay lasted 3 hours and 10 minutes. :huh: Go figure.

CG, I think all future baseball stadium construction should include retractable roofs.
I think it'll be almost impossible to retrofit most existing stadiums with roofs anyway.

Last edited:
I don't know but bet that they called the game due to the threat of lightning. If thunderstorms are even close there is danger of a lightning strike. Ask any golfer.

New breed of Eastern coyote

There is a new breed of Eastern coyote. Somewhere down the line a few of the coyotes mated with some wolfs. They have no fear of humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf

I have no problem with letting animals of the wild live. But when they become a danger to humans they need to be either caught and relocated or shot on the spot.

:wacko: So when one is spotted on a busy downtown city street and are threatening passing folks, there isn't always time to call animal control. The animal gets shot on the spot. Here come the animal lovers. I would suggest to them that they try to walk up to one of these creatures and try to calm and pat it. Think they will take me up on that suggestion?

There is a show on National Geo. called "Dr. K, Doctor to Exotic Animals" I refuse to watch her show. Her patients are animals that were caught and sold as pets. The owners of these animals are as guilty as the people who catch them for profit. Leave the animals in the wild alone. Let them live their lives naturally.

Another show is about a Vet in the Rocky Mountains who does spaying and neutering on the cheap. He serves the community that have normal pets like dogs and cats. Not some animal that comes from South America. There have been shows of his where someone spotted a big horn sheep that was hurt. He will got out and try to catch it to treat it. But it is ALWAYS let go to live its life where it belongs. In the wild.

The Yukon Vet serves wild animal preserves. These are animals that are endangered. These animals are kept on property that is expansive and they have the room to roam. They are fed out in the field and only brought in for needed care for hoofs, teeth, etc. Then they go back out with the herd.

Dr. Po serves the farming community. Cows, cattle, goats, horses, chickens, etc. Animals that are the income for the farm. He also serves family pets. But occasionally some one will bring in a lizard or other pet that belongs in the wild. He will take care of it, but you can tell by the tone in his voice, what he is thinking.

Vent over! :angel:

There's an excellent series running on television in the UK at the moment called "Monkey Life" following the work of "Monkey World" in Dorset, England.

"Monkey World" is a huge sanctuary for rescued primates from all over the world. It concentrates on rescuing primates kept as pets or used illegally for commercial purposes and they also have a breeding programme for endangered species of apes and monkeys. The monkeys, none of which can be returned to the wild, live as closely as possible to the way they would live in the wild.

It was founded and is owned and managed by Dr Alison Cronin (and her late husband Jim who founded it). Very worth a look if it comes up on TV where you are as it shows what can be done for the animals.

working for a big company stinks in many ways, but my vent is about a petty thing. We do not get to update our software, it's all done by IT, when we are all asleep. And every time they do updates and upgrades I loose all my passwords and all my login information.
And now I have to go back and login into all the sites I use. Some of them I use so rarely I have no idea what my login is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom