Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You do understand that a store could loose taking Government issued assistance for accepting it for products they aren't supposed to. How inconvenient would it be if the store closest to you lost the ability to accept FS, EBT, etc.?

You do understand that RR had the cash and was not expecting to pay for the nail polish with food stamps. Let it go.

You do understand that RR had the cash and was not expecting to pay for the nail polish with food stamps. Let it go.

You do understand it wasn't RR purchasing the polish? The person purchasing the polish never mentioned the cash in the post I originally quoted.

You do understand that a store could loose taking Government issued assistance for accepting it for products they aren't supposed to. How inconvenient would it be if the store closest to you lost the ability to accept FS, EBT, etc.?

We have had a few Mom and Pop stores lose their Govt. permission to accept food stamps. One store in my neighborhood would give you $.50 in cash on the dollar. No purchase necessary. The 7-11 store up the street from me can no longer accept any purchases to be paid with their EBT card. It is not only the holder of the card, but the owner of the store who is at fault. They get greedy. I have never heard of a large supermarket store having this problem.

When a recipient first receives their EBT card, they many not understand the restrictions that come with it. Remember please that for a lot of them, English is not their first language. In this state every correspondence regarding their acceptance comes with a translation in several languages. And for those women who come from the Middle East countries, a lot of them can't even read their own language. The little store just a block from my building that I frequent has a new owner. And this is the problem his wife has. They come from Pakistan. Right now she is trying to learn English. Her husband has her working in the store every so often, but he is right at her side. When it comes to using the EBT card, or WIC purchases, he handles them himself. I asked him why he is not teaching her how to ring them up. "Baby steps. She is overwhelmed trying to learn English, and all the rules of Sales tax items."

Supermarkets are computer programmed to separate cash only and taxable items from the food. A taxable cash item such as detergent can be scanned between the middle of a bag of apples and several jars of baby food. At the end of the receipt will be two totals. One for the food and one for the EBT card.

You really need to know all the rules of having an EBT card. For those who have never had to apply for food stamps, they don't always understand all the rules. If you also receive a cash stipend, it is put on your EBT card. You no longer get a check in the mail. So the person behind the recipient may not realize this. All they know is that the recipient walked out of the store showing no cash payment. And there were several cash taxable items in her order. :angel:

Okay, I have had it. If one more bigwig comes to Boston, I am going to become a hermit. It is hard enough for me when I am on my scooter, to cross a street safely. I think every driver knows that a pedestrian or any person in or on a vehicle for a handicap, ALWAYS has the right of way. I always cross in the crosswalk. There is one crosswalk that has to be fixed. I stay on the sidewalk until it is safe enough for me to go off the handicap accessible into the crosswalk. I live in an area that there are a lot of Park and Fly lots. That creates a traffic backup between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Now here comes Mr. Bigwig. He lands at 2:30 and a lot of streets to and from the airport are closed so the drivers use the back streets. Trying to cross a street from 7 to about 3:30 is a nightmare. And when they do open the streets, the coming home traffic along with all the traffic from the backups make it almost impossible for any pedestrian or handicap person to cross the street safely.

Please stay home Mr. Bigwig. Go somewhere else. To another city. I feel sorry for the drivers in town. It is even worse. Those streets stay closed all day. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Addie,
Your problem is so trivial compared to when Obama comes to LAX. He shuts down 20 airports in Los Angeles, causing many companies to lose a lot of money because they cannot fly.
The traffic nightmares are horrendous, especially when he comes out for a $35K per person fundraiser!

Okay, I have had it. If one more bigwig comes to Boston, I am going to become a hermit....
Addie, I don't remember you complaining like this every time the streets of Boston were shut down for the parades "Rolling Rallies" for the Red Sox when they won the World Series. Or for the Patriots when they won the Super Bowl. Or for the Celt....you get the idea. Then again, they don't drive those duck boats past the airport, so you probably weren't impacted in those cases. :rolleyes:

What about the impact when the Democrats held their convention at the Garden? I guess that isn't by you either. But the mucky-mucks still had to fly in. I remember the news talking about all of the road closures and the poor businesses that were seriously impacted because of security. Meanwhile, in Cleveland, Quicken Loans Arena is getting ready for a Cavaliers watch party for the last game of the basketball playoffs. When the Cavs are playing their "away" games, over 20,000 buy $5 tickets (ALL money goes to charity) to sit in the arena to watch the game, and about another 2,000 do the same to stand in the plaza area between the basketball arena and the baseball field. Sunday will have an afternoon baseball game, an evening basketball game, and a police force going crazy! Immediately on Monday, Cleveland and "The Q" need to prepare for the Republican convention less than a month away. We plan on heading to see the kids, and Cleveland, and be back home before any convention folks start to trickle into the city. Crazy times indeed!

...... when Obama comes to LAX. He shuts down 20 airports in Los Angeles, causing many companies to lose a lot of money because they cannot fly.
The traffic nightmares are horrendous, especially when he comes out for a $35K per person fundraiser!

I was about to post something similar the other day. And he's done this at least a dozen times, and during peak hours.

Here's my vent, and it's not petty.

I hardly ever come to this thread because it's so dang petty it's pathetic and boggles the reasonable mind. I've just caught up on multiple pages I've ignored and I'm more convinced than ever, this thread continues to be a constant downer.
One poster in particular dominates the pettiness with constant whining, and she can have at it without any further attention from me or anyone else.

Why is frozen food so bad? Textured vegetable protein. Outlaw that stuff.

The package shows a delicious looking burrito cut in half with what looks like delicious crumbled hamburger. Almost like a burrito you might buy at Taco Bell.

In reality, you get a mush of textured vegetable protein, nothing like what was depicted on the package.

Last edited:
Actually, rr, there are all sorts of goods and services that comprise the Consumer Price Index, which is used to figure Social Security Cost Of Living Adjustments. Not just gasoline.

I didn't know that. Gas being so low was the only reason given in the news article I looked at.

Um, not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I have both food stamps and cash on my EBT card. The cash comes from state disability. So although there are certain things I can't use my food stamps for, I can use the cash portion of the EBT card to pay for those, like toilet paper and paper towels. Likewise, I can take that cash off the card to buy other things I need, like a MO for my rent.

I don't always take all the cash off, so some months I end up with a food stamp amount left on the card, a cash amount left on the card, and some cash left over in my pockets. That's what happened this month.

There are no food stamp cards as we knew them anymore. The food stamp amount is put on the EBT card the same way my disability amount is put on the EBT card. So I use the same card for both.

Back to petty vents:

I received a new dollhouse (sold the old one, made a little profit, reinvested in another one - sort of like moving up in real estate). I got it home and promptly opened the box on my bed, resulting in wood splinters in my fanny, enough packing material to keep an army of rabbits in nesting material for a couple decades (all over my room), enough wood to build a tiny house (a real one - this was supposed to be a SMALL house, for crying out loud), and two extra pieces of wood in the kit that aren't on the instructions list.

I also took out a few pieces of miniature furniture to see how they'd fit in the rooms, dropped the wooden stove and broke it, and stepped on the sofa.

I was going for something I could lift by myself unlike my last dollhouse that took two brawny lumbermen to carry and that only if they'd had their Wheaties. Unfortunately, when I picked my house up at FedEx, the guy behind the counter had to carry it out to my car for me. Just call it a hunch, but I have a premonition my best laid plans regarding this dollhouse are about to derail.

Last edited:
Now this is seriously p***ing me off. I have a cherry tree. I came home today to find the tree completely plucked. It's sour cherry, it is not available in the store. I am really mad. I wish I could find what son of a gun did it. :mad:
The cherries were not even ripe yet.

Now this is seriously p***ing me off. I have a cherry tree. I came home today to find the tree completely plucked. It's sour cherry, it is not available in the store. I am really mad. I wish I could find what son of a gun did it. :mad:

Your cherries and my blueberries must be related, Charlie. Every dang ripe or almost ripe blueberry is gone from one of my shrubs. I got to eat one blueberry. I have no idea what took them.

Last edited:

Do you or a neighbor have a lawn service? Or do you live in a homeowner's association that has a lawn service for the common areas? Where we used to live, we had some problems with the guys taking homeowner's fruit without asking. Had to nip that in the bud real quick.

B of A sends me an email alert that a new, replacement CC is on its way. Due to security precautions, they had to cancel my currently active CC and all other users of this VISA card ending in xxxx.
I think this is like the third or fourth time this has happened to me in the past 5 years or so. I don't mind this, but it's a hassle contacting the merchants I deal with regularly with my new CC info, especially with automatic recurring monthly charges I have with several merchants.
I use only one CC just to keep things simple...

Last edited:
B of A sends me an email alert that a new, replacement CC is on its way. Due to security precautions, they had to cancel my currently active CC and all other users of this VISA card ending in xxxx.
I think this is like the third or fourth time this has happened to me in the past 5 years or so. I don't mind this, but it's a hassle contacting the merchants I deal with regularly with my new CC info, especially with automatic recurring monthly charges I have with several merchants.
I use only one CC just to keep things simple...

Maybe the issue is with your bank. We've had VISA cards forever with different banks and this has happened once, many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom