Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every internet shopping site should be mandated to show you what your shipping cost will be (typing in zip code) before making you fill out your name, address, phone, email, payment choice, etc. It's like..."Fill out every line on the order form (your personal info, payment method)...THEN we will tell you what you'll pay in shipping cost." It's very annoying.

Last edited:
Every internet shopping site should be mandated to show you what your shipping cost will be (typing in zip code) before making you fill out your name, address, phone, email, payment choice, etc. It's like..."Fill out every line on the order form (your personal info, payment method)...THEN we will tell you what you'll pay in shipping cost." It's very annoying.
I agree. If the shipping is too high, I don't want them to have my personal info.

One way is to use Pay Pal as most merchants these days give you the option to check out using Pay Pal. Pay Pal has your CC and shipping info and your shipping charge pops right up before checking out. It very convenient using PP.

One way is to use Pay Pal as most merchants these days give you the option to check out using Pay Pal. Pay Pal has your CC and shipping info and your shipping charge pops right up before checking out. It very convenient using PP.
Yes, convenient, if they take PayPal. I prefer it, because then I'm not giving CC info to nearly as many different places.

The sites that do accept Paypal, that is useful. However, I wouldn't say most merchants use Paypal, big sites do. A lot of smaller mom and pop type sites, with not as sophisticated a web service, do not. Most merchant sites I visit use rudimentary check out services that don't offer paypal checkout.

I also agree with Taxlady that sites making you fill out personal info to check shipping cost (then you decline) may be doing so to collect data on the side, which should be illegal if it isn't already.

Last edited:
It was said by a wise man that you should always vote for the most qualified, and ethical candidate, whether you believe that person has a chance or not. To do otherwise defeats the ability of the people to select a responsible, and effective government.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

:LOL: If that were the case, I wouldn't be voting at all in November. I don't think either candidate is either ethical or qualified to be president.

Well, getting off that subject, here's a petty vent. My car, which seemed to be working fine (AFTER I cancelled the appointment with the mechanic) is acting up again. It's surging again and the engine light is on again. So I called and rescheduled my appointment. Cars............:glare:

Want to bet it will be working fine on Friday?

:LOL: If that were the case, I wouldn't be voting at all in November. I don't think either candidate is either ethical or qualified to be president.

Well, getting off that subject, here's a petty vent. My car, which seemed to be working fine (AFTER I cancelled the appointment with the mechanic) is acting up again. It's surging again and the engine light is on again. So I called and rescheduled my appointment. Cars............:glare:

Want to bet it will be working fine on Friday?
But, will it do its trick for the mechanic? I hate when they won't.

But, will it do its trick for the mechanic? I hate when they won't.

Oh, probably not. When I had my Pinto, it started making a horrendous clatter while being driven. I think I had that thing into the shop at least 6 times and it never once clattered for them.

Finally one day it was clattering and I drove straight over there and hauled the mechanic out while the car was still running so he could hear what was going on. I guess I didn't need to. The mechanic told me later all he did was take something apart underneath and a loose bolt fell into his hand. Problem solved.

Then there was the time I kept bringing in my car because I told him the car jumped into the air when I shifted gears, which of course, it never did when I dropped it off. The mechanic would laugh his head off. So I left the car, vowing it could live at the shop until it was A) fixed or B) rusted away, whichever came first.

Got a call a day later from the owner of the shop who had to fix the car himself. I guess the mechanic got in, the car jumped into the air, and scared the living daylights out of him. He wouldn't get in the car again. Maybe he thought it was possessed. Hey, can't say I didn't warn him!

In that case, instead of moving my post, we'll just leave it here and consider it a real vent. Because now I've found out the problem with my car is the cam shaft sensor and who knows how much that will be?

Some 25 years ago, I got a free alarm clock for opening checking account. Simple radio easy to use, no problem for 15-maybe 16 years. Finally it gave up. Listen how much can you expect from free clock, right? Was very happy with it. Next one lasted maybe 4-5 years, also easy to use, also no problem, outside the fact that it cost $20 and did not last even the half time of the free one. Ok, fine, 20 bucks, I can handle that. From then on it's been a disaster. Not only we cannot find alarm clock that works normally, none of what we have bought was normal. Either the sound was weird, practically all of them required a PHD to set it up and operate, none, none of them had a simple OFF button, the last one is so light/bright, it is almost as it was a day light in the room, impossible to sleep, had to return next day. What the flippity flip, flip, flip is going on. It is an alarm clock not a nuclear reactor, why can't they make it simple clock. Grrrrr......

Beware of Amazon Prime free deal. I did not even realised that I sign for it until I got credit card bill. Good thing the CC guy gave me Amazon number to call and cancel it. That went without problem, but if I did not get the number from CC I could not find it on the site.

P.S. Funny story with one of the alarm clock. After it stop working, no more than a year in use, my wife put it in give away/throw away bag which of course she did not give or throw away for more than a year. All of a sudden there is this quite alarm going of same time of the night. In the middle of the night of course. For weeks we could not figure out what was going on. Finally we realised the sound comes from inside the bag. For the life of me I don't understand how or why it was not happening before, why it took nearly a year for it to start working again. Apparently it came with a battery, which we did not know. Weirdest thing ever.

Beware of Amazon Prime free deal. I did not even realised that I sign for it until I got credit card bill. Good thing the CC guy gave me Amazon number to call and cancel it. That went without problem, but if I did not get the number from CC I could not find it on the site.

True Charlie. I too signed up for their free trial period. I should have marked my calendar for a reminder about canceling it. For me though, it was to my benefit. During those thirty days, I took full advantage of it. So I am glad that I didn't cancel it. I am still enjoying all the benefits of Prime Time. I do, other than groceries, all my shopping on line. What I can't buy on Jet.com I go to Amazon. But come this October, I will notify Amazon, that I do not wish to renew. Why should I. I pay no taxes at Jet, delivery is ever so fast with Jet, and if there is a product I need that they don't carry, they get it for me.

Oh, BTW, Walmart's has just purchased Jet.com. I have to place an order later this month. I intend to include a note asking how this purchase will impact my future purchases. :angel:

Last edited:
I also signed up for Prime in July. I logged on a cancelled it yesterday. We managed to pick up a few things we needed/wanted with free shipping. I put an event on my calendar to remind me.

I've always cancelled my free 30-day Prime trial about mid way through the deal. But they will still honor your free trial for the full 30 days, regardless.

I think it was a glitch on their part but last month when my free 30-day trial was up they immediately offered me another free 30-day trial. This may be their tactic for you to order more stuff. And I tend to spend more money during these free trial periods.

I love amazon prime! Besides free two-day shipping, there's a nice selection of free e-books, free television and movie downloads, and if you get their store card, an automatic 5% cash back on everything we both buy. For us, it more than pays for itself.

Prime fan here too. I just let them renew it. More than pays for itself in shipping.

Back
Top Bottom