"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #4841
Executive Chef

Dawaglover, I hope you are feeling better by now. You sound like I was before my pneumonia was diagnosed. Hopefully it's not that!

I didn't get in on the gray hair discussion. My parents died in their 60s but neither of them had any gray hair, so I inherited their genes. I have highlighted my hair since my late 20s because I liked it, and the times that i let it grow out my hair was so dark it looked terrible, but the only gray I had was a few gray hairs around the temples. Everyone always thought I dyed it. Now I am back to highlighting again because the dark hair is too harsh with my complexion. I also do my own with products I buy at Sally's. DH pulls the hair through the cap and I do the rest. I doubt if a professional hairdresser could do a better job.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #4842
Master Chef

Some men dye their hair. I don't. My dad was grey by thirty, and white by thirty-five. I have a few grey hairs on my head at 60, but not many. My beard on the other hand is salt and pepper, mostly salt, with a few pepper strands stubbornly holding on.

I'm not concerned at all with what color my hair is. I don't style it, cut it, or anything but keep it clean, brushed, and in a ponytail. I like it long as it, and the beard help keep my face warm in the sometimes extreme cold we get up here in the U.P. Besides, with my shaggy mustache blending into my beard when I pinch my limps together, I can magically make my lips disappear for the munchkins of family and friends. I love amusing small children.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #4843
Chef Extraordinaire

My father had red red hair. I got his red hair. And then three of my kids got his red hair. I hated it growing up, was so glad to turn grey. Now most of my hair is white.

My two oldest boys are now greying on their head, but their beards are still red. Like you Chief, Spike has a long pony tail. The tip of it is still a bit red, his beard is red mixed with salt and pepper. That dang red hair to me is a curse. Fortunately there is only a couple of G,kids that have been cursed with it. They were born blonde with a tint of red when they stand in the sunshine.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #4844
Master Chef

I changed my avatar picture to an image taken by our son. I thought I cropped it small enough to see the sign on the door, but apparently not so. If I crop it any smaller it won't have the same "feel", so I guess I'll just tell you all what it says.

Apparently, the business is a catering company. Their name? "Or Derv Foods". I thought it was funny-cute. Hope you do, too.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #4845
Master Chef

I am a murderer, that is a rye starter murderer. It is third or maybe even fourth time that I kill my starter. I don't understand. 3-4th day it's doing exactly what it supposed to do. And then it just dies on me. Grrrrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 01-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #4846
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

DH was walking Beagle on her leash, and a neighbor's big weimeraner dog, who was not on her leash despite DH's instructions, attacked Beagle. Beagle put up a good fight, protecting DH. These people should not let this dog run loose. It's already bitten two people in the neighborhood. We have a lot of children here, as well as other dogs. DH plans to have another "talky-to" with this dog owner!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #4847
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DH was walking Beagle on her leash, and a neighbor's big weimeraner dog, who was not on her leash despite DH's instructions, attacked Beagle. Beagle put up a good fight, protecting DH. These people should not let this dog run loose. It's already bitten two people in the neighborhood. We have a lot of children here, as well as other dogs. DH plans to have another "talky-to" with this dog owner!
I would tell DH to save his breath and call the police and or animal control to file a formal complaint.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #4848
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Well that stinks. Aren't there any laws about nuisance dogs? Especially ones that have already bitten?
Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #4849
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well that stinks. Aren't there any laws about nuisance dogs? Especially ones that have already bitten?

We're out in the country. No laws. I'm carrying the baseball bat next time I walk Beagle.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #4850
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would tell DH to save his breath and call the police and or animal control to file a formal complaint.

It wouldn't do any good. DH works with the dog owner, he will have a few words with him after he calms down. He's pretty furious right now.