Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was upset that there wasn't an inquiry of whether I liked the prime service or not, did I want to keep it, etc. Nothing like having an $100 charge to your debit card on payday before your paycheck is deposited.

I was upset that there wasn't an inquiry of whether I liked the prime service or not, did I want to keep it, etc. Nothing like having an $100 charge to your debit card on payday before your paycheck is deposited.

Well, at least now you know that you can cancel it if you choose. :angel:

That's fine with a credit card, Addie, but it sounds like PF's problem is that Amazon when ahead and withdrew the membership fee from her bank account BEFORE her check was credited to that same account. Debit cards need you to have the money on hand at the time of the transaction. Unless she had a cool $100 extra hanging around before payday, she would be considered overdrawn and get hit with all the extra charges that come with that. A real pain in the butt, for sure.

That's fine with a credit card, Addie, but it sounds like PF's problem is that Amazon when ahead and withdrew the membership fee from her bank account BEFORE her check was credited to that same account. Debit cards need you to have the money on hand at the time of the transaction. Unless she had a cool $100 extra hanging around before payday, she would be considered overdrawn and get hit with all the extra charges that come with that. A real pain in the butt, for sure.

You are so right, I only keep a limited amount in the Debit Card account, on payday, I remove what I won't be needing to pay bills and put it in regular checking or the savings account. If I know I'll be shopping online, I transfer money into it. I wore that account out this past couple of weeks with the purchase of the stove...it was down to it's last $100.

A couple wired in money to a legit site in a lottery state that allows you to draw off what you pay into it, to play the lottery online with an account that you pay into. There account got low, so they wired in the money to the site to play that nights lottery. They believed they deposited in plenty of time to play the next lotto draw via online. They picked all 6. The next day they found out the site had not posted the credit to that account in time for their lotto pick. Therefore, it was an invalid lottery submission. Ouch!

I'm basically reply posting about submission of funds to a bank or whatever and having those funds actually there. That couple thought they easily got their funds to their lottery debit account in time.

Missed it by that much! I think they sued/challenged, but lost.

Last edited:

She can still notify her bank that it was not an approved withdrawal. They will put the money back into her account and go after Amazon. :angel:

A couple wired in money to a legit site in a lottery state that allows you to draw off what you pay into it, to play the lottery online with an account that you pay into. There account got low, so they wired in the money to the site to play that nights lottery. They believed they deposited in plenty of time to play the next lotto draw via online. They picked all 6. The next day they found out the site had not posted the credit to that account in time for their lotto pick. Therefore, it was an invalid lottery submission. Ouch!

I'm basically reply posting about submission of funds to a bank or whatever and having those funds actually there. That couple thought they easily got their funds to their lottery debit account in time.

Missed it by that much! I think they sued/challenged, but lost.

If you make any transaction on a weekend, legal state or federal holiday or after hours of your bank's regular business hours, it may not be posted to your account until regular business hours of your bank.

Or you can use this site.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/cust...14X0F8CP8J2IP&forumID=Fx1SKFFP8U1B6N5&ie=UTF8

It has the CS #'s for the U.S. and Canada :angel:

Last edited:
Some 25 years ago, I got a free alarm clock for opening checking account. Simple radio easy to use, no problem for 15-maybe 16 years. Finally it gave up. Listen how much can you expect from free clock, right? Was very happy with it. Next one lasted maybe 4-5 years, also easy to use, also no problem, outside the fact that it cost $20 and did not last even the half time of the free one. Ok, fine, 20 bucks, I can handle that. From then on it's been a disaster. Not only we cannot find alarm clock that works normally, none of what we have bought was normal. Either the sound was weird, practically all of them required a PHD to set it up and operate, none, none of them had a simple OFF button, the last one is so light/bright, it is almost as it was a day light in the room, impossible to sleep, had to return next day. What the flippity flip, flip, flip is going on. It is an alarm clock not a nuclear reactor, why can't they make it simple clock. Grrrrr......

Beware of Amazon Prime free deal. I did not even realised that I sign for it until I got credit card bill. Good thing the CC guy gave me Amazon number to call and cancel it. That went without problem, but if I did not get the number from CC I could not find it on the site.

Charlie, do you still have the phone number for Amazon? If so would you please post it so others can avoid this troublesome trap? Thank you. :angel:

She can still notify her bank that it was not an approved withdrawal. They will put the money back into her account and go after Amazon. :angel:

Credit cards work that way; debit cards may not. They have different rules. This is why we only use debit cards for emergency cash withdrawal, in case I leave my credit card at home. Never for an automatic withdrawal. We don't leave much more in that account.

You are so right, I only keep a limited amount in the Debit Card account, on payday, I remove what I won't be needing to pay bills and put it in regular checking or the savings account. If I know I'll be shopping online, I transfer money into it. I wore that account out this past couple of weeks with the purchase of the stove...it was down to it's last $100.

PF I only leave a measly $10 in my account. After I pay my bills, I transfer any other monies to my savings or PayPal account. That way should say Amazon try to use my debit account for anything above $10.00, they are out of luck. And no one has authorization to go into my savings or PayPal accounts except me. And if it should happen, I won't like it, but I can afford to lose that $10.00.

I really like PayPal. Unless you are sitting at my computer and know my password, PP, won't let you in. And more and more online businesses are now accepting PayPal. :angel:

Credit cards work that way; debit cards may not. They have different rules. This is why we only use debit cards for emergency cash withdrawal, in case I leave my credit card at home. Never for an automatic withdrawal. We don't leave much more in that account.
Yup, for us it is strictly an "ATM" card. So much so that I have a sticker that says "For ATM Only" on my card so I don't forget. :LOL: We use it at the Bank in the Box when we need to have cash in our wallets before vacations. Otherwise, we might go two months or more before we ever need to replenish our small amount of carry-around cash. Any purchase we make that's over $10 goes right on our Discover card. The exception is when dealing with a small business owner with one location. We use cash or check in those instances so that the merchant doesn't have to pay a service charge. Support the local business in any small way!

Banks don't pay much in interest, but I'll be danged if I keep money anywhere for any length of time if it doesn't earn me some bit of interest.

PF I only leave a measly $10 in my account. After I pay my bills, I transfer any other monies to my savings or PayPal account. That way should say Amazon try to use my debit account for anything above $10.00, they are out of luck.

It doesn't work that way. If you don't have enough in your account - even a debit account - to cover a payment or withdrawal, the bank will pay the charge and then, unless you have overdraft protection, assess you an overdraft fee, which I think averages about $35. That's why it's important to PF that she didn't realize that charge was coming.

This is timely! I just checked my debit card statement, the one we use for trips and vacations, and saw we had a grand total of $6.66 left. Yikes! Thankfully we didn't quite get to overdrawing. Off goes a check to Charles Schwab to replenish.

A local news story here has a women getting a Publishing Clearing House winner check for $5,000. She deposits it. It shows up in her account. Immediately she starts paying off her bills to the tune of thousands of dollars. 3 days later, the check is deemed invalid by the bank.

She's suing the bank for the slow process. She won't win.

Checks $10,000 or more by law have to arrive via certified mail. Checks below $10,000...it's open season for fraudsters.

Last edited:
A local news story here has a women getting a Publishing Clearing House winner check for $5,000. She deposits it. It shows up in her account. Immediately she starts paying off her bills to the tune of thousands of dollars. 3 days later, the check is deemed invalid by the bank.

She's suing the bank for the slow process. She won't win.

Ed McMahon used to send me Million dollar checks in the mail.....I always thought of depositing one of those checks, just for fun....:LOL:

Back in my poor days, I deposited a worthless check on a Friday and the bank allowed me to immediately draw cash from the ATM, even tho my bank account balance didn't have squat to back it up. I made good on that check by Monday, but got free cash over the weekend. They've since closed that loophole, lol.

Every single snitch of my dill seeds that I planted are gone. They were lovely, now they're no longer. No fronds, no seeds, no roots, nada. I have no problem sharing with the swallowtail caterpillars, but I have a feeling the bunnies did it.

Last edited:
I bet you're right, Dawg. I found a poster you could put up - maybe someone could catch that bandit.

ff85e9c322567cbb04ba052ba47732cbeceac00a.JPG

Every single snitch of my dill seeds that I planted are gone. They were lovely, now they're no longer. No fronds, no seeds, no roots, nada. I have no problem sharing with the swallowtail caterpillars, but I have a feeling the bunnies did it.

Shhh! Be vewy qwiet, I'm hunting wabbits...

Back
Top Bottom