Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My blood is A- . They must like that too, because if a mosquito is around, it finds me. Funny story, when my son was on chemo therapy for a year he didn't get bit. They would land on him without biting and then just fly over to me for a meal!

I'm A+. My husband is 0- (too bad he faints at the sight of blood, he should be a blood donor). They don't bite him like they bite me. I have bites the size of chocolate chips on my arms, my legs, and my back. I have deer fly "welts" on my feet. I am a magnet for biting/stinging insects, and I take vit B complex! I hate, hate, hate these critters!

Why don't people get their cats spayed! I went to the village today to get a couple of things. On the way back, there was a tiny kitten on the road. At first I thought it might be a baby fisher...two other vehicles stopped--one was going to take it to the local dog catcher (he shoots unclaimed dogs after 3 days...I hear the shots). Even though I can't have a kitten (the DH's dog has high prey-drive), I said I'd take it to kitten rescue (rather than have the poundkeeper drown it--doubt he'd "waste" a bullet on it). Its eyes are open, but it fits in the palm of my hand. A friend does kitten rescue, but he's 1.5 hours away and can't meet me 1/2 way--he's busy (like I'm not). It's hot, I don't want to get in the van and drive for 3 hours (I have work to finish for deliverables tomorrow at 3:00 a.m.). I don't have a kitten bottle--there isn't anyplace I can buy one to bottle feed the kitten, or the "mix" that one should feed a kitten...Why do I have to spend 3 hours on the road in 34C heat delivering a kitten to kitten rescue!!!! If you let your cat outside, and it isn't spayed, please consider doing so. There are far too many unwanted pets in the world. Now that I've got that off my chest, I'd better finish working so I can hit the road.

That is so kind of you, CWS. Unweaned kittens can be very hard to care for. Poor little thing.

Wish folks would remember to neuter their males too. Seems to be a macho thing for some.

I remember a show or something where someone used a rubber glove as a bottle, with a small hole in one of the fingers. They say no cow's milk or syringes.

Best of luck, so nice of you to care!

Last edited:
My husband is driving out from the City to pick up the kitten and take it to kitten rescue. Poor thing. I have puppy esbiliac (I figure a little of this wouldn't hurt--not ideal), but no bottle...a bit scared about using a syringe...I tried a wet wash cloth to get some water in the poor thing...it didn't suckle it. I just hope the DH gets here soon. I have about 5 hours of work that I have to have done by 3:00 a.m. and don't have time to be a kitten rescue person! Yeah--neuter the males too. I saw a cat about a month ago on the property--I said--she's pregnant. Guess I was right...

maybe you guys can help me with this. i have never been a great typist though I get by. but I have a problem with capitals especially at the beginning of sentences or with the letter I. Even though I depress the shift key most of the time i end up with a lower case letter. Then I have to go back and correct all of my mistakes or leave it and look like a moron. It drives me up a wall and it happens no matter what I am typing on. There must be a keyboarding teacher out there or maybe a super typist who knows an exercise or a tip that will train me to depress the shift key harder though practice just doesn't seem to do the trick. I am leaving in some of the mistakes so that you can get the idea. i'll look forward to any replies.

Unfortunately in my business i occasionally have to type stuff that the clients will see so of course we are encouraged to get it right. And since we have to type word for word as someone speaks it , well, going back to correct the mistakes really slows me down. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

joesfolk said:
maybe you guys can help me with this. i have never been a great typist though I get by. but I have a problem with capitals especially at the beginning of sentences or with the letter I. Even though I depress the shift key most of the time i end up with a lower case letter. Then I have to go back and correct all of my mistakes or leave it and look like a moron. It drives me up a wall and it happens no matter what I am typing on. There must be a keyboarding teacher out there or maybe a super typist who knows an exercise or a tip that will train me to depress the shift key harder though practice just doesn't seem to do the trick. I am leaving in some of the mistakes so that you can get the idea. i'll look forward to any replies.

All you need to do is to get an iPhone or iPad. It automatically capitalizes the first word of a sentence, and will change the I to a Capitol too!!! May make you lazy though. It does me. :)

joesfolk, that sounds like a job my dad did for the associated press many years ago. he was a teletype operator back in the '60's, and one of his jobs was to listen to the radio announcer's play by play of yankees games from the press box, and type it in to the "wire" at around 125 words a minute, without mistakes.
to this day, if you ask him how to spell something, he spits it out really fast.

ok, i have a rant. doesn't it piss you off when you order a full rack of ribs and they bring you a slab with only 8 or 9 bones? this is the 3rd or 4th time that this has happened to me recently.

we went to a pricey joint the other night after a day on the beach, and i was solidly dissapointed on my entire dinner.

we ate at the inlet cafe in atlantic highlands, n.j., for our first and last time. it was recommended to us by locals ( with a warning about the cost), but i can say for sure we'll never go back.

it's a decent place on the water, but it's only a run of the mill bayside restaurant with pedantic outdoor and indoor seating, basic wood tables and chairs, no linen. i don't know why they charge ridiculous prices for what you get. the average appy was $9, entree $28, for less than great food.

we ordered cups of new england clam chowder to start, which tasted like improperly reconstituted condensed canned clam chowder. it was extremely salty, not particularly hot, and it was a weird brownish colour with no discernable chunks of clams. and carrots and red peppers in white clam chowder??? 5 bucks for about a half cup.

fortunately, dw's and my boy's dinners were just ok - not unlike what you could get in any diner ( (@ $30 each), but they brought me a 9 bone "full rack" of bbq babybacks, along with a soggy, mealy ear of corn on the cob, and a baked potato that had grit inside the foil around the skin. don't they wash their spuds?
the worst part was my miserable entree was $25, served on a dented aluminum pizza tray that spun around every time i tried to take a forkful of the food.

i rarely complain in restaurants, but i had to on this one. the heretofore barely existant waitress apologized and had the servers bring out a 12 bone rack just about the time we all were done eating, so i reluctantly ate a bit and asked her to wrap the rest to go. even that sucked because now i look like an ass complaining about more food than i really wanted. but at those prices and with the poor nature of the sides, i got over that quickly.

i decided to give the waitress a %15 percent tip because it wasn't her fault and she tried to correct tbings albeit late.

suffice it to say we won't go back. if you're ever near sandy hook, n.j., find somewhere else to eat.

Microsoft Word has the ability to grammar check - including capitals/proper case and punctuation.

it's not 'perfect' - but it does catch a lot.

Joesfolk--If you are using Word, you can set up "Autocorrect" so that you can enter common words that you typically mistype. I have used it to set up "autoexpand" my own version of shorthand, e.g., I'll enter space tt space, the autocorrection is that. bcz becomes because, space eg space is autocorrected to be for example,. I guess you can't wait to go back when you're done? I have Acrobat 9 Extended. Sometimes I use it to proofread my writing by creating a pdf and then I turn on the autoread feature and have the file read back to me. I find the little errors that my eyes automatically fix that way.

I don't trust MS Word's grammar check or spell check...with spell check, it won't catch when you transpose letters, e.g., form instead of from...There, I vented <g>.

ARRRRRRRGFGG+++HHH1po2i....#$%^&*()_!

I'm having a problem with a couple of online vendors who aren't taking my new replacement card.

It worked fine in an ATM and in stores, as well as one repeat vendor and one new vendor.

Both of the stores are repeat vendors so I have to call their customer service centers to talk to a real person.

ARRRRRRRGFGG+++HHH1po2i....#$%^&*()_!

Zhizara, I totally relate to that one. I have one vendor I use for my cake supplies (have for years) and I called yesterday to find out where my latest shipment was. They told me that my card didn't work so they were withholding the package. Excuse me? The system said the card was good AND the bank added the charges to my online statement. And why couldn't they contact me about it before making me wait. Thankfully I order well ahead of the date I need it for, but still. I hope you can get this worked out without too much fuss.

Today is my "day off" as Dad is at his senior's program and DH doesn't get home for lunch on Thursdays. So, with me being able to do anything I want, I am on day 5 of a serious sinus migraine and it is radiating into my gums, teeth (even phantom pains in a tooth I don't have) and my jaw. So I don't feel like doing anything.

I have some shopping to do but other than that it is R&R. I so wanted to sew but even the faint sound of my new machine hurts the head.

Sorry you have to spend your "day off" in pain. LPB. At least you won't have to try and function. Take it easy and feel better soon!

i rarely complain in restaurants, but i had to on this one.

suffice it to say we won't go back. if you're ever near sandy hook, n.j., find somewhere else to eat.

That stinks! It's one thing if you try a new restaurant and you just don't like their food, but it's another when they serve you garbage, especially with a price tag like that!

Now my vent:

Aaaaaaaah! Just had to get that out. I'm now 8 months pregnant and am getting to know our local hospital a little too well. I went in about a month ago for monitoring because I hadn't felt the baby move in several hours, through what's usually her most active time. Of course she she started moving just as they were hooking up the monitors.

Then 2 weeks ago I went in because I was having sudden lower back pain, nausea, and contractions. Turns out I wasn't in pre-term labor, but I was contracting at regular intervals, albeit very mildly, (about 3 minutes apart). We found out that I had a mild infection and was badly dehydrated, even though I average 65-96 oz of water a day, (I keep track with a graded water bottle) plus some milk and occasionally juice. They said the heat and the infection were likely to blame for the dehydration. After 5 hours (bringing DH to nearly 24 hours without sleep, since he works early mornings), 2 IV bags, and a narcotic pain-killer with really unpleasant side-effects to stop the contractions, we were able to go home.

My third (and hopefully final visit until I'm having the baby) came this morning, and had absolutely nothing to do with my pregnancy. Last night around 8pm I was at work at the very clean, lovely restaurant that employs me when my ankle started to itch, I checked it out and saw a red bump. I figured I must have already had a bug bite and my sock must have irritated it. A few minutes later my other ankle started to itch & i discovered another bite. By the time I left work I had another on my calf. I'm sorry to say I was a little slow on the uptake and it wasn't until a couple hours later, when suddenly my legs started itching, that I took off the pants I was wearing and discovered 8 or 9 itchy red bumps. I checked my legs for any signs of a insect, decided they could be hives, took Benadryl, and threw my pants in a hot wash just in case something was lurking therein. The Benadryl stopped the itching and the larger ones even started to shrink, so I thought maybe it was just an allergic reaction. A strange allergic reaction, as it was on my legs instead of the trunk of my body, but I was tired and figured if it was something biting me, I'd be able to see it or it would be in my pants that were in the middle of a scalding wash. I had no trouble through the night, but woke up this morning with nearly 20 red lumps on both of my legs, all from the knee down. I called my OB, because as I'm pregnant, I run everything by them first. They told me to get to the ER. I was in and out of the ER astonishingly quickly, in about 35 minutes. They said either I got a couple of bites & am having an allergic reaction to them, or I brought whatever was biting me home with me, most likely the second. Aaaah! The nurse said it looks like fleas. FLEAS!? I have no pets and I picked up fleas at a restaurant frequented by middle-aged to elderly upper-middle-class/lower-upper-class customers? Is nowhere safe? I stripped the bed, and am keeping DD out of our bedroom DH comes home in an hour and can vacuum everything, including the bed. DH slept next to me all night and has no bites, so I'm hopeful, but I have these horrible visions of treating a house infested with fleas, or something even worse. I keep imagining having to find a place to stay for a couple days while we bomb the place, then having to rewash every article of clothing since I'm pregnant and not supposed to be anywhere near chemicals like that. I just finished washing and organizing all of the new baby's clothes, as well as reorganizing all of my daughter's to make room for everything. Am I going to have to re-wash everything in the drawers, too? We're going to have a newborn in this place in about a month! All this is going through my brain of course as I try to exert every ounce of will-power not to itch my legs. As if I wasn't uncomfortable enough already! The prescription they gave me takes the edge off the itch, but it's still there. Deep breaths, deeeeep breaths... Sorry for the novel. I am GW's daughter, after all, and it was this or bury myself in a huge bowl of ice cream and let the tears flow.

Back
Top Bottom