"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-05-2016, 04:12 AM   #4891
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think it's a bit much to report a small bite to the police too. She did say Spike was "all for it". But, we don't know all the details. Addie is on medicare. I think that is why she mentioned the diabetes. I don't know, but is it possible there could be repercussions with medicare if she doesn't report an injury immediately? Especially if it doesn't heal properly and needs to be taken care of later?
There is no way I could hide a huge scab on the side of my leg. When I went to Winthrop a couple of days later, they immediately saw it. If I hadn't taken the info to the police, they would have. Then, it would have been blown way out of proportion. If I hadn't reported it, the police would have been called and they would have come to Winthrop immediately. I would have been questioned. Why didn't I report the bite? Was I trying to protect the owner? Why didn't I seek medical care immediately? And on and on. I did exactly what the law required me to. And TL is right. Being on Medicare and Medicaid, (MassHealth) if the bite had not been reported, they could have refused to pay for any care if it got infected. Then I would have had a bill to pay that I can ill afford.

I did what the law required of me. In doing so I protected myself in the event of complications. Teddy is taken for long walks three times a day by Spike. That dog will turn his nose up at the best steak in town to pick up a dead pigeon in the street, before he can be stopped. He drinks out of muddy puddles. He does what dogs do because he is a dog! I would hardly call his mouth and teeth healthy and clean. He gave me a small bite to get my attention because I turned my back on him and wouldn't play. That is what he does. I failed to say "Stop!" It lets him know play time is over. The information will go into a compilation of numbers of how many incidents involving dogs in the city there were for the year. The paper work will go down into the archives in the basement of City Hall. I doubt if the police officer or animal control officer even remembers my name or that of Teddy's.

I doubt the government is really interested in controlling my life. The week Teddy bit me, there were three murders in this part of Boston due to gang activity. And we are supposed to have one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. The government doesn't even remember my name or that of Teddy.

Thank you TL.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #4892
Chef Extraordinaire

You are making this up left and right. The police have nothing to do with compiling dog bite records.

No one is suggesting that you hide the bite from medical personnel. But Massachusetts law, like most (if not all) other states, requires health care providers to report dog bites to the local health department, which reports them to the state department of health. The local department will decide whether an investigation regarding rabies is needed.

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/m...dated-dog-laws

Medicare will not refuse to pay for health care needed in relation to a dog bite; however, they may seek reimbursement from the owner of the dog, or from the victim if there is a financial settlement with the owner. Since I'm on Medicare due to disability and I have a dog, I checked this out to be sure.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #4893
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You are making this up left and right. The police have nothing to do with compiling dog bite records.

No one is suggesting that you hide the bite from medical personnel. But Massachusetts law, like most (if not all) other states, requires health care providers to report dog bites to the local health department, which reports them to the state department of health. The local department will decide whether an investigation regarding rabies is needed.

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/m...dated-dog-laws

Medicare will not refuse to pay for health care needed in relation to a dog bite; however, they may seek reimbursement from the owner of the dog, or from the victim if there is a financial settlement with the owner. Since I'm on Medicare due to disability and I have a dog, I checked this out to be sure.
In this city the police take the reports. they enter them into the system. My Medicare is paid for by MassHealth. And they DO go after payments they feel due. Even after death. When my sister died and her house was sold, they expected to be reimbursed for all of her medical expenses they had paid from the proceeds of selling the house. Unfortunately for the Commonwealth, the bank had first priority on the profit.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #4894
Master Chef

Isn't it time we let this dog lie down and sleep?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #4895
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

+1!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #4896
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
+1!!!
Thank you CG.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #4897
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
In this city the police take the reports.
No, they don't. Just so you know for next time: http://www.bphc.org/whatwedo/infecti...revention.aspx
Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #4898
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thank you CG.
You know, Addie, it takes two to tango. Just sayin'...
Old 02-06-2016, 04:37 AM   #4899
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You know, Addie, it takes two to tango. Just sayin'...
I know.. I have sat down and stopped dancing. I don't care to dance with bulldogs. I prefer a more gentler dog with less teeth.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #4900
Executive Chef

Charlie, you might not be responsible for that bill. One time there was an issue with a medical treatment for DH. Insurance wouldn't pay, but they told us not to pay it, because it was the responsibility of the medical provider to make sure they had approval before providing the service. They fought it out between them and I don't know if it was every paid or not, but we didn't pay it. I don't know if it's the same with Comp.