Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This wouldn't happen to be an LG refrigerator with french doors, and a bottom freezer door. If so, I have one too, but haven't yet hooked up the auto ice maker. Just freezing ice trays and storing the ice in the appr0priate bin. Had to do maintenance once as I occasionally drip water onto the top sliding tray when filling the ice trays.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Mine's a Maytag. Soon to be an ex-Maytag. French doors, bottom freezer. Bought it in 2010, and it's no longer under warranty.

We have size restrictions, as there's an overhead cabinet in a built-in space. I'd have to remove the whole cupboard in order to fit a bigger fridge in the space, and I'd already cut off 3 inches from the bottom of the cabinet.

Now I'm needing recs for good replacement fridges.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of changing ISPs. Every time I've changed in the past (or the ISP has changed its own name) I've had to send out emails to all my contacts notifying them of the change and log into all the sites SO and I are registered at to change our emails there. I finally got smart and signed up for Gmail accounts to maintain some continuity in the future.

My beef is this. Why is it that commercial and entertainment sites allow you to change your email address then don't have the processes in place to make that transition a smooth one? There are several sites where I couldn't effectively make a change so I logged in with new credentials. One site has me locked out and will not respond to my tech support emails asking them for help.

I'm in the process of changing ISPs. Every time I've changed in the past (or the ISP has changed its own name) I've had to send out emails to all my contacts notifying them of the change and log into all the sites SO and I are registered at to change our emails there. I finally got smart and signed up for Gmail accounts to maintain some continuity in the future.

My beef is this. Why is it that commercial and entertainment sites allow you to change your email address then don't have the processes in place to make that transition a smooth one? There are several sites where I couldn't effectively make a change so I logged in with new credentials. One site has me locked out and will not respond to my tech support emails asking them for help.
Because they don't seem to give a rat's arse about standards. It should be simple. People have been changing email addresses practically since the beginning of the internet.

Reminds me of one of my pet peeves. There is a standard that when you sign up for something where you will receive email, they are supposed to send an email to that email address to verify that you gave the correct email address. Simple, they put a link and you click it or copy it into your browser or sometimes it's reply to the email. Other people sign up for stuff with my email address all. the. time. Most of the places don't verify the email address. There are two that I get nearly daily updates of someone else's stuff. I phoned. They won't take me off their email list because I don't have the password for the service I didn't sign up for. :ermm:

Dawglover, I wouldn't call a broken fridge where you 'HAVE TO' buy a new one, a "petty" vent! :LOL: I would call it a major one!

What is the cost of repairing the drawer? Perhaps you should go with that and just turn off the tap to the ice maker. I had one in a new fridge but we finally disconnected it. The water supply was yechy, not so much for the ice maker but for the water spout tap thingy in the door. The filter had to be constantly changed it. Made the water smell bad and I was afraid it would affect the ice as well. Never missed it. Just filled our trays the old fashioned way. :rolleyes:

So you perhaps have a choice, repair costs and no ice maker. Or cost of shopping and chance of needing reno's to the cupboard again. Just sayin'

ARGH! Ugh! And I have frying pan to my face please? I just got banned from a forum for suggesting a person to go to ER. It was out of line, since that wasnt what the person asked for.. hehum, bleeding and pussy wounds do need medical attention, not hot water and bicard .

*sigh*

I will just add this up to the list of weird reason I been banned, I am not sure it trumps not liking American beers or having ketchup on sausage ( normal in Sweden by the way).

Fingers crossed that your "sick" is all gone while the weather is still nice.

Thank you. Certainly hope so here. I get this cough if I catch a cold in the winter and then nothing helps. I cough whole winter. Nothing helps. Doctor thinks that I am allergic to cold. I asked him to write prescription: "Move to Florida " and insist insurance pay for it. But it is yet to happen.
The older I get the harder it is to deal with cold weather. And I was born and raised in cold weather. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Cakepoet,
If it's a forum you really enjoy, perhaps you could appeal to the admin. It obviously sounds like it was the OP who filed a complaint.

Some people just can't take helpful suggestions of other methods, especially fi it is only confirmation and sanctification (think I just made up a new word?) to what they are already doing. They were certainly not looking for perceived negative thoughts.

No harm in hot water and Bicarb, but just be prepared to head for the ER if or when it doesn/t work.

Last edited:
dragnlaw: The puss is green and the wound is about 2 inches across according to the person and hasnt stopped bleeding since the boil broke two days ago. To me that isnt bicard and water time, that is ER.

Well I will wait for Monday morning and see what happens because now they banned their only OP for the food board.

Mine's a Maytag. Soon to be an ex-Maytag. French doors, bottom freezer. Bought it in 2010, and it's no longer under warranty.

We have size restrictions, as there's an overhead cabinet in a built-in space. I'd have to remove the whole cupboard in order to fit a bigger fridge in the space, and I'd already cut off 3 inches from the bottom of the cabinet.

Now I'm needing recs for good replacement fridges.

I too have size restrictions and had to remove a built in, overhead cupboard. But the fridge is working well, and I found a place to relocate the cupboard. I hope you find a fridge that will work well for you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Taxy, you could possibly just tag those emails as Junk and they would automatically start going there.
Well, yeah, I do that. Then I have more stuff to look through when I check for the good stuff that sometimes accidentally goes to the spam folder.

Besides, it shouldn't be my job to deal with it. There are standards on the internet about this sort of thing. I think verifying email addresses was one of the things mandated in the US anti-spam legislation.

Well, yeah, I do that. Then I have more stuff to look through when I check for the good stuff that sometimes accidentally goes to the spam folder.

Besides, it shouldn't be my job to deal with it. There are standards on the internet about this sort of thing. I think verifying email addresses was one of the things mandated in the US anti-spam legislation.

They don't have an unsubscribe link down at the bottom? Sometimes they hide them in tiny print or light colors you can barely see. I've never had to use a password when I use the unsubscribe feature. There is a doctor that keeps using my e-mail addy to sign up for continuing education, job offerings, etc. It stopped for a while after I did some sleuthing and process of elimination based on the types of e-mails I was getting and blast (literally and figuratively) e-mailed 3 docs about using other people's e-mails, but I've noticed it's starting to creep back again occasionally.

Oh, just remembered, I did have 1 I couldn't get unsubscribed from. I looked up the company, got the VP of something'd addy and e-mailed him. Told him I wasn't the one that signed up for his company's e-mail and that I was going to report his company as a spammer to my ISP if he didn't get me removed PROMPTLY. Got a reply back from him that he would see it was taken care of and they stopped. So, you might try that if there's no unsubscribe.

Dawglover, I wouldn't call a broken fridge where you 'HAVE TO' buy a new one, a "petty" vent! :LOL: I would call it a major one!

What is the cost of repairing the drawer? Perhaps you should go with that and just turn off the tap to the ice maker. I had one in a new fridge but we finally disconnected it. The water supply was yechy, not so much for the ice maker but for the water spout tap thingy in the door. The filter had to be constantly changed it. Made the water smell bad and I was afraid it would affect the ice as well. Never missed it. Just filled our trays the old fashioned way. :rolleyes:

So you perhaps have a choice, repair costs and no ice maker. Or cost of shopping and chance of needing reno's to the cupboard again. Just sayin'

I'd agree with the above, Dawg. That's a fairly new, very expensive fridge!

When we got our new fridge, we disconnected and removed the ice maker for several reasons. We found the perfect solution for producing all the ice we could ever want, with a portable ice maker we keep in the garage. We use bottled water for it, and fill an ice container in the freezer drawer for easy access. Check them out..
Best Portable Ice Maker Reviews: A Comprehensive Guide for Buyers

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The repair people are supposed to call me Monday. I'll see what it costs to reattach the freezer door. They're out of town, and I'm cheap, so if repairs are more than $500, I may dump the Maytag. We've never liked it that much anyway, it spits ice cubes on the floor (thankfully Beagle's water dish is nearby), and I find the bottom freezer drawer to be a pain.

A separate icemaker is a good idea, Kay. I usually don't have room in the freezer for trays, and I use the filtered water for the coffee maker.

Last edited:
I know you'd be very happy with a portable ice machine Dawg, no matter what you decide to do. I love that I have more room for food in my freezer, rather than a machine, and more ice than I need stored there.
Here's my ice container I use, that I fill from the portable machine.
img_1483274_0_702d9cea0478c192f2293988c92e9cd2.jpg

Last edited:
Ice maker removal

To remove the ice maker completely. remove the 2 screws holding to the side of the freezer, then unplug it. When we got our new refrigerator, I asked the installer to remove the ice maker. He told me he could not because it was wired in. BS!

Knock on wood, we've never had issues with any automatic ice maker; we've had three different refrigerators with them over the decades. This last one, in the LG, doesn't interact with the freezer drawer at all. Instead, it has a small unit installed in one of the refrigerator doors, where the dispenser for water/ice is located. All I lost was a bit of depth space to the in-door bins. Still, they're big enough to accommodate jelly jars and such. That ice maker set-up is a big reason why we bought the LG...which ended up with its own set of issues. *sigh*

I'd been battling a persistent headache the last few days. Nothing serious, just an annoyance. Still, never felt like doing anything or even playing in my online playgrounds. Thankfully, today has been headache free from the start. :) I think it's been too much excitement with the playoff baseball games. :LOL:

Glad you're feeling better, CG. I had an almost constant headache a couple weeks ago when I had that cold. I know how miserable it is. Makes it hard to do anything. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom