Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why do people think they will be masterchefs with out knowing the basic??
I been trying to help some one learn how to cook, well the person doesnt want to know the basic but just jump into hard things, things that even I after 37 years of cooking have problem with and my friend the chef says is not for beginners.
And now the person is going around saying I am bad teacher.. *sigh* I honestly want to give up..

Oh well nothing a little whisky and dark chocolate cant cure... or should I go for the German plum brandy?

I been trying to help some one learn how to cook, well the person doesnt want to know the basic but just jump into hard things, things that even I after 37 years of cooking have problem with and my friend the chef says is not for beginners.
And now the person is going around saying I am bad teacher.. *sigh* I honestly want to give up..

Oh well nothing a little whisky and dark chocolate cant cure... or should I go for the German plum brandy?

Your experience reminds me of my grandson. He expects that when he does something the first time it will be perfect and just as he envisioned it. I keep trying to get him to accept that you have to learn the method then PRACTICE. But he's not quite ten years old yet so he will learn. There's no excuse for adults. Many people don't want to put in the work to develop a skill.

Thanks guys. The repair people are supposed to call me Monday. I'll see what it costs to reattach the freezer door. They're out of town, and I'm cheap, so if repairs are more than $500, I may dump the Maytag. We've never liked it that much anyway, it spits ice cubes on the floor (thankfully Beagle's water dish is nearby), and I find the bottom freezer drawer to be a pain.

A separate icemaker is a good idea, Kay. I usually don't have room in the freezer for trays, and I use the filtered water for the coffee maker.

Drat. The repair guy just called, a replacement freezer door is $527. Guess I'll be going shopping.

Your experience reminds me of my grandson. He expects that when he does something the first time it will be perfect and just as he envisioned it. I keep trying to get him to accept that you have to learn the method then PRACTICE. But he's not quite ten years old yet so he will learn. There's no excuse for adults. Many people don't want to put in the work to develop a skill.

I have a four year old who has figured out she has to practice to make perfect.
It is annoying when it comes to adult, some seam to think since they have lived with a chef once, that they can also cook the same way even though they never tried to even boil water before.

It is just annoying.

Oh and I had plum and dark chocolate and some cherry icecream.

If anyone one wondered what happened to banned and the person who should gone to ER. Well I am still banned and some one drove the person to ER and the person is in hospital for sepsis, Swedish health care is very affordable, an ER visit is like 10- 30 dollar.

Oh geez, CP, sepsis is nothing to mess with. You gave good advice.

So sorry your "student" is so ignorant. Life is too short to waste it on unappreciative people.

That's like people who want to learn to play the piano or guitar but do not want to waste time learning to read music.

I know one person who cannot read music at all, but play a tune and she can repeat it perfectly and she can learn new instrument in a week or two but testing her self and listen to others and her voice is like an angel. Sadly this all she can do, she has Savant syndrome and cant speak.

But I do understand that too, I been among a lot of musicians and wannabes and sometimes you just want carve off your ears with a dull guitar string.

But of course, on the other hand, there are a few famous musicians, namely guitarists, who can't read music.
So perhaps, maybe, one can teach someone with no basic cooking knowledge, but someone with basic skills who can follow instructions to the T to prepare an exquisite dish......almost like programming a robot to create a complicated dish.

Last edited:
Setting the exceptions aside for the moment, before you can make music, you have to be able to play the instrument. Which keys, valves or strings make which sounds, how to change those sounds with technique and how to put that all together.

If you can hear a tune and replicate it without reading music or create original music, great. That's exceptional and not the norm.

Setting the exceptions aside for the moment, before you can make music, you have to be able to play the instrument. Which keys, valves or strings make which sounds, how to change those sounds with technique and how to put that all together.

Yes, of course. With basic guitar handling skills, for instance, you can go to the internet and follow tabs to play entire songs. No traditional music reading skill required.

As this conversation started out being about learning to cook, let's go there.

Learning basic concepts for sautéing, braising, baking, etc are important to turning out consistently great results. Learning to use your tools properly and safely is important for for your fingers and the ease with which you can prepare a meal.

And the woman I was talking about was more like a human parrot and that felt weird.

And Oh yes when it comes to cooking , you need to learn how to use the tools correctly, how to prep , know the terminology to some degree and not just guess, google is your friend.
One of the worse students I had, had this idea since he had a better degree then me, he had therefor better understanding in English, he didnt understand words like fold and coat when came to cooking terms and he refused to admit he was wrong or didnt understand and I gave up on him when it came to food safety, he wouldn't listen at all.

I usually start with something simple, how to make a basic tomato sauce, then a basic white milk sauce and so one and then show what you can do more. And yes it comes with whole dinner. Like pasta and tomato sauce and white milk sauce and fried pork and potatoes ( something we eat here) and then go for lasagna or what ever. Every lesson has an advancement in the end of the week. It not repetitive and boring but some people will go beyond the advanced directly.

Tomato sauce is far from basic. It takes patience, time know how to use seasoning properly, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Drat. The repair guy just called, a replacement freezer door is $527. Guess I'll be going shopping.

Not sure how DYI-able you are, but I found a good parts supply store that has always given us good service and excellent prices when we've had to repair something. Actually, I should say when Craig has had to repair something as he is a very good DYI'er. Not sure if I can post a link for something like that so PM if you are interested.

Charlie D, I didnt say an Italian tomato sauce, I said a basic tomato sauce and all you need for a basic tomato sauce according to a few of the 300 + cookbooks I have is tinned tomatoes ( yes fresh tomatoes is only summer time special here) , onion, garlic, fresh basil or dried oregano, salt , tomato paste, sugar and vinegar. It cooks in 1 hour on low heat. This a basic sauce that you can build on, it very basic. It for building on so you can make other dishes or even soup. So yeah isnt as lovely as Italian one but it do if you are starving.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, I do that. Then I have more stuff to look through when I check for the good stuff that sometimes accidentally goes to the spam folder.

Besides, it shouldn't be my job to deal with it. There are standards on the internet about this sort of thing. I think verifying email addresses was one of the things mandated in the US anti-spam legislation.

I agree, should not be your job. E-mail them, tell them you've lost your password - when they send you a temporary one, change it and then "unsubscribe".

I agree, should not be your job. E-mail them, tell them you've lost your password - when they send you a temporary one, change it and then "unsubscribe".
I seem to remember having told the thing that asks for the password that I had forgotten my password, but then it asked some sort of question, like mother's maiden name or account #.

Not sure how DYI-able you are, but I found a good parts supply store that has always given us good service and excellent prices when we've had to repair something. Actually, I should say when Craig has had to repair something as he is a very good DYI'er. Not sure if I can post a link for something like that so PM if you are interested.

Thanks, Med. I'm a big DIYer, the McGuyver of our house, and will continue to monkey around with the dang door. I inspected it further, and the whole plastic interior is cracked around each of the four places where it was attached. Not sure it's salvageable, but I have duct tape and some good drills.

Thanks, Med. I'm a big DIYer, the McGuyver of our house, and will continue to monkey around with the dang door. I inspected it further, and the whole plastic interior is cracked around each of the four places where it was attached. Not sure it's salvageable, but I have duct tape and some good drills.
I would have thought fibre glass tape and epoxy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom