"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #4931
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Mouses...in my cupboards....
Well, crud. Hope you get rid of those little black-rice droppers real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Aw, CG, I'm sorry. It sucks losing a favorite tool. Makes you feel kind of lost in the kitchen...
At least it wasn't a long-time favorite. I used it frequently when I got it, but then kinda relegated it to the cupboard when the cooking surface got funky looking. It was just in the last year that I got it all seasoned up right and started to use it again. Still, I'm bummed.

New Vent:

Poor Himself. We went out to eat last night, now he's laying in bed "not feeling too good". Upset tummy. Hmmm, guess we won't be going back to THAT restaurant again.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #4932
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Hope you get your mouse prob under control soon, Princess. I haven't had any mice in my house, but a couple of years ago my kitty left me a present on the patio , a rat about half his size! Ewwww. I didn't know we had rodents that large lurking about at night here.

So sorry to hear about your frying pan, CG.

Odd, Charlie...I've had State Farm for car and homeowners for over 30 years now and have been very happy with them so far.

My petty vent...I bought a pound of Farmer John bacon the other day and it looked good through the 'window', but when I opened it up to cook it, the rest of the bacon was thick and fatty (and not the good kind of bacony fat that crisps up nicely - it was more like gristle). It was inedible and I had to throw it out. I think I'll email the company - if I can get a coupon, I'll be content with that. Bacon is expensive.
Next time, stick it in the freezer with the receipt Cheryl. Take it with you when you shop next, and they will give you a credit for being unacceptable. We've done that several times with the meat department, and it works.
By the way, we only buy bacon by the pound from the meat case. It goes on sale often, and is far superior to pre packaged bacon.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #4933
Master Chef

Not so much a vent, but a bit of a sad note. Our primary care doctor is retiring. We've been going to him for years, really like the guy, and knew this day was coming. Still, a sad day for Chez Goddess. There are two doctors coming into his practice (see, he was THAT good that it takes two to replace him!) and their credentials sound fine, so we'll give them a chance.

I've been kinda hoping our reason for changing doctors was because we had moved back to OH. Unfortunately, we wore out the one we had here before we had a chance to make our escape back home.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #4934
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Not so much a vent, but a bit of a sad note. Our primary care doctor is retiring. We've been going to him for years, really like the guy, and knew this day was coming. Still, a sad day for Chez Goddess. There are two doctors coming into his practice (see, he was THAT good that it takes two to replace him!) and their credentials sound fine, so we'll give them a chance...
That happened to me years ago when my tried and true Dr. finally retired. He hooked me up with a young Dr. in the practice assuring me I'd like him. He was right. This guy is just right for me except for no sense of humor. SO even switched over to him. So you could be in for a pleasant surprise.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #4935
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Next time, stick it in the freezer with the receipt Cheryl. Take it with you when you shop next, and they will give you a credit for being unacceptable. We've done that several times with the meat department, and it works.
By the way, we only buy bacon by the pound from the meat case. It goes on sale often, and is far superior to pre packaged bacon.
I started doing that too.

The price per pound is usually higher than prepackaged bacon but it actually works out to be cheaper and healthier for me because I only buy a 1/4 pound at a time. I do that with other fresh meats, deli meats and cheeses when I only need a small amount. I'm becoming the customer that everyone hates to be behind at the deli counter, you know the one "two nice slices of turkey, 1/4 pound of mozzarella sliced thin, 3 slices of lean ham sliced thick..." !!!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #4936
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I explained that to a young man who was looking for the smallest, cheapest package of ham. He was also bemoaning the fact that he would have to eat ham sandwiches for several days in a row, because he lived alone and if he didn't, it would go off. It had never occurred to him that he could buy two slices of ham or some other cold cut.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #4937
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I explained that to a young man who was looking for the smallest, cheapest package of ham. He was also bemoaning the fact that he would have to eat ham sandwiches for several days in a row, because he lived alone and if he didn't, it would go off. It had never occurred to him that he could buy two slices of ham or some other cold cut.
Plus if he visited the market's deli, he could not only buy 3 or 4 slices of ham but it would also taste way better than that pre-sliced crap that's packaged up.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #4938
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'd have done that Kay, but I bought it on impulse when I stopped for coffee and a gallon of milk at a 'Drive Thru Dairy' we have here. They don't give itemized receipts so I couldn't prove I bought it there, plus I'd have had to wait in line behind a bunch of cars to return it and make the people behind me wait. LOL. Later, I thought I should have fried it all up anyway just for the bacon fat. I'll see what Farmer John's has to say, just for the heck of it.

I usually buy bacon from the meat case at the grocery store, too - never have been disappointed in the quality.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #4939
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I started doing that too.

The price per pound is usually higher than prepackaged bacon but it actually works out to be cheaper and healthier for me because I only buy a 1/4 pound at a time. I do that with other fresh meats, deli meats and cheeses when I only need a small amount. I'm becoming the customer that everyone hates to be behind at the deli counter, you know the one "two nice slices of turkey, 1/4 pound of mozzarella sliced thin, 3 slices of lean ham sliced thick..." !!!
You sound like me at the grocery store deli counter, AB! A quarter to a third of a pound is the usual weight I request for most deli meats and cheeses for sandwiches - unless I'm expecting family to join me.

I usually find the bacon at the meat counter less expensive than pre-packaged though, and as you say it's handy to buy less than a pound at a time. Usually though I just get a pound, portion it out in several slices, and freeze.

Taxy - I bet that young man you talked to at the store will remember that tip from now on - the deli counter is SO handy for buying for one, and as mentioned, better quality.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #4940
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That happened to me years ago when my tried and true Dr. finally retired. He hooked me up with a young Dr. in the practice assuring me I'd like him. He was right. This guy is just right for me except for no sense of humor. SO even switched over to him. So you could be in for a pleasant surprise.
Kayelle cracked up after that post. Her family Dr., who delivered her younger son retired some years ago, and we now have a very competent younger Dr., who gets busy typing everything on the computer. My last Dr.was like that, but it was a new experience for her.