"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #4931
Sous Chef
 
mmyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 673
Arghh! My microwave died this morning. We really rely on the microwave at our house. There goes another $250 (if I'm lucky.)
__________________

__________________
mmyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #4932
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
Arghh! My microwave died this morning. We really rely on the microwave at our house. There goes another $250 (if I'm lucky.)
Ill trade you! You pay the balance on my bill for my well pump (remaining part is $1,353.81-after already paying my deposit of $1,500.00), and I will buy you a new microwave!

Seriously, I hate it when anything breaks. Sorry you have to buy a new microwave or pay to get the one you have fixed.
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #4933
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
Arghh! My microwave died this morning. We really rely on the microwave at our house. There goes another $250 (if I'm lucky.)

There is no limit to what you can spend, but there are a lot of simple ones for lot less money out there. I'm sorry you have to go thru that.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #4934
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,316
I hate dealing with corporations. I am trying to get a few dental claims paid back from Sun life and they offer on line, direct deposit claiming. I have been trying to get things going for over a week now and they can't seem to set me up on it. I have been on the phone three times, had to go back to the dentist because they gave me incomplete invoice codes, and now the final straw, they don't know what is wrong and tell me I have to mail my claim in manually. The girl said, "Sorry, there is nothing more we can do"
Between the dentist and this Insurance company, they all charge top dollar for everything and offer so much but never deliver. They can't get their crap together. Why can't we decide that maybe I can't pay this month. Sorry. You are going to have to figure something else out.

AHHHHGGGG!!!!
__________________
Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #4935
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
Arghh! My microwave died this morning. We really rely on the microwave at our house. There goes another $250 (if I'm lucky.)
When the microwave on our built-in double oven/microwave broke we got by a few years with a cheap, large countertop unit. The countertop unit was way better than our dated built-in.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #4936
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,714
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I hate dealing with corporations. I am trying to get a few dental claims paid back from Sun life and they offer on line, direct deposit claiming. I have been trying to get things going for over a week now and they can't seem to set me up on it. I have been on the phone three times, had to go back to the dentist because they gave me incomplete invoice codes, and now the final straw, they don't know what is wrong and tell me I have to mail my claim in manually. The girl said, "Sorry, there is nothing more we can do"
Between the dentist and this Insurance company, they all charge top dollar for everything and offer so much but never deliver. They can't get their crap together. Why can't we decide that maybe I can't pay this month. Sorry. You are going to have to figure something else out.

AHHHHGGGG!!!!
Sorry to hear that you have to put up with this stupidity. Can't they give yu a card to show the dentist so he/she bills Sun Life and you just pay the dentist your share?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #4937
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sorry to hear that you have to put up with this stupidity. Can't they give yu a card to show the dentist so he/she bills Sun Life and you just pay the dentist your share?
The dentist doesn't deal that way(surprised??) You have to pay them first and then claim your money back from Sun life....Some chiropractic expenses went through a few weeks ago, which was only 70 bucks, but now the dental one isn't getting through. Which is over 600 balloons......
__________________
Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #4938
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,221
I don't know the norm in Canada, but here in the US, the Dr. bills the insurance company and they pay him directly. Then the Dr. has to bill you any balance. If this is the norm in Canada as well, I'd change dentists. he's just too lazy to do it right.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #4939
Sous Chef
 
mmyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't know the norm in Canada, but here in the US, the Dr. bills the insurance company and they pay him directly. Then the Dr. has to bill you any balance. If this is the norm in Canada as well, I'd change dentists. he's just too lazy to do it right.
Unfortunately this is a sign of the times. It's becoming more and more the norm because dealing with the paper work is getting so horrendous. The doctors have to spend enormous amounts of time filling out paperwork so they've just stop being a participating provider and are charging full fee and making the patient seek reimbursement themselves.

Another new trend here in Hawaii is concierge medicine where you pay annual membership rate to the physician for private / elite services. Don't even bother calling them if you are on Medicare.
__________________
mmyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #4940
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,221
I'm on medicare with a supplemental insurance plan. I get a nice summary report each month detailing medical charges for the period. What's really interesting is the amount billed by the provider as compared to the amount approved by Medicare. The difference is huge. The Medicare approved amount is a small fraction of the amount billed. Medicare and the insurance company share payment of that smaller amount. The really sad fact is that if you have no insurance, you get billed the larger amount!

The insurance co. and Medicare also review the bills to identify duplicate or inappropriate charges which they reject. This protection is lost if the providers bill the customer directly.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.