"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #4941
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Kayelle cracked up after that post. Her family Dr., who delivered her younger son retired some years ago, and we now have a very competent younger Dr., who gets busy typing everything on the computer. My last Dr.was like that, but it was a new experience for her.
AND let me add our new Doctor is soooo enthralled with his laptop, not only does he have no sense of humor, he is annoyed when I interrupt his typing train of thought. I feel like I'm intruding on his time. Just not my idea of Marcus Welby, for those of us old enough to remember him. Sigh.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #4942
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
...I usually find the bacon at the meat counter less expensive than pre-packaged though, and as you say it's handy to buy less than a pound at a time. Usually though I just get a pound, portion it out in several slices, and freeze...
I buy 4 pounds of bacon at Costco and freeze it. Frozen bacon thaws quickly. I cook two pounds at a time in the oven and freeze the excess rolled up in paper towels. It's simple to unroll the paper towel and take out the number of slices I need and nuke it for 10-20 seconds.

Of course, I save the bacon fat in the fridge for cooking.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:13 AM   #4943
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That happened to me years ago when my tried and true Dr. finally retired...So you could be in for a pleasant surprise.
It looks like the new doctor isn't too young. He graduated from Med school in 1991, so I'm figuring he's one side or the other of 50. Certainly won't be wet behind the ears! I'm already figuring I'll like him - he's Polish. However, we won't be talking to each other in Polish since it seems the only words my Mom ever "taught" me were the ones you don't say in polite company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
...we now have a very competent younger Dr., who gets busy typing everything on the computer. My last Dr.was like that, but it was a new experience for her.
Our retiring doctor is a year younger than I am - 63. He's used a laptop to take notes the last 3-4 years. Before that, paper and pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
AND let me add our new Doctor is soooo enthralled with his laptop, not only does he have no sense of humor, he is annoyed when I interrupt his typing train of thought...
Meanwhile, our doctor interrupts his own train of thought when he's taking notes! He'll say to me "now where were we?". He's a talker. And has a great sense of humor. I hope the new doc makes me forget all about Dr. Jeff.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #4944
Chef Extraordinaire

The plan was my daughter would pick me up at 1 p.m. She arrives 15 minutes early. (vent #1) I rush out the door and forget my handicap plaque. I tell Pirate to finish the laundry and keep an eye on the corn beef in the slow cooker, put the veggies in when the time is ready.

We go to eat Fried clams and scallops. Each dish cost $50!!! I would have rather gone hungry than have her pay that much (#2). And that was cheap. The only reason she mentioned it was because we were discussing how expensive seafood has become because it is winter. Then we head out to Assembly Mall. Fortunately we found a handicap spot and she used her own plaque. She forgot that it was in the glove compartment. But it was quite a way from the leather store she wanted to bring me to. (#3) So I start walking and fortunately found a bench I could sit on to catch my breath and rest my hip. We sit for about five minutes and continue on. To buy a leather coat for me I would have to get an "Omar the Tent Maker" size. Leather does not stretch too well across my top.

We start to leave and I spot a rack with blue coats. My whole house is in blue, most of my clothes are blue, etc. So we stop and try one on. IT FIT! And it is so pretty. Has snaps along with buttons. Easier on my fingers. I can reach the bottom of the pockets. It has a detachable hood. A belt long enough to tie instead of fooling with the buckle. Just the perfect length on my arms and body. And on and on. I LOVE this Spring coat. I have never had a coat for Spring. Only Winter.

I get home and there is the laundry not done. (Big #4) And the corn beef is cooking away to almost nothing. Veggies still in the fridge in the pan of water. (Bigger #5) I go into Pirate's room. He has his blanket and mine on him and he is shivering. I put my hand on his forehead and he is burning up with fever. I calm down. (All gone #'s) What in heaven's name has he got.

I head out to the kitchen and take care of the corn beef and tackle the laundry. Then I start to remember buying the perfect coat and the staff and customers in the store. They had just put the coat out last night after the store closed.

My daughter had been in the store just a couple of days earlier to get a coat for herself. Because of her return as a customer, she got a 20% off the sale price. I asked the gentleman that was checking us out to remove all the theft articles because I wanted to wear it out. I mentioned that it was my birthday today and the coat was a present. He started to sing Happy Birthday to me and soon others also. Before you knew it even the customers in the store joined in. I started to cry. I am welling up right now thinking about it. Oh, and he gave her an additional 10% off for my birthday. But he forgot to remove one theft prevention piece and as I walked out the door wearing my new blue coat, sure enough the warning went off. I had to laugh. I have never had that happen before. Who cares about Petty Vents.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #4945
Master Chef

Petty Vents

I don't know either to complain or to be thankful. Our refrigerator died the other day. Everything got defrosted. Had to throw some stuff away. It was fixed the same day, thank G-d we have service, but the best part refrigerator now is absolutely clean and organized.
I don't think it was that cleaned when we bought it 18 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 03-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #4946
Master Chef

Last Wednesday I found my basement flooded with about 3 inches of water. I tried to find teh cause of the problem and pulled the sump pump from the sump whole. The float was stuck on it. A piece of debris has been caught between the pump motor and the float. I removed the debris and the pump turned on properly when submerged. Still, the water didn't seem to be draining. But I figured that it was probably not noticeable as there was a lot of water to drain. Thursday morning, I got up and checked the basement. The water was deeper, but I had to go to work. Thursday afternoon, I removed the drain pipe from the pump discharge and found a stuck check valve. I removed the check valve and let the pump shove water through to the discharge pipe and out into the yard, underground drainage. I checked Friday morning and the basement was clear of water, but the furnace had quit working on Thursday night. I took the day off. I then troubleshot the furnace and after a few hours was able to get it to work, except for the main blower motor. Further troubleshooting revealed that the motor had been damaged by the water from the flooded basement. I now get to find the correct motor from my furnace, and order it to the tune of between $97 to $150. And I have to lay this 60 year old body on the cement floor, covered by a piece of unused vinyl flooring so that I don't have to lie on the still damp, and dirty cement floor, extract the old pump, order the new one, and install it.

Ah well, just another adventure in this thing we call mortality. Many people have worse problems. That's why this is a petty vent. I will get beyond this problem. I wish all of life's problems could be solved so easily.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #4947
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh Chief, you definitely have my sympathy. When I was living in the basement apartment of my daughter's house, the ground water level was very high. So every time it rained, I would hear the sump pump kick on. Well one time it was an horrendous downpour and I was sitting at my computer. All of a sudden I felt cold water surrounding my feet. The water was coming in faster than the pump could handle. Next day there were two sump pumps. The first on in the closet and the new one on the furnace room. That winter, the snow melted really fast at the end of the season. The best sound I ever hear was when both pumps kicked on at the same time.

This is not a good time of the year for you to have furnace problems. Here's hoping that you get it fixed for the smallest cost. Good luck. Here's one for you to keep an eye on you and send you good vibes for you and your furnace.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #4948
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Aww Chief, so sorry you are going through this, especially this time of year. Sending you good thoughts and wishes.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #4949
Chef Extraordinaire

It is time for my six month checkup. I HATE this. Today I go for my physical with my doctor. I have no major problems except for this stinking cold that has left me with a cough and I am constantly bringing up phlegm. Between now and when I get there I have to decide if I am going to let him know. I just want to get this whole process over with.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #4950
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Aw Chief, that stinks. I'm sending positive vibes for a quick, easy, and as inexpensive as possible fix.