Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh....be safe, RF.

I don't think I could handle that, I'm so used to living in an isolated little town where there's no traffic and it takes 5 minutes to get from one end of town to the other. Go Dodgers! :cool:

Ugh....be safe, RF.

I don't think I could handle that, I'm so used to living in an isolated little town where there's no traffic and it takes 5 minutes to get from one end of town to the other. Go Dodgers! :cool:

Thanks. The last time we had this much traffic around here was back in 1988 during the World Series, and a couple of big name rock concerts. It took me over 2 hours to get home from work, and we're only talking 5 miles.

Otherwise, I live on a very quiet, secluded hill top street where there's virtually no traffic at all. The problem is all the roads below us can get jammed.

Last edited:
Thanks. The last time we had this much traffic around here was back in 1988 during the World Series, and a couple of big name rock concerts. It took me 2 hours to get home from work, and we're only talking 5 miles.

Otherwise, I live on a very quiet, secluded hill top street where there's virtually no traffic at all. The problem is all the roads below us can get jammed.

This reminds me of when we went to an out of town Rolling Stones concert years ago with friends. We looked at the line to get out, and then DH took a detour right through a park. We went around all the playground equipment and didn't hit anything. We beat the line, but it probably wasn't legal.

Probably???:ermm: :LOL: Himself said that you should be glad DH wasn't stopped.

roadfix, First World Problems. Be glad your team is still playing. I know I am.

Oh, yeah, and Go Tribe!

This reminds me of when we went to an out of town Rolling Stones concert years ago with friends. We looked at the line to get out, and then DH took a detour right through a park. We went around all the playground equipment and didn't hit anything. We beat the line, but it probably wasn't legal.

That's funny.
In fact, one huge traffic mess here was created during the Rolling Stones concert for 2 evenings, I think a couple or three years ago.

The few fans who know the area pretty well will sometimes park on our street (also known as lovers' lane) and will walk across the park and down to the stadium. That also saves them $20 in parking fees.... :LOL:

I'm currently guarding my domain - The Kitchen. Himself got the idea to mix his batch of "play-dough" now; he needs it for an astronomy program he will be presenting to about 30-35 6th graders Thursday morning. :glare: Meanwhile, I have to be up, dressed, and semi-functional before noon - the garage door service guy (who came at 11:45 AM for a 1-1:30 PM slot on Monday - I was "indisposed") will be showing up "anytime after noon". My mind tells me I need to be presentable by 11:00 AM.

Love the guy, but I'm going to kill him tonight...

Think I'll shower while he's playing Romper Room.

I'm currently guarding my domain - The Kitchen. Himself got the idea to mix his batch of "play-dough" now; he needs it for an astronomy program he will be presenting to about 30-35 6th graders Thursday morning. :glare: Meanwhile, I have to be up, dressed, and semi-functional before noon - the garage door service guy (who came at 11:45 AM for a 1-1:30 PM slot on Monday - I was "indisposed") will be showing up "anytime after noon". My mind tells me I need to be presentable by 11:00 AM.

Love the guy, but I'm going to kill him tonight...

Think I'll shower while he's playing Romper Room.

CG, a number of years ago I worked for an overhead door service. One day I got a call from an elderly man that broke down in tears while talking to me. From what I could make out, he had lost his wife of many years, just a few days earlier. It seems that his door was squeaking when it went up and down. So when he was able to stop crying I told him to have one of his neighbors call me.

A hour later his neighbor did call and I told her to tell one of her sons or husband what to do. Get a can of 40 weight auto oil and run it down the tracks. "Oh, I can do that for him. We have some right now in our garage." She called me back a couple of hours later to tell me problem had been solved. Otherwise, it would have cost the old man $65.00 plus for the oil.

My heart broke for that old man. I just let him cry his eyes dry.

Five miles isn't that long a bike ride. Sounds like a good idea.

You know the dirty old ladies in the forum want pix. :ohmy: ;)

Well, the ride coming home is grueling as it is mostly all up hill.

Here's one photo from one of our "Beer Ride"....You can clearly see what beer does to some of us...:LOL: I'm one of them.
img_1484400_0_e82c71c703df2c26f9d5cf1f27da8cf3.jpg

Here's one photo from one of our "Beer Ride"....You can clearly see what beer does to some of us...:LOL: I'm one of them.
img_1484411_0_e82c71c703df2c26f9d5cf1f27da8cf3.jpg
You're the good looking one, eh?

Uphill cycling, not my favourite.

That was my litany...
Change gear... change gear... change gear... change gear... change gear...

ahhh poop,,,, get off and walk! but that was actually harder to do! Go figure!

...Get a can of 40 weight auto oil and run it down the tracks...
Addie, Himself maintains our household equipment. This ain't no "WD-40" job. He's done all he can do, but he will not touch tightening the springs. Doesn't have the tools, and likes living. It's the one part of garage door maintenance that needs a pro.

Addie, Himself maintains our household equipment. This ain't no "WD-40" job. He's done all he can do, but he will not touch tightening the springs. Doesn't have the tools, and likes living. It's the one part of garage door maintenance that needs a pro.

CG, did you read the whole post? I stated that his complaint was that it made a sqeaky noise when it when up and down. And I stated that he needed 40 weight auto oil. Not WD-40. I am well aware of how dangerous the springs can be. I never stated that he had a spring problem. When I was in the office alone, customers often came in to get springs. They all are colored. White, blue, green and finally red, according to size. Those springs are only for single car doors. Anything above those colors, I would not sell, for the very reason you stated. It needs a pro. It needs specials tools. This company services all the doors at the produce center and Logan Airport along with other companies that have extremely large overhead doors. Those doors require two men to work on them.

BTW, I don't ever recall seeing a can of WD-40 in or on the premises of that company. I know the differences between the two. But they do have a 100 gallon drum of auto oil for the sole purpose of oiling the tracks.

CG, did you read the whole post? I stated that his complaint was that it made a sqeaky noise when it when up and down. And I stated that he needed 40 weight auto oil. Not WD-40. I am well aware of how dangerous the springs can be. I never stated that he had a spring problem...

So in other words, your post wasn't relevant to CG's comment. Right?

CG, did you read the whole post?...
Of course I read the entire post, Addie. :rolleyes: Twice. I was trying to figure out what your crying customer and squeaking door had to do with my post about Himself messing up my kitchen and needing to be up early. :huh: I always read full posts AND all of the posts within a thread I'm participating in.

Himself was surprised that you would tell that man to use auto oil since it would drip when the weather got around 50 degrees. We've owned a home for 39 years this week :ohmy: and he has always used WD-40 white lithium grease. He's a smart guy and knows what he can do and what he can't, and what tools to use for the jobs he can do. I think I'll stick with Himself's ideas.

img_1484469_0_e82c71c703df2c26f9d5cf1f27da8cf3.jpg

Hm. I think you're all pretty cute, especially the guy in orange on the end!

We dirty old ladies like our pics!

Of course I read the entire post, Addie. :rolleyes: Twice. I was trying to figure out what your crying customer and squeaking door had to do with my post about Himself messing up my kitchen and needing to be up early. :huh: I always read full posts AND all of the posts within a thread I'm participating in.

Himself was surprised that you would tell that man to use auto oil since it would drip when the weather got around 50 degrees. We've owned a home for 39 years this week :ohmy: and he has always used WD-40 white lithium grease. He's a smart guy and knows what he can do and what he can't, and what tools to use for the jobs he can do. I think I'll stick with Himself's ideas.

CG, I was a little confused by Addie's response too, and to be honest I cannot imagine using motor oil. Since there have been garage doors and automatic openers, there have been much better alternatives. :huh:

I've been using '3-In-One' spray for mine, but will check out the lithium grease spray that Himself uses when I eventually run out of what I've got - three full cans still in the garage. LOL. I think they're both made by WD-40 anywho, and in my mind that company ranks right up there with duct tape. :LOL:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-IN-ONE-11-oz-3-in-One-Garage-Door-Lubricant/3348342

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom