"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #4951
Master Chef

Yeah, I hate dealing with sump pumps (sewage pump in my case). Over the years, I had to replace mine twice but it gets messy when it fails and sewage start seeping up and over the holding tank and over onto the concrete slab. I've since installed an alarm.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #4952
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Last Wednesday I found my basement flooded with about 3 inches of water. I tried to find teh cause of the problem and pulled the sump pump from the sump whole. The float was stuck on it.
Basements are rare out west where I am from, so when we moved here to Ohio I was kinda irritated that the basement here would flood a little when it rained. Just a thin layer of water, but I don't want any water at all coming into the basement/house.

I had about 5 tons of dirt delivered that I shoveled around the foundation to slope away from the house, and it helped a little. Finally had to hire a contractor to dig out an interior french drain along the north wall of the basement. It doesn't even have an electric sump pump -- just drains to the sewer. But no more water in the basement. Wasn't too pricey -- $1,500 I think for labor/materials.

Sounds like you're getting a lot of water at the footings. Sometimes strategically placed dirt can remove a lot of that water. And of course having proper rain gutters on the roof and downspout extensions.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:59 AM   #4953
Master Chef

Chief LotN, sorry to hear about the water in your basement. Hope the sump pump issue is all fixed up and you're low is dry.

I invited SIL and her hubby over for Easter on Friday. Saturday I called to tell her I wasn't sure if I was going to have to come up with a Plan B. Why? Well, when I fished around my 1-quart Chinese soup take-out container for a little scrapper thing for cleaning the counter seams...I also found about two inches of water in that container. Upon further investigation, and a few well-positioned cell phone pictures, I decided that our disposal was leaking. As was some part of our faucet. Now the faucet is a Kohler and all parts are lifetime-guaranteed. If it needs something, they'll send something. I think I know where it is leaking, so Himself can check that come Monday. The disposal, though, looks like we're going to need a new one. That can be a job for next week. Meanwhile, I had not planned on cleaning out the cupboard under the sink but it's all washed down now. Everything is on the side that looks like it will stay dry, while anywhere that might leak has a tub of some kind to catch the water. Just so long as I can fix, serve, and clean up from Easter dinner I'll be a happy bunny.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:25 AM   #4954
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I had not planned on cleaning out the cupboard under the sink but it's all washed down now. Everything is on the side that looks like it will stay dry, while anywhere that might leak has a tub of some kind to catch the water.
These things seem to always happen on or around a holiday!

A tip I learned a long time ago is to keep all of the "stuff" under the kitchen sink in a pair of inexpensive rectangular plastic dish pans. Easy to pull out quickly and keeps the bottom of the cabinet free of rust rings and gunk spots. The downside is that sometimes they fill with water before you realize that you have a leak!

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #4955
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
These things seem to always happen on or around a holiday!

A tip I learned a long time ago is to keep all of the "stuff" under the kitchen sink in a pair of inexpensive rectangular plastic dish pans. Easy to pull out quickly and keeps the bottom of the cabinet free of rust rings and gunk spots. The downside is that sometimes they fill with water before you realize that you have a leak!

Good luck!
Me too. I use a couple of those wash basins you are given in the hospital. Fits perfectly under the sink.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #4956
Master Chef

Addie, I don't have those basins around my house. Thankfully, my only trip to the hospital was to have our kids 35 years ago. Luckily, the Dollar Store isn't far away. MUCH cheaper than any hospital stay, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
...A tip I learned a long time ago is to keep all of the "stuff" under the kitchen sink in a pair of inexpensive rectangular plastic dish pans...
I've done that in all three of our houses. Probably did it in the apartments, too. Learned it all from my Mom. It's a great idea when it works! And it works if you have said container right where the drip will start. Sadly, I ended up with rusty water under the plastic basket, in the plastic basket, and in the quart container inside the basket under the disposal leak. Had not anticipated a need to shove something small and narrow under the faucet fittings. At least THAT leak was clean water! Small blessings.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #4957
Master Chef

We have those plastic dish pans under every sink in our house.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #4958
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Why have I never heard of or thought of using plastic dish pans for stuff under the sink? Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll get some as soon as I'm well.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #4959
Chef Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, in this family, we have all brought home more than our share of those wash basins. The only problem is that is they are always pink. I do not have one pink item in my home. Well, at least they are out of sight under the sink.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #4960
Master Chef

Mother Nature took the ball and went home...

I wait all winter, and put up with spring training, until Baseball Season gets here. WHY northern teams don't start south of the Mason-Dixon Line or in domed ballparks to start the season is beyond me. Sadly, no Cleveland Indians game today. Hope we get to play the Red Sox each of the next three days so we don't have to figure out shared days off during the season. Doesn't look promising.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.