"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #4971
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That's terrible, CCL, so hurtful. {{{hugs}}} from here along the river too.
(((Hugs)))) back atcha, Dawg. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Here is the link tbihome.org & Homepage: Brain Injury, TBI, ABI, Closed Head Injury, Survivors & caregivers
I was very active here after my wife's braininjury
Okay, thanks! I'll go look!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #4972
Sous Chef

Oh dear, it's offline.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #4973
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Oh no! I'm so sorry. ((HUGS)) for you, and I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Thank you soooooo much for saying that; I appreciate you so much. I didn't feel it was fair, either. I need challenges, and it's gone now. Thank you for sharing about your wife. I am sorry for your loss, and it must have hurt you to post this. Thank you so much.
Dear CCL, thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I lost my wife in 2005, and now have a new life with Kayelle.
You do not get over a loss, but you get past it. My wife was afflicted with the same thing that killed her father, but recovered enough to live another 12 years. She died from cancer, which was not a result of her brain injury.
When my wife was in ICU, the nurses would look at me and sadly shake their heads. A few months later, my wife went back to the ICU and gave the nurses "the finger"
Old 04-06-2016, 12:54 AM   #4974
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Dear CCL, thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I lost my wife in 2005, and now have a new life with Kayelle.
You do not get over a loss, but you get past it. My wife was afflicted with the same thing that killed her father, but recovered enough to live another 12 years. She died from cancer, which was not a result of her brain injury.
When my wife was in ICU, the nurses would look at me and sadly shake their heads. A few months later, my wife went back to the ICU and gave the nurses "the finger"
SC, we just had a death in the family two days ago. I was very close to her mother and I know what it is like to lose a child. Thank you for those words. I have been struggling to find the words to say to her. And your words are perfect. She will be hearing them from me tomorrow. Thank you very much.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:21 AM   #4975
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
I'm in tears tonight. I was a Mentor in my writing forum, but they decided to take that away.

They don't think I'm mentally up to the job...
I'm sorry to see this, CCL, but I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. Maybe they took you off the mentoring job because they thought it would hamper your recovery. Perhaps they did it because they think that giving you that extra time will help you recover faster. Whether or not that's their intention, I hope you get back to doing what you enjoy soon.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:29 AM   #4976
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
SC, we just had a death in the family two days ago. I was very close to her mother and I know what it is like to lose a child. Thank you for those words. I have been struggling to find the words to say to her. And your words are perfect. She will be hearing them from me tomorrow. Thank you very much.
Oh no. I am so sorry.God bless them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm sorry to see this, CCL, but I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. Maybe they took you off the mentoring job because they thought it would hamper your recovery. Perhaps they did it because they think that giving you that extra time will help you recover faster. Whether or not that's their intention, I hope you get back to doing what you enjoy soon.
Thank you. I hope.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #4977
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You are welcome. At some point in the future, I remember the words of a mother who lost her child: "Just because you have moved forward, it does not mean you have left the ones you lost behind."
I still light a memorial candle for my mother, father, and wife, but I have moved forward to a new life.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:13 AM   #4978
Sous Chef

Addie, you know you have my prayers and condolences. I'm so sorry, dear.

Sous, I didn't know you were married to Kayelle, and that is wonderful!

I am sorry for your loss. I was a widow at 38. I understand.

Gosh dang, I love you folks!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #4979
Master Chef

I believe that we are on this Earth, in this mortal form to grow, to experience heartache, exuberance, the joy of children, the love a good spouse, the anguish of hard times, especially when it affects out families, the bliss of a great meal, the wonders that surround us every day, to make mistakes, and to learn how to resolve problems of all kinds. In short, we are here to experience and to learn.

That being said, in the last two years, I've had to put money into the car, replace the roofing and repair a section of the roof, watch my wife come withing a breath of dying, fix my furnace, take on major projects at work that involve learning whole new systems, without any training, my basement flooding, a large tree branch falling onto my aluminum canoe, destroying it, help bolster my wife to help make her life livable, and now, my water pump, just today, failed. This bugger is 90 feet deep and I have to pull it up by hand to determine if the wire has rubbed against the casing and shorted out due to the insulation wearing away, or if the pump itself has failed. Oh, and the fund I have for building a new garage is slowly being eaten by all the other more pressing projects.

I'm not saying - Why me? I am saying - can I have a break in the challenges for a short time?

I'd love to find a way to give my wife a day, just a day without pain and suffering. I'd love for her to be able to step outside, on a warm day in the forest, without biting bugs. I'd love to come home from work feeling energetic and fresh, raring to do dive into one of the many projects that need to be completed.

But I have faith that all of this is form my good, and for my learning, by a power wiser than me.

I envy the fictitious Huck Finn, lying on a bank, snoozing on a warm summer day, with cool breezes keeping him cool, and a fishing line tied to his toe to wake him when a fish bites. The world has not progressed. It has simply become more complex, with more things to fail. And society, while not getting substantially meaner in most places, isn't as friendly and trusting as it once was.

I'm just not looking forward to pulling that pump tomorrow. Fortunately, I have a son at home who is willing to help. I have a reason to be thankful. He and I get to work together, without any reason to disagree, or argue. It should be a good day, except for the expense of fixing, or replacing the pump.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #4980
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh Chief! Good gravy, you've been through the fire! Many hugs for you and your wife!