"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #4981
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh Chief! Good gravy, you've been through the fire! Many hugs for you and your wife!
That's what I was thinking. Yes (((hugs))) for both of you. And positive thoughts.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #4982
Master Chef
Sending along good thoughts to you and yours, Chief.

Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #4983
Master Chef
Dang, it's been trouble after trouble for you lately. I sure hope the cheap fix is the right fix. Good luck, and keep us posted on your pump problems.

Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
...I envy the fictitious Huck Finn, lying on a bank, snoozing on a warm summer day, with cool breezes keeping him cool, and a fishing line tied to his toe to wake him when a fish bites...
Um, I hate to break it to ya, Chief, but in case you haven't noticed...you ain't 14 anymore.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #4984
Certified Pretend Chef
Sorry to hear of your problems, Chief. I know you have the strength to get through it all.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #4985
Chef Extraordinaire
So sorry, Chief. {{{hugs}}}
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:12 AM   #4986
Chef Extraordinaire
Chief, I know you can get through this also. You are very strong and have enough faith to face anything. I am glad you have your son there. It will make the chore of that pump go faster and a lot easier.

Take care and good luck with your pump problems. We all are in your corner and pulling for you.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:35 AM   #4987
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
So sorry Chief...but if anyone can make lemonade out of lemons, it's you. Keep your spirits up and feel free to vent when needed. Hugs!
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #4988
Master Chef
Thanks everyone. The person that needs well wishes and prayers is my wife. I am still able to get around, go to work, and do things. There are just more things to do now. She's the one who is hurting, mentally, and physically.

I appreciate your well wishes, and prayers, for those who pray. Yes, this is just another speed-bump on road of life. As CG said, I'm not 14 anymore. At 60, things that used to be almost effortless become a challenge. But as I said, I have my son here to help. I'm just so used to doing everything myself. It's hard to let go of the reins, to have to rely on others. But you know, when you allow others to help, it strengthens the bonds between you, and gives them a chance to feel useful, and strong.

We all have to realize that there will come a day when we can no longer walk beside a rugged fishing stream, or just start walking a two-track for a day, just to see where it goes, or fix the furnace, or the car, etc.

The worst part of growing older, or like my wife, becoming completely dependent, is the sorrow that comes from thinking that you are simply a burden to your loved ones, and living through constant pain. That's why she needs your kind spirits, and thoughts, and prayers.

By this afternoon, the pump will be fixed, and I'll have a little less money in the bank. However, like you said, at my age and health, I'm still a survivor. It states in scripture that God will give us no challenge, except that he will provide a way for us to get through that challenge. That's always been the case in my life, though the challenges have some times taken serious work to get through. There are so many people who would love to have my simple challenges, as their own lives are far more difficult than mine. Well, I suppose I should start getting something done around here.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #4989
Chef Extraordinaire
Chief, I can empathize with you completely. At 77 I am constantly reminded that I am no longer 20 years old. I tire so easily now. I have reverted to using paper plates, because to stand at the sink for any length of times, exhausts me. I can make it doing just the silverware and pans. But I am fortunate in that I have Pirate here with me. But at 53 his health is failing him also. He has arthritis and neuropathy in his feet. That came from 20 plus years of carpet installing and kicking it in with his knees. A hazard of the occupation. So walking for him is very painful right now, and he is constantly falling. One of these days he will break a bone. Then what do I do. But I don't want to lay that thought on him. We both have our own worries.

It is very frustrating when you realize that age has caught up with your body. During my working days my plan was to work until I was 70 and then do volunteer work for the Boston Opera Co. and Ballet Co. Open heart surgery along with three heart attacks killed that idea real quick.

When my kids would tell me, "it's not fair!," I would ask them who promised you fair? Well now my words are haunting me. No one promises us fair. We do our best to care for our family and can only pray for the best. That is about the fairest it is ever going to get.

I know it is hard to stand by and watch your wife to be in her condition. But you still have her. I have buried two husbands and a child. "It is just not fair." But who promised me fair?

So my heart goes out to you. You have the fortitude to see yourself through this latest setback. And you also have your faith. Hang in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel. It is called "Faith" and "believing!"

God luck my friend. It will get better. Keep your faith.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #4990
Executive Chef
Sorry to hear of all this Chief. It is definitely not a "Petty" vent! When you find yourself at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on! FDR

CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote