"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #4991
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Or you could memorize the number. Himself used to panic when I rattled it off at a snap, even reciting the expiration date and my security code. Had to remind him repeatedly that I log into the account using the number as the I.D. and I pay a number of bills by phone using number/expire/security code. He's finally to the point where he now knows I'm not spending us into the poorhouse!
Hey, the poorhouse is not such a bad place to be. When you go to the poor house, you finally qualify for something. Anything. You work all you life and watch your neighbors getting fuel assistance, food stamps, lower rent, etc. They didn't have to work for years to get to the poorhouse. They started out there and some have never made any effort to leave it. The rest of us though worked our way here through years of difficult times. Then through the aging process we finally earned the right to walked through the doors of the poorhouse with our heads held high knowing that we worked hard to get here. No a bad place to be. We know our waning years will be spent living in comfort and having our wants and needs being met.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #4992
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 10,083
That's reassuring to know Addie! Actually, our wants are little and our needs are even less. Mom was so good at making lots with little that we would say she squeezed the buffalo so hard it would poop dimes. And when Mom said it she didn't say "poop". Now our daughter says I'm so good with money that I could get two dimes worth of stuff from one nickel. When Himself was laid off my first thought wasn't about paying for the house (it was paid off, thanks in part to the proceeds of selling Mom and Dad's home) or how would we eat, but "Oh No! Himself is going to be home ALL the time?"

You've got about a dozen years on me. By the time I get to the poorhouse there won't be anything left to support me!
__________________

__________________
"Eating ruins your appetite"~Mom

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #4993
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's reassuring to know Addie! Actually, our wants are little and our needs are even less. Mom was so good at making lots with little that we would say she squeezed the buffalo so hard it would poop dimes. And when Mom said it she didn't say "poop". Now our daughter says I'm so good with money that I could get two dimes worth of stuff from one nickel. When Himself was laid off my first thought wasn't about paying for the house (it was paid off, thanks in part to the proceeds of selling Mom and Dad's home) or how would we eat, but "Oh No! Himself is going to be home ALL the time?"

You've got about a dozen years on me. By the time I get to the poorhouse there won't be anything left to support me!
And that is the sad part for your generation. When I was just a brand new bride, my husband didn't think I would know how to handle money. So he kept a close eye on my spending. When he would ask me how did I spend that ($........) amount of money, I could account for every cent and then count out the change that was left over. After a couple of months of this, he started to just leave his paycheck on the table unopened. I would sign his name, cash the check, give him his allowance, pay the bills and still have some left over when he got paid again. One time he got a raise. I used it to pay off a couple of small bills. After a few weeks of this I increased his allowance. He was surprised. "What's this for?" He had no idea that he had received a raise. I split the difference with him.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #4994
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 10,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And that is the sad part for your generation....
I'm guessing you're referring to the last part only. I'm old enough to have been taught how to manage money AND have the learnin' stick! Make It Due-Wear It Out-Use It Up. I've managed our money practically all our married life. I quit work when the babies showed up and ran a ledger for all our expenses. When the paycheck hit the bank I'd portion out what needed to be set aside for each expense, then pay the bills that were coming due. We've been blessed in that Himself had a job that allowed us to do such a thing and meet all expenses with some left over. Not wanting fancy vacations or cars worked too. We're just simple folk.
__________________
"Eating ruins your appetite"~Mom

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #4995
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm guessing you're referring to the last part only. I'm old enough to have been taught how to manage money AND have the learnin' stick! Make It Due-Wear It Out-Use It Up. I've managed our money practically all our married life. I quit work when the babies showed up and ran a ledger for all our expenses. When the paycheck hit the bank I'd portion out what needed to be set aside for each expense, then pay the bills that were coming due. We've been blessed in that Himself had a job that allowed us to do such a thing and meet all expenses with some left over. Not wanting fancy vacations or cars worked too. We're just simple folk.
I'm guessing you're referring to the last part only. Exactly. What is going to be left for your generation when your time comes? We seem to only elect idiots to Washington.

Make It Due-Wear It Out-Use It Up. Did your mother know my mother? We didn't throw out a sock with a tiny hole, we darned it before it got too big. A skill not too many know today. I remember a winter jacket I had from when we lived on the farm. The lining was in tatters. So my mother cut it all out and it became a spring jacket. That jacket lasted me for about another five years.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #4996
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Dear Mr. Headache:

Could you please come back to play some other time? I'm a little busy right now playing hostess to Mr. Sore Toe and Ms. Achy Back. Thank you.

Sincerely, CG
Hope you are feeling a bit better now
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #4997
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 11,011
I've never used this thread before now, but I guess this is the place for my rant.

Did anyone watch the Macy's fireworks show in NYC last night? The light show was spectacular over the Hudson as usual, but the music was HORRIBLE!!
It seems that Usher was responsible for the music choices, and while I enjoy him as a performer, his choices of music for the fireworks celebration actually made me angry. Where was the traditional patriotic music we all have come to associate with the celebration? While most of the selections would have been ok in the pre-show, they were ridiculous in being played during the light show! I really missed the heart booming traditional music, and when they started playing a RAP selection I turned the sound off!!!
Ghaaaaa........:hamme r:
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #4998
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,095
I missed the fireworks display and Boston Pops musical performance last night in Boston. I look forward to it.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #4999
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I missed the fireworks display and Boston Pops musical performance last night in Boston. I look forward to it.
Too bad. They shot some of the fireworks off from the Mass. Ave bridge when they were playing the Stars and Stripes Forever. It looked like the shell was framed in fire works. A beautiful effect. I hope they repeat it every year. I wasn't impressed with the guest stars at all. Names of New England performers I had never heard of that supposedly made it big.

Kayelle, half of the celebrations' is the music we have heard since childhood. I have to admit, that the chosen works were spot on for us. As a rocket lit up, the music was right in time with it. I don't know who is responsible for choosing it to work that way, but as you sit there watching and listening, it dawns on you how it all works together. If there was a lull in the rockets, so to for the music. Remind me not to come to NY for a 4th celebration.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #5000
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Too bad. They shot some of the fireworks off from the Mass. Ave bridge when they were playing the Stars and Stripes Forever. It looked like the shell was framed in fire works. A beautiful effect. I hope they repeat it every year. I wasn't impressed with the guest stars at all. Names of New England performers I had never heard of that supposedly made it big...
I got home from my sister's last night and our guests were watching that Gordon Ramsey reality show and seemed to be into it so I didn't interfere.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.