"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #4991
Executive Chef

Very petty vent....

Why do credit card companies waste the time and money to send you a bill telling you that you have a $0 balance? And include a return envelope?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #4992
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Very petty vent....

Why do credit card companies waste the time and money to send you a bill telling you that you have a $0 balance? And include a return envelope?
All the more reason to go with paperless billing...
I don't receive billing in the mail for anything. I get enough junk mail as it is..... and they get tossed out without opening.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #4993
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Very petty vent....

Because the system is automated?

Roadfix is right. Go paperless!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #4994
Master Chef

Quote:
Very petty vent....

That is just sloppy work by the credit card servicer. The major credit card issuers use intelligent inserting or at least that is what it was called in my day. A setting in the statement inserting script to eliminate the pp envelope on zero balance or zero payment accounts was not set properly.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #4995
Sous Chef

I am venting right now. Maybe it's petty, maybe it's not.

I live in subsidized housing that houses a lot of people who have been through rehab. Most of them are just people who got themselves straight and some of them are just normal people. And some of them are the people you read about on notalwaysright.com .

Yesterday I had someone knocking on my door asking to borrow $3. I said all I had was 20. The person then asked me to drive them down to the store. Now, I have two things I don't do here. I don't loan money to people and I don't give rides. I am one of the few people who have a car and it's an old car that I have to keep running as long as I can, so I try to do a limited amount of driving. I also pay the cheapest insurance I can get away with. It covers virtually nothing, but it's legal for my state.

In the last month, more than a couple of people have asked me to give them rides and a few of them more than one or two times. Since I don't like getting dressed and going out when I don't have to and because I ration my gas pretty carefully, plus I don't really feel like being anyone's personal chauffeur, I turned everyone down. I tell people I hope they understand I can't play favorites so I won't be giving anyone rides.

So I explain that again and the person wanting the $3 goes off. Today I'm doing my laundry (takes $2 in quarters) and I meet this person in the hallway. This is the conversation that ensued:

Him: Where'd you get the money to do laundry?

Me: I saved up my quarters.

Him: But you told me yesterday all you had was 20.

Me: I did. Oh, I see what you're saying. Yes, I had the quarters, but I needed them for my laundry today.

Him: Well, I don't know why you would tell me you only had 20 when you had money for laundry.

Me: Why would I? I wouldn't have loaned you that money anyway, because I needed it to do laundry.

Him: Well, the reason I was asking was because I needed to do my laundry. I think if you had money you shouldn't have lied to me. I really needed to do my laundry.

Me: I hate to tell you this, but no matter how bad you needed to do your laundry, you couldn't have done it anyway because I wasn't going to loan my laundry money to you.

Him: I don't know why not. That's really cold, saying you don't have any money so you don't have to loan it out to someone who needs to do their laundry. *takes off*

Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #4996
Master Chef

^^^^ Yep, it's best to stand your ground, be firm, and have a blanket rule about loaning money and giving them rides.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #4997
Chef Extraordinaire

Next time let the person know that they can purchase a scrubbing board like their grandmother used, at the local hardware. They still make them. That and a bar of yellow soap along with some elbow grease will do the job.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #4998
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
^^^^ Yep, it's best to stand your ground, be firm, and have a blanket rule about loaning money and giving them rides.
+1. It's not your responsibility to take care of others needs before your own. It must be a very difficult situation though, to come face to face with those who want your money and free taxi service. I'm so sorry, RR. Take care and above all, keep yourself safe. (((hugs)))
Old 04-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #4999
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a free government cell phone. I get 120 minutes a month and then for five dollars more out of my own pocket, I get and additional 120 minutes. I try not to use them all in one month. So I like to make calls from my computer. But it is in the same room where the television is. In order to make the call, I have to turn the sound on the TV to mute. Having Pirate underfoot 24 hours some days is beginning to wear thin on me. There is not much to do here except cook, clean house and watch TV. Now that the good weather is starting to come around I am hoping that he tries to go out for walks or see some of his friends. As long as it is not raining. On rainy days, he falls a lot. the neuropathy has really done a number on him.

I want my life of living alone back. I am one of those folks who like living alone. Pirate right now is in the best of health that he is ever going to be. Time for him to find his own housing. The clinic where he goes has a social worker whose job is to help people who are disabled, senior citizens, etc. find affordable subsidized housing. In his own way, he has been a tremendous help to me financially. Now it is time for him to put his money where it will do the most good for him, not me. It is time for me to turn into a nag. "Make an appointment for housing with the social worker." Did you call the social worker today?" Nag, nag, nag.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #5000
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I am venting right now. Maybe it's petty, maybe it's not.

I live in subsidized housing that houses a lot of people who have been through rehab. Most of them are just people who got themselves straight and some of them are just normal people. And some of them are the people you read about on notalwaysright.com .

Yesterday I had someone knocking on my door asking to borrow $3. I said all I had was 20. The person then asked me to drive them down to the store. Now, I have two things I don't do here. I don't loan money to people and I don't give rides. I am one of the few people who have a car and it's an old car that I have to keep running as long as I can, so I try to do a limited amount of driving. I also pay the cheapest insurance I can get away with. It covers virtually nothing, but it's legal for my state.

In the last month, more than a couple of people have asked me to give them rides and a few of them more than one or two times. Since I don't like getting dressed and going out when I don't have to and because I ration my gas pretty carefully, plus I don't really feel like being anyone's personal chauffeur, I turned everyone down. I tell people I hope they understand I can't play favorites so I won't be giving anyone rides.

So I explain that again and the person wanting the $3 goes off. Today I'm doing my laundry (takes $2 in quarters) and I meet this person in the hallway. This is the conversation that ensued:

Him: Where'd you get the money to do laundry?

Me: I saved up my quarters.

Him: But you told me yesterday all you had was 20.

Me: I did. Oh, I see what you're saying. Yes, I had the quarters, but I needed them for my laundry today.

Him: Well, I don't know why you would tell me you only had 20 when you had money for laundry.

Me: Why would I? I wouldn't have loaned you that money anyway, because I needed it to do laundry.

Him: Well, the reason I was asking was because I needed to do my laundry. I think if you had money you shouldn't have lied to me. I really needed to do my laundry.

Me: I hate to tell you this, but no matter how bad you needed to do your laundry, you couldn't have done it anyway because I wasn't going to loan my laundry money to you.

Him: I don't know why not. That's really cold, saying you don't have any money so you don't have to loan it out to someone who needs to do their laundry. *takes off*

Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.
I'm glad you said no. If that person had no money for laundry why would they need a ride to the store? With what?

It's NOT your problem they're fresh put of rehab. Rehab is supposed to fix stupid. Not to to have the exited rehaber's bothering you to the point of harassment as he did!

You said no and that's where it should have ended.
He pushed the point that has me wondering what his true motivations were. "How much money does she keep in petty cash around the house?"
You see what I mean? That's a safety issue.

I think your a nice person. Not a piece of linoleum.
The best thing to do is avoid him. Keep up with what your doing.

On a side not here* not long ago the police has arrested an aggressive panhandler at an intersection stop light. When they searched him they found that he had well over $1,800.00 on him.

So you were right not to give him your money. Your door probably wasn't the only door he knocked on that day.