"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #5011
Master Chef

Leaving Miami. Or rather we were supposed to leave at 3:40. It's 7:40. We are still seating on the plane, with no information when we would move. It's raining outside. I thought planes nowadays can fly any time. I guess I thought wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #5012
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Leaving Miami. Or rather we were supposed to leave at 3:40. It's 7:40. We are still seating on the plane, with no information when we would move. It's raining outside. I thought planes nowadays can fly any time. I guess I thought wrong.

You've been sitting on the plane for 4 hours? Wow. Be sure to stand up and move around. Don't want blood clots .

Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #5013
Master Chef

No, on the plane only for hour and a half. But now we are back to gate.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:49 AM   #5014
Master Chef

13 hours later we finally landed in Mpls.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #5015
Head Chef

Quote:

I heard that on the 5 p.m. news last night. I think it was more the lightening, besides the fact that it had been a long time since this area had any substantial rain and it was coming down pretty hard. Craig was working on the west coast yesterday and that's where the storms were coming from so he got it all the way across the state. Lots of fun driving on Alligator Alley when it storms (not). There were flash flood warnings for all of Miami-Dade and central and southern Broward. In particular, the worst part of the storm was over the airport area and a bit north. You should have seen the radar and street shots they were showing of the flooded streets.

Glad you got home okay though.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #5016
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Glad to hear the good news.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #5017
Master Chef

Quote:

After that ordeal you need a vacation!
Old 05-08-2016, 05:23 AM   #5018
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I posted Happy Mother's Day, on FaceBook, to friends and family who celebrate it and that I would ignore anything else about Mother's Day, because it is a painful holiday for me.

One of my "friends" replied that she understood completely. Would I like to come over for drinks and dinner on Sunday?

Why would I want to go celebrate Mother's Day with a mother and her child (and her s.o.)? Was she just not thinking?
Old 05-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #5019
Master Chef

Maybe she didn't want to celebrate. Maybe she was just offering an alternative option of a dinner cooked by someone else, with the addition of drinks. Maybe LOTS of drinks. I tend to stay off of Facebook on Mother's Day. I haven't had a chance to be home with the kids on this day since we moved. Until we move back, I'm just not in the mood to see all the "Mom" stuff.

Speaking of Facebook, WHY do people have to attack others when they're there? I had posted the same "Gap Year" comment there as I had posted here. Next, I'm getting attacked by a real, published, well-known author whom I "friended" way back when celebrities didn't have "Like" pages. I had met him once, decades ago, and thoroughly enjoyed his books. However, I was aware of his political leanings (as in, so far from any viewpoint I might hold he would fall over on that side if I were to gently blow his way...) and therefore do not have his personal comments appear in my news feed. I guess he still sees my few "Status Update" posts in his feed, however. Before I know it, I'm reading words that would make my Mother blush , and she was a good one at swearing. I did reply, with a measured tone and civility. Back with the attacks on his part. Again, I reply politely. Finally, I had enough. I told him he need not reply again; I was considering my thread "closed". So far, he hasn't bothered to challenge that. If he did, I'd just delete his post.

I enjoy using FB for its social connection aspect. As far as politics or modern social issues? On FB, I have no opinion.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #5020
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Maybe she didn't want to celebrate. Maybe she was just offering an alternative option of a dinner cooked by someone else, with the addition of drinks. Maybe LOTS of drinks. ...
Yeah, that is undoubtedly what she was thinking. But, how likely does it seem that there wouldn't be any Mother's Day celebrating? She has a 4 or 5 year old daughter and she is still very proud of finally succeeding at becoming a mother in her forties. As to drinks, she knows I'm the only driver in the family, so I don't drink much when I go out.

Thank you for reminding me of this. It is far from the first time she has said or done something that really makes me wonder about her intentions. I just have to remember that, in spite of being smart, she is occasionally a total oblivitron.

Oh well, I'm not exactly perfect either.