Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can hope you don't glue your fingers together, you can wish for luck in not getting glue on your fingers and thumb, you can pray that you don't glue yourself together, you can have previous experience with gluing with superglue, and yet, it still can happen.

You can hope you don't glue your fingers together, you can wish for luck in not getting glue on your fingers and thumb, you can pray that you don't glue yourself together, you can have previous experience with gluing with superglue, and yet, it still can happen.

;) So Bliss, does this happen often to you? :LOL:

Thanksgiving Missed Me this Year

I prepped the food and cooked some of the sides on
Wednesday evening. Cooked the turkey, and remaining sides on Thurday. The pumpkin pie perfect. The turkey was juicy and tender, all was ready for my youngest son, DW. and me to have a good meal and enjoy the day. The Detroit Lion even did their part and beat the Vikings. And then family squabbles started. Son didn't want the traditional Sea Breeze Salad made. So to avoid a fight, I omitted it. DW's colostamy bag broke before she got out of the bedroom. It took a couple hours for me to help he get everything cleaned up and get her to the table. As I knew it would take significant time, I told son to eat without us. He did so and left. Got DW to the table and now since the Seabreeze salad was not made, Thanksgiving is ruined. I made an attempth to soothe her, but it's too late to make the salad, according to her. Thanksgiving is ruined.

I left the room. Later, I re-entered the room and exclaimed that I'm tired of being caught in the middle of DW and youngest son, as no matter what I say, someone is going to be mad at me for not totally supporting their side. I'm always the bad guy when I'm the only one trying to find a solution that will work for everyone. Friday wasn't much better.

This is the first ever Thanksgiving day That has been an utter failure for me. I did my part, no one else did. The rest of the family left for Ohio, to have Thanksgiving with my younger sister down there. We all usually get together and share the meal together. No one bothered to even tell us that we weren't getting together this year.

Yep, I'm in the middle fo my first ever Holiday blues.

I hope everyone else had a great Thanksgiving day. I spoke with my young'ens who live downstate. They got together and had a wonderful time. I am thankful for that. So the world isn't completely lost. And I'm still thankful that we have the resoures to make a terrific meal, even if no one wants to behave at it.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Aw Chief (((hugs))). I'm sorry to read that your Thanksgiving didn't turn out well. I think your poor DW was feeling bad / sorry for herself about the colostomy bag breaking. She probably thought that was what ruined Thanksgiving, but didn't want to think that. You're such a trooper. That can't have been pleasant to clean up and deal with. You're son, on the other hand, sounds like he was just behaving like a little prxxk.

I'm sorry to hear that, Chief. Hopefully the Christmas gathering will be better for all of you.

Next time, put DW's traditional faves first, regardless of what Son says. If he doesn't want a particular dish, he certainly doesn't have to eat it. ;)

So sorry Chief, like Cheryl, I certainly hope things will take a turn for the better now.

Some one here has the slogan (think it is Mad Cook?) Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel - stomp on down there and turn the flipping thing on yourself. Sounds like you are doing the first step - declaring you are tired of being caught in the middle. :) Next step - tradition is tradition, don't change it for a malcontent, they don't have to eat it, just fixed a 2nd different one with no comments. Further step - be proactive and start asking everyone what is happening with them for the holidays. Can but try with little steps - these particular holidays are about traditions and family.

I'm sure the rest here join me in sending you hugs and warm happy thoughts. (Right after you give them all an imaginary good swift kick in the arse! 'cause that always makes you feel better!)

Wednesday evening. Cooked the turkey, and remaining sides on Thurday. The pumpkin pie perfect. The turkey was juicy and tender, all was ready for my youngest son, DW. and me to have a good meal and enjoy the day. The Detroit Lion even did their part and beat the Vikings. And then family squabbles started. Son didn't want the traditional Sea Breeze Salad made. So to avoid a fight, I omitted it. DW's colostamy bag broke before she got out of the bedroom. It took a couple hours for me to help he get everything cleaned up and get her to the table. As I knew it would take significant time, I told son to eat without us. He did so and left. Got DW to the table and now since the Seabreeze salad was not made, Thanksgiving is ruined. I made an attempth to soothe her, but it's too late to make the salad, according to her. Thanksgiving is ruined.

I left the room. Later, I re-entered the room and exclaimed that I'm tired of being caught in the middle of DW and youngest son, as no matter what I say, someone is going to be mad at me for not totally supporting their side. I'm always the bad guy when I'm the only one trying to find a solution that will work for everyone. Friday wasn't much better.

This is the first ever Thanksgiving day That has been an utter failure for me. I did my part, no one else did. The rest of the family left for Ohio, to have Thanksgiving with my younger sister down there. We all usually get together and share the meal together. No one bothered to even tell us that we weren't getting together this year.

I hope everyone else had a great Thanksgiving day. I spoke with my young'ens who live downstate. They got together and had a wonderful time. I am thankful for that. So the world isn't completely lost. And I'm still thankful that we have the resoures to make a terrific meal, even if no one wants to behave at it.

I'm sorry to read that all of your hard loving work went south.
Your dealing with a lot right now and have an absolute right to feel the way you do.

Your kids really need to grow up. They are adults now aren't they?
They should have been grown up enough to realize Mom is sick and should have stepped up to the plate and ask you "What can I do to help you Dad?"
Your wife is in no condition or should have to be forced into a position that upsets her at any time. Especially a position where she has to chose a side!...They should know by now it's one side. Mom and Dad. Together.
You guys are second. Simple as that.

Wishing you a belated Happy Thanksgiving.

Oh, wait!
Before I forget..Remember a few years ago when I was having trouble finding your pie recipe and technique? When I did find it. I was sick at the time and it took all 3 of us to make a pie for Thanksgiving.To this day it's now a tradition that we have a square pumpkin pie.That was my guys first attempt at making a pie from scratch.It's still the best one we've ever had.

Thank you Chief!:chef:

Munky Badger.

Cheer up Chief. The day will come when even the youngest one will strike out on his own. Then it will be just the two of you. You both will be sitting there at the holiday table and looking back on all the holidays you had with the whole family sitting around the table. One of the things I told all my children when they had their first born was, "to keep the child safe, to let it know it was loved, and to build happy memories for them." And that last one is what you and your wife have done over the years of holiday dinners.

Don't be too hard on her or your son. Remember, this is her baby and the last to leave home. And we all here in DC love you. Tomorrow the sun will come out, you will be eating leftovers and the youngest will have no idea of the problem he caused. He is a growing boy and lives by his stomach.

Start now and see if you can't get all the kids to agree to come home for just one more holiday dinner all together around the table next year. Or divide the holidays. Part of the family for Thanksgiving, and the other half for Christmas.

Addie....I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Chief's son is not a growing boy, but well into adulthood.

I'm sorry to read that all of your hard loving work went south.
Your dealing with a lot right now and have an absolute right to feel the way you do.

Your kids really need to grow up. They are adults now aren't they?
They should have been grown up enough to realize Mom is sick and should have stepped up to the plate and ask you "What can I do to help you Dad?"
Your wife is in no condition or should have to be forced into a position that upsets her at any time. Especially a position where she has to chose a side!...They should know by now it's one side. Mom and Dad. Together.....

+1, Munky Badger.

Aww, GW, that sucks. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Just so you know, any one of us whom you call friends at DC would be greatly honored and culinarily lucky to be at your table for Thanksgiving.

You are a better man on your worst day than most of us are on our best. Certainly me.

I could name a few others, but that's not the point. :cool:

Always remember this: that even through this disproportionately shallow and even fake medium of the internet, you have encouraged, helped, and supported many people in their difficult journeys through life.

That is an incredible thing to do.

My rosary tonight will be that God kicks your son''s ass into line.

Aww, GW, that sucks. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Just so you know, any one of us whom you call friends at DC would be greatly honored and culinarily lucky to be at your table for Thanksgiving.

You are a better man on your worst day than most of us are on our best. Certainly me.

Always remember this: that even through this disproportionately shallow and even fake medium of the internet, you have encouraged, helped, and supported many people in their difficult journeys through life.

That is an incredible thing to do.

My rosary tonight will be that God kicks your son''s ass into line.

Love this. +1.

Take heart, Chef. I was pretty evil at times to DH after my surgery last year, but I am eternally grateful that he understands that it's hard to deal with those kinds of problems, and that he is not the problem. DW knows how devoted you are to her, trust me :heart:

{{{{Chief}}}}}} I can hear the hurt in your voice and my heart hurts because yours does. I won't be criticizing your kids though because I personally don't want anyone but me doing that with mine. That's a privilege reserved for only a mama or papa bear, nobody else imo. At any rate, I hate they have hurt you and let you down when you have so much to deal with and need loving support. I wish you the best my friend.

Chief, I think you could use another (((hug))). Sounds like you had a turkey of a Thanksgiving day. I hope and pray your Christmas goes much smoother. And perhaps a lump of coal in your youngest one's stocking. ;) And I, too, second (or third or so...) what Bucky said:
..Just so you know, any one of us whom you call friends at DC would be greatly honored and culinarily lucky to be at your table for Thanksgiving.

Always remember this: that even through this disproportionately shallow and even fake medium of the internet, you have encouraged, helped, and supported many people in their difficult journeys through life...

So sorry, Chief. I had the opposite. I did the kitchen turkey dance because I am very much aware that this could have been our last T'giving together. I didn't want to remind my folks that last year, my brother was here. He died in April and I am trying to get through this holiday season honoring him. My Mom is bedridden, incontinent, and can barely use her fork and spoon to feed herself. I set the table with the finest off the fine China (had 5 sets to pick from), polished the silver, hauled out the Waterford crystal. Even though it was just Mom, Dad, and myself, I pulled out all the stops, and invited one of the caregivers (neighbour) and her husband to join us. It was one of the best T'givings ever. Why? Because there no arguments, the amount of food was not excessive, and we counted out blessings. It has been a very bad year for us, but there are still the things for which we are thankful. My Dad said a beautiful grace and honour my brother's memory and gave thanks that despite my Mom is now bedridden, she is still alive and with us. There are times when things just don't work. My Mom will not eat. She will throw her food at me. Tell me she doesn't care and it doesn't matter. It is very, very hard caring for the person you love the most when things don't go right. My only surviving brother lives 30 minutes away. He only calls when he needs $ and he has not been out to see our Mom in over 18 months. And no, he doesn't provide my Dad or me with respite. My Dad pays for that. I pick the battles I want to fight in and haven't yet picked the hill I want to die on.

Hugs. Hang in there. You are doing the best you can. That is all you can do.

Chief Longwind Of The North, *hugs' It aint fun being in the middle of every ones else argument.
My mum get angry at me for not talking to one of my siblings, but when I do she gets angry and mum tells me it my fault... yeah.

That sister wont eat my food, nor will my mum if my sister is there, well my dad has started to pass it off as his food, so they will eat it.

That sister will also start fight with a 4 year old and blame me. Yeah I cant do anything right. So I am now living on the other side of the country.... Sweden is narrow, I live in the south 2 hours from Denmark and they live in the North.

Back
Top Bottom