"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-24-2016, 11:18 PM   #5031
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, that works if the call center in located in the U.S. If it's in India, I'm afraid you'll get an Indian supervisor!

For our major credit card, I like dealing with Discover. When the live rep comes on, not only do they give their name, they give their location. All in the U.S. Over the years I've managed to "visit" Denver, Phoenix, and Columbus - all from the comfort of my kitchen chair! I've been in all three places in the flesh, too. I have the credit card charges to prove it.
Yeah, I have run into that problem also. But at least I can understand them. Their English is slightly more pronounced. They usually will talk slowly to me so I can understand them. If I can't understand a word, I ask them to please spell it.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:32 PM   #5032
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

I still think some of the problem is caused by cheap headsets. Sometimes the person on the other end sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher, "Wamp wamp wamp wamp."

The worst experience I ever had was years ago when my newish Dell had a meltdown. They sent me to India for at least 6 hours for two days apiece. I would get the same schpiel at least 15 times, and then whoever I'd been talking to went off to eat dinner with his/her family, promising he/she would get back to me soon, just hold. Finally, Keith from Texas, who spoke Texas English, got back to me on the third or fourth day, and sent me a new monitor, as he agreed that mine was defective and fried. I offered to marry him.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #5033
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't generally have a hard time with accents, but why do people have to talk so fast? You ask them to slow down and it's an affront to them. I just tell them I can't hear as fast as they talk. Of course they are probably wondering why I talk so slow...
Old 05-25-2016, 12:31 AM   #5034
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I don't generally have a hard time with accents, but why do people have to talk so fast? You ask them to slow down and it's an affront to them. I just tell them I can't hear as fast as they talk. Of course they are probably wondering why I talk so slow...
I am one of those fast talkers. The further north you go in N.E., the faster we talk. Except for those folks who live in rural Maine.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:32 AM   #5035
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Agree, PF. The two different companies I spoke to today just blurted. Didn't help that both folks had accents.

Addie, years ago, DH called his brother, who lives out east, at his brother's workplace. Guy who answered the phone yelled to DH's brother, "Hey, Scott, this guy sounds just like you, but he tallkks reeaal sloowww."
Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 AM   #5036
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Agree, PF. The two different companies I spoke to today just blurted. Didn't help that both folks had accents.

Addie, years ago, DH called his brother, who lives out east, at his brother's workplace. Guy who answered the phone yelled to DH's brother, "Hey, Scott, this guy sounds just like you, but he tallkks reeaal sloowww."
LOL!!! My sister talks fast, years of being in Chicago and in New Jersey. She says she hates conversation, it's like each word is a cliffhanger.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #5037
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I can't understand a word you're saying. Start over and don't run your sentences together as if you're bored and think we understand your unclear automaton gibberish. Can you do that for me? Can we start over?

Exactly my point. And you do speak English unlike me. That is why it so hard to understand the foreigners. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #5038
Master Chef

And the sad part is after you've had enough of this you just give up and just pay the disputed bill by the due date no matter what so no late charges accrue and hope there's a credit of some sort on your next bill.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #5039
Assistant Cook

My petty rant is I get annoyed when I have set up camp on a relatively empty beach and someone comes and sits right on top of you. What is worse is when they have a dog which is not on a lead and it proceeds to cock its leg on your possessions to mark its territory and the owners are totally oblivious.

Is it just me?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #5040
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Petty Vent/Rant

So ...

My husband and I have moved two counties away in the past month.
More than a year ago, I really can't recall when, I sent in my potential jurors questioner form in.

What do you think I found in our new Post Office Box, two counties and a three hour drive away from?

Jury Summons for June 24th.

My husband has put together a very precise document, requesting that I be excused, along with copies of our close of escrow on both our sold and our new, purchased home, two counties away.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem doing my civic duty and serving on a jury panel. I've done it in the past, although, since marrying my husband, I have always been graciously thanked and promptly excused.