"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #5061
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,082
I just had a scare. I opened my Mac and it was completely dead. Black screen and not responsive. Then I checked back a little later and it was in hibernation. No idea why. The battery was more than half charged.

I've been having some annoying problems with it lately so I think I'll take it in for a tune-up.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #5062
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,690
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I just had a scare. I opened my Mac and it was completely dead. Black screen and not responsive. Then I checked back a little later and it was in hibernation. No idea why. The battery was more than half charged.

I've been having some annoying problems with it lately so I think I'll take it in for a tune-up.
Phew
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #5063
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,696
I was just reading an article and my computer shut down completely. I didn't even have my hands on the keyboard. What is going on? I doubt it was the site. I was looking in Swans Down Flour for some cake ideas.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #5064
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was just reading an article and my computer shut down completely. I didn't even have my hands on the keyboard. What is going on? I doubt it was the site. I was looking in Swans Down Flour for some cake ideas.
Maybe it overheated? Are all of the vents clear? Or maybe one of the fans failed. If this is the case it would be a cheap fix. That's what causes my laptop to shut down suddenly, it's a protective measure to prevent damage.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #5065
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Maybe it overheated? Are all of the vents clear? Or maybe one of the fans failed. If this is the case it would be a cheap fix. That's what causes my laptop to shut down suddenly, it's a protective measure to prevent damage.
Thanks I didn't even think of that. I have a vent on the side that I dust often, but have to pull the CPU out to get to the one in the back. Will get it done.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #5066
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...Last night I started getting a sore throat and a little chest congestion...
This is still hanging on so I'm off the the doc this afternoon to see if it's something he can help with or if I just have to suck it up and wait it out.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #5067
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,690
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is still hanging on so I'm off the the doc this afternoon to see if it's something he can help with or if I just have to suck it up and wait it out.
Get well soon.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #5068
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is still hanging on so I'm off the the doc this afternoon to see if it's something he can help with or if I just have to suck it up and wait it out.
If you ever want to see me go spastic, tell a five year old who has taken a nasty fall and has scrapes all over him to suck it and act like a man! He is not a man! He is a little five year old boy who has been hurt. He needs comfort. Not stupid words of an uncaring adult.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #5069
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,593
Some people dream of sunny summer days. I dream of any weather that lets the temp stay 70 or lower. Come on fall. You can get here any day now.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #5070
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,690
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Some people dream of sunny summer days. I dream of any weather that lets the temp stay 70 or lower. Come on fall. You can get here any day now.
Noooooo. I really like 70 F too, but Fall means that Winter is around the corner.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.