"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #5061
Head Chef

I too save empty McCormick spice jars. They have that shaker top with lid that hold my made up spice mixes such as hamburger seasoning and the like. The tiny printed expiration dates are really hard to read on McCormick's containers tho.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #5062
Senior Cook

I found a set of small plastic canisters and the holder that I put my salts and pepper in if I actually need to measure. I added magnets to the bottom of the holder and it sits on the back of the stove. That area doesn't get hot. I also stole on of my husband's magnetic trays and put it on the back of the stove for my salt and pepper grinders.
If you don't have a husband that brings home odd stuff, you can buy the magnetic trays at Harbor Freight.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #5063
Sous Chef

Well, as I use my spices until they're gone or I'm gone, whichever comes first, I'm really not going to worry about the expiration date right now. Most of mine are only about 1 1/2 years old anyway and the ones I use the most have been replaced at least three times now, which is how I got 30 bottles.

I just wanted matching spice bottles (all the labels will come off and my labels will go on) with a decent cap and McCormicks seems to fit the bill. The caps are easy to take off and I can fit a measuring spoon in the jar, which I can't with ones I have now. Plus all their caps include a shaker. I bought 25 cute, 1960s spice jars before I realized that none of them have a shaker top and no one makes a shaker top to fit them.

Only I could do that.

I found a shop on Etsy that sells spice racks for up to 48 spice jars, but man, oh, man, are they pricy. More than $100. So I think I'm just going to make my own. I made the one I have now, but it won't hold more than 24 McCormicks' jars. And I want them ALL out of my cupboard!
Old 06-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #5064
Master Chef

True story. Many ears ago, I was at MIL's and was going to prepare a spaghetti dinner for me, DW, and the crew at grandma's Now my FIL was known to be a huge eater, and so I started with a large pot, and multiple cans of tomato products. I began building the flavors with my favorites - Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, and others. I reached for a bottle that sat in her spice fac labeled garlic. after opening it, I shook it vigorously into the sauce. To my surprise and horror, my DMIL had reused the garlic jar and put cinnamon into it. I had just dumped a significant amount of cinnamon into my pasta sauce. I gave a valiant effort at saving the sauce, but to no avail. We ended up dumping it.

The moral of this story is that if you are going to reuse spice and herb bottles, change the label to accurately tell the contents of the bottle.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #5065
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
No label at all would have been better than one that lies.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:03 AM   #5066
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh the horror, Chief! Cinnamon spaghetti sauce, ack puh!

I got a bunch of magnetic spice tins, which I make sure to clearly label, and stick to the side of the fridge next to the stove. Works for me.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:19 AM   #5067
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Addie, if it's me you think is holding the pepper shaker too high, then I'm a she.
I don't have a pepper mill and I don't particularly want one. Just one more thing sitting out on the counter that takes up space.

Anyhoo, I now have 30 jars of McCormick seasonings, most empty, a few not. I also have exactly 30 spices right now, so in the next couple of weeks I will be transferring all my spices out of their teeny tiny jars back into the McCormick ones. And their shakers let things in the jar fall out. So hopefully I won't be doing a St. Vitus dance to get pepper on anything in the future.
Sorry 'bout that.

I have both a salt and pepper mill, but not a regular shaker. Sea salt in one and peppercorns in the other. I no longer even own a regular salt and pepper shaker set. I had my son install some adjustable shelves next to the stove on the wall. I keep the mills there right within reach.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #5068
Senior Cook

My mother has never owned a salt shaker.
When I was dating a guy, I never realized how much salt his mother cooked with because she never put a salt shaker on the table. After his father had a stroke, she had to quit using salt. At the first meal that the dad was home, she put 2 salt shakers on the table. For 9 adults and 3 children. They literally emptied one and a half salt shakers. Over the next week, I pretty much lived in the bathroom and lost 5 pounds of water weight.
Oh one person did notice I hadn't salted my food. He told me thank you but I didn't have to do that for him. I told him that it wasn't that, it was just my mother had never used much salt. Meals after that, he put me in the chair beside him so neither one of us had to even touch that shaker.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #5069
Chef Extraordinaire

You know half the time I forget to salt food when I am cooking. I have lost count of how many times I have forgotten to salt the pasta water. Sure makes for a yucky pasta dish.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:59 PM   #5070
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
No label at all would have been better than one that lies.
None of those old spice jars I got had labels, either. So I just put the spices in them and set them in the order I thought I could remember them. The only ones I ever got mixed up were onion powder and garlic powder (and I got those two straightened out) and the allspice and nutmeg. I'm pretty sure I know which is which though.

The dumb thing I did was get orange peel and lemon peel from McCormicks. I can't tell which one is which either by taste or by sight. *sigh*