Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kinda whacked myself upside the head today. My Dad redid his will as my Christmas present (told him that was what I wanted AND POA). I was the one who told him he had to leave 15% to the Other Brother. Actually, I'd like my Dad to leave that to the charity of his choice and leave a letter for the Other Brother telling him why his diminished share was given to charity. Don't show up, don't help when help is needed, why should he be able to live in his little world and get money from our parents' estate when I am working my butt off and gave up my job, home, friends, life to be here so I can change my Mom's diaper and wipe her butt. Hardly seems fair.. Conversation I have to have with Dad in the next couple of days.

I am taking care of my Mom out of love. But, why does the OB get a percentage when he could not be bothered to visit Mom when she was in the hospital, couldn't come out to get the bro's clothes that are here that would fit the OB, said he would in June, what? You can't come out to see your Mom? You can't offer me a few hours of respite? Yet you will be at the door asking how much money did they leave you and can you have their ... generator? Dad's bike? I know it will be something.

Last edited by a moderator:
And aside from all else, during her lucid moments she will notice how she looks. And that is good for her spirits. Stay on it CWS. The longer her spirits are on the upside, the longer she will live. It gives her incentive to try and please.
She is more lucid than not. I just want everyone to remember that she can hear what they are saying and it is not appropriate to talk around, under, above or s/ways of her.

Yesterday, we got the e-mail for the sales at Penn Dutch starting today. Veal shanks were going to be on sale. So, Craig goes over there this morning, he's there by shortly after 8 a.m. because we knew they'd sell out quickly. They have 2 packages (1 shank per), yes 2. It really torques me when companies put things on sale and then don't have ample supplies to fill demand. He went ahead and bought the 2 but it would have been nice to have a couple more.
Thats how they get you in the store. You go for what's on sale but they are out so you buy something else.

Well, that's all he went for so they didn't get any other money out of us. Called them a bit after I posted to ask if they were getting anymore in and to complain if they weren't. Was told that they had plenty and the man I spoke to didn't know why Craig was told that. So, he goes back on his way home. Slim pickings, most of them were basically just a little meat around the bone, but he managed to get 2 more packages like the first ones that were far more meat then bone. He did ask if they had any more, and was again told no, that's all they had. I told him I think they are parceling them out since they rarely have them.

That's the exact opposite of a loss leader. It obviously doesn't work and just pisses of the customers.

You have to wonder how some people stay in business.

Pirate's new insurance kicked in on January 1st. It seems that SS and the wonderful Commonwealth of Mass. deemed him to be disabled until death. Which may come sooner than he planned. We have an ER here is Eastie. Only because we are shut off from a direct route to any big hospitals without paying what for some is big bucks.

I am so sick of hearing about how bad his stomach is, how much pain in his legs and feet, etc. GO TO THE DANG ER! Nope, he has an appointment in February and that is when and only then, he will address all his health complaints.

AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY FOR ADOPTION. One run down 54 y.o. Pirate. Loves to do housework. Adopting person should be deaf!
My Dad's deaf and I could really use a "new" brother who does housework!

I kinda whacked myself upside the head today. My Dad redid his will as my Christmas present (told him that was what I wanted AND POA). I was the one who told him he had to leave 15% to the Other Brother. Actually, I'd like my Dad to leave that to the charity of his choice and leave a letter for the Other Brother telling him why his diminished share was given to charity. Don't show up, don't help when help is needed, why should he be able to live in his little world and get money from our parents' estate when I am working my butt off and gave up my job, home, friends, life to be here so I can change my Mom's diaper and wipe her butt. Hardly seems fair.. Conversation I have to have with Dad in the next couple of days.

I am taking care of my Mom out of love. But, why does the OB get a percentage when he could not be bothered to visit Mom when she was in the hospital, couldn't come out to get the bro's clothes that are here that would fit the OB, said he would in June, what? You can't come out to see your Mom? You can't offer me a few hours of respite? Yet you will be at the door asking how much money did they leave you and can you have their ... generator? Dad's bike? I know it will be something.

Have you told your father about how you feel? Remember, like you he is not a mind reader. You might be surprised that he agrees with you. And if he agrees with you after your talk, have him add a codicil to his will. Have it state that per instructions from his deceased brother, he is leaving that 15% to the charity of your father choice in his older brother's name.

I don't know how the law works in that part of the country. In this state, you cannot leave your spouse out of your will, but you can your children. If your father has a bank account, he should also make you co-owner. That way your brother can't get at it. Just list your father's name first. According to his age, he will pay less tax on any interest, not you.

But the most important information I can pass on to you is, make a list of all the things he wants, to be in the will and take that to a lawyer to write up a legal and proper will that will be recognized by the court should it ever come to that. Make sure you have a copy, and have the lawyer keep a copy.

CWS, I can't tell you the number of wills I have had to type up and sign my name to as a legal secretary, then witness as a Notary Public. I still have a packet of gold seals. I should throw them out. I have also been witness to families screaming and fighting in the office at the reading, to the point of calling the police. Remember, not every will has to go through Probate if it is properly written and witnessed.

We went looking for a new gas clothes dryer. When we went to Menards they only had one gas dryer in stock and said they would have to order any of the other models. When I asked if there was a delivery charge she said yes, that it was $59 and another $10 to bring it into the house. I had never heard of the $10 charge before.

We went looking for a new gas clothes dryer. When we went to Menards they only had one gas dryer in stock and said they would have to order any of the other models. When I asked if there was a delivery charge she said yes, that it was $59 and another $10 to bring it into the house. I had never heard of the $10 charge before.

It's just another way to get your money. Keep shopping.

.....and another $20 for hooking it up to your gas line...
Yep, shop elsewhere.

Our daughter works for Lowe's. She said 1) most stores do not warehouse appliances - they all need to be ordered 2) even more so with gas, since they aren't sold as much as electric models 3) Lowe's charges for appliance purchases under $399.00, after that they deliver for free and 4) Lowe's doesn't charge to "bring into the house", but they do charge a $15 old appliance removal fee. For what it's worth, it would cost me more than $15 to have our trash service take an old dryer away.

Just something to compare by. Good luck.

Have you told your father about how you feel? Remember, like you he is not a mind reader. You might be surprised that he agrees with you. And if he agrees with you after your talk, have him add a codicil to his will. Have it state that per instructions from his deceased brother, he is leaving that 15% to the charity of your father choice in his older brother's name.

I don't know how the law works in that part of the country. In this state, you cannot leave your spouse out of your will, but you can your children. If your father has a bank account, he should also make you co-owner. That way your brother can't get at it. Just list your father's name first. According to his age, he will pay less tax on any interest, not you.

But the most important information I can pass on to you is, make a list of all the things he wants, to be in the will and take that to a lawyer to write up a legal and proper will that will be recognized by the court should it ever come to that. Make sure you have a copy, and have the lawyer keep a copy.

CWS, I can't tell you the number of wills I have had to type up and sign my name to as a legal secretary, then witness as a Notary Public. I still have a packet of gold seals. I should throw them out. I have also been witness to families screaming and fighting in the office at the reading, to the point of calling the police. Remember, not every will has to go through Probate if it is properly written and witnessed.
We just had this talk tonight. I have asked him to gift the others out and have them sign off. Or, change the will to have their shares go to charity because they are not here helping. I know that sounds bitter--but I am not here for the money but I am doing the heavy lifting--not only with my parents but with my brother. If they can't frigging send my Dad a birthday card or call him on his birthday or couldn't visit my Mom when she was in the hospital or send a card once a month or call, well hello, sorry, your share is going to charity.

We just had this talk tonight. I have asked him to gift the others out and have them sign off. Or, change the will to have their shares go to charity because they are not here helping. I know that sounds bitter--but I am not here for the money but I am doing the heavy lifting--not only with my parents but with my brother. If they can't frigging send my Dad a birthday card or call him on his birthday or couldn't visit my Mom when she was in the hospital or send a card once a month or call, well hello, sorry, your share is going to charity.
I don't believe that parents owe their adult children anything. Adult children should be able to make it on their own. However, I also don't believe that parents owe their adult children an inheritance if the adult children don't honour their parents. My OB is not honouring his parents. His share, if it were up to me, would go to charity.

My younger brother and sister were waiting like vultures when my mom died. Took me two years to have an auction, and sell her cars and her house. Plus settle all her bills and stuff. They wanted their cut immediately. It takes time.

I feel for you, CWS.

Last edited:
My younger brother and sister were waiting like vultures when my mom died. Took me two years to have an auction, and sell her cars and her house. Plus settle all her bills and stuff. They wanted their cut immediately. It takes time.

I feel for you, CWS.
Vulture: "How much money did he leave me and can I have his bike." That's what the OB said when I called to tell him our brother had died. VULTURE. I am sure he will say about the same when the Elders die.

I feel for you, CWS.

Same here CWS.

When my youngest daughter died, her three youngest children had already entered the adoption process. When the parents heard that there was a major suit to be settled from a car accident, both sets of parents called me to let me know that they expected to be included in the settlement. In response all they got from me was "uh huh, I see, hmmm." It was their tone of voice that ticked me off. So they petitioned the court. The judge said, since the children were already in the adoption process, they were not entitled to any monies from the settlement. He had a lot more to say to them, but that was his last sentence. They left court with a stunned look on their faces. About a week later I got a call from one of the fathers. "What happens if we decide we decide to not adopt the two kids." I told them that DSS would find another family for them. And they still wouldn't be entitled to any of the money if I said so. And I did say so. I never heard another word about any settlement. I did set up a small trust fund for the two oldest children though. When they each turned 18, they got their money.

For me, it definitely isn't about the money, never have seen a hearse with a U-haul or with bank cards attached. It is about the fact that the OB lives 45 minutes away and can't be bothered to come and see his mother or father but he expects them to give him something. He can't be bothered to come and see me either and he wasn't there as I grieved the loss of our other brother. I had to find him dead (and you don't want me to tell you what that was like--I had nightmares for 6 weeks every night), I had to empty his apartment, make arrangements for his cremation, etc., etc., alone. My Dad couldn't come up to Ontario because of Mom, so I did that alone and I have to handle the estate alone. All the OB wanted was to know how much money and could he have his bike. For those who have never gone through this, alone, it is h#ll. That is all I can say. And my Dad's prostate cancer is not in remission and my Mom is double incontinent and bedridden/wheelchair bound. Ain't life fun. I wake in the morning dreading to find out if one of my parents have died. Your car can't start? Your stove is broken, I'll trade you, I'd like those teeny-weeny problems.

Last edited:
For me, it definitely isn't about the money, never have seen a hearse with a U-haul or with bank cards attached. It is about the fact that the OB lives 45 minutes away and can't be bothered to come and see his mother or father but he expects them to give him something. He can't be bothered to come and see me either and he wasn't there as I grieved the loss of our other brother. I had to find him dead (and you don't want me to tell you what that was like--I had nightmares for 6 weeks every night), I had to empty his apartment, make arrangements for his cremation, etc., etc., alone. My Dad couldn't come up to Ontario because of Mom, so I did that alone and I have to handle the estate alone. All the OB wanted was to know how much money and could he have his bike. For those who have never gone through this, alone, it is h#ll. That is all I can say.

I know CWS. And the worst part is you don't even have a date for when it will end. When do you get your life back. So vent to your hearts content. We're here for you! Any time you may need us.

Same here CWS.

When my youngest daughter died, her three youngest children had already entered the adoption process. When the parents heard that there was a major suit to be settled from a car accident, both sets of parents called me to let me know that they expected to be included in the settlement. In response all they got from me was "uh huh, I see, hmmm." It was their tone of voice that ticked me off. So they petitioned the court. The judge said, since the children were already in the adoption process, they were not entitled to any monies from the settlement. He had a lot more to say to them, but that was his last sentence. They left court with a stunned look on their faces. About a week later I got a call from one of the fathers. "What happens if we decide we decide to not adopt the two kids." I told them that DSS would find another family for them. And they still wouldn't be entitled to any of the money if I said so. And I did say so. I never heard another word about any settlement. I did set up a small trust fund for the two oldest children though. When they each turned 18, they got their money.

Addie, you posted this under Culinary Gifts, post #10

I understand completely. When I lost my daughter, she had a very large settlement coming from an automobile accident. So I asked the lawyer to ask the court to name me executrix of the estate. The court gave me a booklet explaining the rules and my responsibilities. Since three of her children were already in the process of being adopted, I did not have to include them in the final settlement. But I did. I felt it was only right and what my daughter would have wanted. I explained to the adopting parents that the money was to be deposited into a trust fund and could only be used for their education costs or extreme medical needs. The same day they got the checks, they cashed them and the kids never say a cent. I should have brought them to court over it. But I let it go. Only one parent lived by the instructions. She sent the child she adopted to an expensive private school.

So which is it? I'll explain why I remembered and why the contradiction bothered me enough to bring it up.

I'm adopted. My father died a little over a year ago. As some of you may remember, a couple of years prior, my step-mother was involved in a serious car accident and I had to move to Mississippi for a while to care for my father because he was advanced enough into his dementia that he couldn't live alone or be trusted to pay bills, deal with finances, etc. A couple of years after he married my stepmother (when I was in my late 20s) he told me that he was changing his will to leave his pension and a payout he was getting annually from his mother's estate (her home that he and his brothers were carrying the mortgage on). I was okay with that because I knew they were doing okay, but didn't have a whole lot extra at the time. Fast forward to a few years ago when I discovered their finances had VASTLY changed, about 70% due to my father's SS, pension and estate payouts. Their wills were such that the surviving spouse would get everything, with them in turn leaving equal amounts to their respective children (me and her 2 children). She was 12 years younger than my dad so it had always been assumed that he would pass first.

Side note, I had to go through all their papers because we needed to apply for vet benefits and/or any other benefits due to the need for in-home care once she was able to come home and my dad essentially needing care at least 18 hours a day. It wasn't like I was snooping. It was done with full knowledge of all the rest of the family.

Well, during my stay with my dad, her son and I were having lunch together while my dad was visiting his mom in the hospital to give them some alone time. I was informed by him that his mother had changed her will to give him the house when she passed. Okay, I can understand that, I don't live close and he lives only about an hour and a-half away. His sister, who is mentally-challenged, will probably also need a place to live eventually since she for some reason stays with an abusive husband. She can't hold a job, but can take care of household duties and volunteers some for their church.

I suspect that stepmom's son has convinced her to change her will to leave me out because she let drop in 1 of our conversations that he had taken her to the lawyer's office a couple of times, as well as a couple of other things that have happened and/or been said. Of course, depending on how long she lives there may not be anything left anyway, since she has to have someone come in 6 days a week to help her out due to health issues resulting from the accident.

I know I'm not owed anything from my father, but it torques me that more than likely her kids or maybe even just her son are going to get whatever is left and I'll end up with nothing when the majority of the money came via by father. It especially bothers me because neither her son, nor his wife ever stayed in the hospital with stepmom. Her son called other family members to stay with her. Nor did either of them volunteer to stay with my dad for a couple of days so I didn't have to drop everything and rush up there the day after she had the accident. He only started to really get involved in her care after I discovered the state of their finances.

Back
Top Bottom