"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-15-2016, 01:44 AM   #5071
Sous Chef

I have a petty vent about myself today. Went to the grocery store. I had $20 left on my EBT card, $5 in cash on the EBT card, and $7 in real cash.

So I got $20 worth of food, some paper towels and freezer bags that added up to $5, and a head of lettuce and two packs of cherry tomatoes that totaled $7. How hard can this be?

So I go to pay and surprise, surprise, I forgot that I had bought $7 worth of bacon (on sale) a couple days ago and I don't have $20 on my EBT card, I only have $13. So I had to make a quick decision and passed back the lettuce and tomatoes.

Then I was so flustered, I forgot to ask for three separate transactions. Reason being, because now all the items are totaled together. This means that I'll use the food amount up first, the cash on the EBT card up second, and then pay what's left with what cash I have in my wallet. Problem is, when the cashier does this, she needs to know exactly how much the food amount on the card is so she can put that total in manually, or the card rejects the amount because the amount is more than what's on the card.

The only way to get the amount left on the card to be entered manually, is to run the card the first time and let it be rejected. Then we redo the transaction for the food. This is the same scenario for the cash left on the card. FINALLY, what's left over is $7 to be paid and I pay that with cash I had in my wallet. The worst thing? I had managed my money so well this month I have food to last till the middle of July and what am I buying at this store? Well, I had decided to treat myself. I was buying shrimp on sale.

So now I have had to give back two perishable food items and run 5 transactions for what normally would have been one transaction and the line had 8 people in it, all watching me use an EBT card to buy shrimp. I was so mortified.

I usually keep the previous transaction of my EBT card on my bulletin board, so I always know how much is left on it, but I had forgotten to check that day. I guess I'm not going to forget again real soon.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:47 AM   #5072
Sous Chef

One more petty vent for the day and then I'm done.

It's June, and the HEAT JUST KICKED ON!

Two weeks ago we were breaking heat records, today it's so cold the heat goes on. What's with this crazy weather?!?

Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #5073
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
None of those old spice jars I got had labels, either. So I just put the spices in them and set them in the order I thought I could remember them. The only ones I ever got mixed up were onion powder and garlic powder (and I got those two straightened out) and the allspice and nutmeg. I'm pretty sure I know which is which though.

The dumb thing I did was get orange peel and lemon peel from McCormicks. I can't tell which one is which either by taste or by sight. *sigh*
It would drive me crazy not having labels on my spice jars. Here - all you need is some printer paper and some packing tape.

http://blog.worldlabel.com/2015/pant...ring-redo.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465997759579.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	24898  
Old 06-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #5074
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Two weeks ago we were breaking heat records, today it's so cold the heat goes on. What's with this crazy weather?!?
Perfectly good reason for it. Mother Nature's hormones are running amok!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #5075
Senior Cook

Quote:

It appears Mother Nature sent us your heat to help evaporate the standing water from Saturday night and Early Sunday morning storm. I will gladly tell her to give you back at least 10 degrees. Yesterday was over 100 here.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #5076
Master Chef

Quote:

They say we might break records beginning the tail end of this weekend.
But at least for now I'm enjoying the low 70's daytime highs for now here. In fact, I'm doing a hike/bike overnighter camping tonight instead of this hot weekend.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #5077
Senior Cook

Quote:
I have a petty vent about myself today. Went to the grocery store. I had $20 left on my EBT card, $5 in cash on the EBT card, and $7 in real cash.

So I got $20 worth of food, some paper towels and freezer bags that added up to $5, and a head of lettuce and two packs of cherry tomatoes that totaled $7. How hard can this be?

So I go to pay and surprise, surprise, I forgot that I had bought $7 worth of bacon (on sale) a couple days ago and I don't have $20 on my EBT card, I only have $13. So I had to make a quick decision and passed back the lettuce and tomatoes.

Then I was so flustered, I forgot to ask for three separate transactions. Reason being, because now all the items are totaled together. This means that I'll use the food amount up first, the cash on the EBT card up second, and then pay what's left with what cash I have in my wallet. Problem is, when the cashier does this, she needs to know exactly how much the food amount on the card is so she can put that total in manually, or the card rejects the amount because the amount is more than what's on the card.

The only way to get the amount left on the card to be entered manually, is to run the card the first time and let it be rejected. Then we redo the transaction for the food. This is the same scenario for the cash left on the card. FINALLY, what's left over is $7 to be paid and I pay that with cash I had in my wallet. The worst thing? I had managed my money so well this month I have food to last till the middle of July and what am I buying at this store? Well, I had decided to treat myself. I was buying shrimp on sale.

So now I have had to give back two perishable food items and run 5 transactions for what normally would have been one transaction and the line had 8 people in it, all watching me use an EBT card to buy shrimp. I was so mortified.

I usually keep the previous transaction of my EBT card on my bulletin board, so I always know how much is left on it, but I had forgotten to check that day. I guess I'm not going to forget again real soon.
I would much rather see a person buy shrimp instead of a frozen meal or worse frozen P B & J sandwiches.
Plus the fact you said you had cash. For all I know you might have FS, and money on the Ebt, and somebody gave you the cash to buy the shrimp. Or in other words none of my business.

Once when I was on food stamps, I needed formula and nail polish. The cashier refused me until I said I will go find your manager. I need the less than a dollar nail polish for my work.
And it is baby formula so you would let a baby go hungry because you don't approve of my purchases. She said well this time you can buy the formula.
Strange, there was another employee standing behind her. I never saw her in that store again.

Funniest one I ever saw was went to a cafeteria. My two year old was very picky about meats. So I just asked if I could substitute a vegetable for the meat. The lady doing the serving told me that I must feed my child meat. The manager heard and made the woman hand me the money for my daughter's meal. Oh and it was 2 vegetables for the one meat and if the child wanted she could have more.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #5078
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
I would much rather see a person buy shrimp instead of a frozen meal or worse frozen P B & J sandwiches.
Plus the fact you said you had cash. For all I know you might have FS, and money on the Ebt, and somebody gave you the cash to buy the shrimp. Or in other words none of my business.

Once when I was on food stamps, I needed formula and nail polish. The cashier refused me until I said I will go find your manager. I need the less than a dollar nail polish for my work.
And it is baby formula so you would let a baby go hungry because you don't approve of my purchases. She said well this time you can buy the formula.
Strange, there was another employee standing behind her. I never saw her in that store again.

Funniest one I ever saw was went to a cafeteria. My two year old was very picky about meats. So I just asked if I could substitute a vegetable for the meat. The lady doing the serving told me that I must feed my child meat. The manager heard and made the woman hand me the money for my daughter's meal. Oh and it was 2 vegetables for the one meat and if the child wanted she could have more.
Regarding that cashier, she was completely right about not allowing you to purchase nail polish. If I were the manager, I would of backed up that cashier, as the Feds could take away my ability to accept food stamps for selling items they can't be used for.

Quite honestly, I can't swallow your cafeteria incident because the manager could have told the server to go ahead with the substitution, but can't force the server to pay for a meal out of their own pocket. That would be illegal.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #5079
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Regarding that cashier, she was completely right about not allowing you to purchase nail polish. If I were the manager, I would of backed up that cashier, as the Feds could take away my ability to accept food stamps for selling items they can't be used for.

Quite honestly, I can't swallow your cafeteria incident because the manager could have told the server to go ahead with the substitution, but can't force the server to pay for a meal out of their own pocket. That would be illegal.
Craig, I have been in some cafeterias where you pay before you get in line for your food.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #5080
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

I was paying cash for the nail polish. Even paid for it first. I had the CASH in my hand. Do not accuse me of cheating the government.
So I was not trying to buy it with food stamps.

Now I remember why I left. Accuse first.