"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #5081
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Craig, I have been in some cafeterias where you pay before you get in line for your food.
How is that possible unless it is an All-You-Can-Eat buffet? Is the prime rib the same price as the creamed corn? Even with the All-You-Can-Eat buffet, drinks aren't included and the bill doesn't come until the end of the meal.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #5082
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
How is that possible unless it is an All-You-Can-Eat buffet? Is the prime rib the same price as the creamed corn? Even with the All-You-Can-Eat buffet, drinks aren't included and the bill doesn't come until the end of the meal.
Back then it wasn't all you can eat.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #5083
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
I was paying cash for the nail polish. Even paid for it first. I had the CASH in my hand. Do not accuse me of cheating the government.
So I was not trying to buy it with food stamps.

Now I remember why I left. Accuse first.
You did not state that you were going to pay for the polish with cash! Read your own words:

"Once when I was on food stamps, I needed formula and nail polish. The cashier refused me until I said I will go find your manager. I need the less than a dollar nail polish for my work."
Old 06-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #5084
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Craig, we have one up on Route 1 in Saugus. Wednesday is Senior Citizen Day. Every week. When they first started this practice, they had to quickly change their way of service. The elderly were piling their plates with food. Much more than they could eat. No doggie bags. So they would grab a pile of napkins and wrap it up to take the food home. The meats were always cut by someone standing behind to cut it.

Now on that day, the meats are precut and there is still someone there to watch how much they each take. The old timers know what the new limit is per person. There is a floor person who floats around to help any that may need it. Handful of napkins are no longer available. They are handed one napkin at the end of the line. If you need more as you are eating, the floater will bring you one. You can go back for seconds, but bring your empty plate.

I am sorry to say, they ruined it for themselves. I have been there on a few occasions. The food is good and being a small eater, I only take a piece of meat and a veggie. One time when the person I was with saw how little I eat, got upset because he thought he wasn't getting his money's worth. It is a buffet. According to his logic, I should have taken a full plate of food along with the dessert. (which is included in the price.) Needless to say that was the last time I saw him.

If you asked the elderly why they took so much food home with them, they will tell you it is for their pet.

Other than Wednesdays, the price for the full buffet is higher. And yes, it is all you can eat. But the clientele is a lot different. A bit more class. And it serves all day long to their customers from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Whereas for the elderly, it is from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #5085
Sous Chef

We used to go to Old Country Buffet and we paid first, including for our drinks, then ate. The plates were sort of small, so we'd just get what we felt like eating, finish that off, then go back for seconds. It's easy to jam a lot of food on the plates, but I would rather take a little and make sure I could eat that and then go back to seconds rather than get a bunch of food at one time I might not be able to eat. I don't think it ever occurred to me to eat everything I could just because it was all-you-could-eat.

I wonder if all the elderly people were taking food home because they didn't have enough to eat at home.

The people I went with were what was left of my mom's family - my mom and her twin sister were the youngest and they were 82 at the time. I never saw anyone wrapping up food to take home.

Quote:
You did not state that you were going to pay for the polish with cash! Read your own words:

"Once when I was on food stamps, I needed formula and nail polish. The cashier refused me until I said I will go find your manager. I need the less than a dollar nail polish for my work."
Sometimes it's worse when you do have cash in hand to pay for some stuff. Then you get the "if you have money, why are you using food stamps?" look.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #5086
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never heard a cashier make any comment on the method of payment. If there are any remarks to be overheard, it is usually the folks standing in line behind the one with food stamps. When I see a young Hispanic using food stamps, she usually has a heavy accent. So I can pretty well guess without asking, that she has a low paying job and most likely from the size and contents of the order in her carriage, has small children.

For the elderly, there were two years in which there was no increase in their SS checks. Yet the cost of food started climbing that first year that there was no increase. I have helped more than half the residents in this building apply for food stamps. I have heard it all. "Oh no, I don't want charity." Or "My children won't let me apply." I have to remind them that it is their tax dollars they paid over the years that allows them to now get the benefit of those taxes. Depending on the amount of your income, the least amount you will receive is $10.00. That ten dollars is a roast for Sunday dinner, milk, eggs, or bread, if spent wisely.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #5087
Sous Chef

When I first started using food stamps, I didn't know what could and couldn't be bought with them. So I had some paper towels with me about the second time I used them and the cashier said I would have to pay cash for those. I told her I hadn't known and in a snotty voice she said, "Well, that's why they're called food stamps."

Addie, they're basing the COL for Social Security on the price of gas, if you can believe it. So when gas doesn't go up or drops, there's no COL for those on Social Security. Like people can eat gas. Jerks.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 AM   #5088
Master Chef

Actually, rr, there are all sorts of goods and services that comprise the Consumer Price Index, which is used to figure Social Security Cost Of Living Adjustments. Not just gasoline.

That is an old chart, from 1-2014, but you can see the percentage shift from the previous year for all the items used in the "basket" that the CPI is based on. Social Security benefits don't increase when "the numbers" say there hasn't been any inflation. Sadly, each year the deductible for Medicare coverages DOES increase. Those who rely on only SS as their income take a hit.

I'll be moving from self-pay individual health insurance (purchased through the ACA Health Connector since I can't be trusted to actually shop on my own.. ) and my insurance costs will plummet. Old rate? $528.00 a month. New cost to me for both Medicare A & B AND my own supplemental C & D? Just under $200.00 a month. It's a Buy One/Get One (and a half) Deal!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #5089
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Sometimes it's worse when you do have cash in hand to pay for some stuff. Then you get the "if you have money, why are you using food stamps?" look.
You do understand that a store could loose taking Government issued assistance for accepting it for products they aren't supposed to. How inconvenient would it be if the store closest to you lost the ability to accept FS, EBT, etc.?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #5090
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
You do understand that a store could loose taking Government issued assistance for accepting it for products they aren't supposed to. How inconvenient would it be if the store closest to you lost the ability to accept FS, EBT, etc.?
You do understand that RR had the cash and was not expecting to pay for the nail polish with food stamps. Let it go.