"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #501
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Technically speaking, the turkey is compensation and taxable. So what they should do is add the cost of the turkey ($15) to the paycheck so it is taxed then deduct it back out again. The only difference in the paycheck should be the taxes on the $15. If they did otherwise, it's immoral and possible illegal.
Wow, that's mean. In Canada gifts are technically taxable, but the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) has made an administrative decision that cash and near-cash gifts are taxable, but non-cash gifts can be be given to a total fair market value of up to $500 (including GST - federal Goods & Services Tax)/employee/year.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #502
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Wow, that's mean. In Canada gifts are technically taxable, but the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) has made an administrative decision that cash and near-cash gifts are taxable, but non-cash gifts can be be given to a total fair market value of up to $500 (including GST - federal Goods & Services Tax)/employee/year.
That's a sensible approach. I really don't know the details of US tax laws. I just remember this happening where I worked once. Usually, you just went out to the parking lot and were handed a turkey off the back of a truck and put it in your car and went home.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #503
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
That's a sensible approach. I really don't know the details of US tax laws. I just remember this happening where I worked once. Usually, you just went out to the parking lot and were handed a turkey off the back of a truck and put it in your car and went home.
They figured the resentment of employers to the extra work would lead to a high level of non-compliance. And they figured out a level where the cost of pursuing it wouldn't be higher than the amount of tax collected. I don't think I'm explaining that well, but I think you get the idea.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #504
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just received the dumbest phone call from my daughter.

Her son , who lives downstairs called her.

"Ma, come here, quick!"

She rushed down the stairs as fast as she could.

"Come here Ma. Look at this. What do I do?"

It seems that my 30 something grandson had a bowel movement so long and large that it came above the waterline and was resting against the toilet seat.

Daughter calls me. "Ma what do we do?"

"Flush the toilet."

"Flush the toilet son."

Problem solved.

I just want it on record that this line of stupidity does not come from my side of the family. My kids never ceased to amaze me with their total lack of intelligence. Or they just want me to have a continued feeling of being needed. I am still sitting here shaking my head in disbelief. (I can hear you laughing!)
Thanks Addie for a giggle. Especially that last paragraph
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #505
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecar View Post
Thanks Addie for a giggle. Especially that last paragraph
My daughter is in her mid 50's and never ceases to amaze me with her stupidity.

"Ma, I just cleaned off the top of the fridge. There is mail unopened from three years ago. What do I do with it?"

"Throw it away."

"Thanks Ma."
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #506
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I just talked to SO. She's at work and heard the same traffic reports. Dinner will be late tonight unless things clear up.
So Andy, what time did SO finally get home. One fella said it took him more than an hour to go the distance that usually takes five minutes. I hope you had some kind loving words for her when she finally arrived.

My son worked last night at Worcester Memorial in the ER. He said there was a rush of minor injuries of bumper and rear end hits. What a nightmare. Did you see the pictures? Unbelievable!!! They couldnt get the ambulances through to Boston, so they took them to local and fringe hospitals.

My grandson will be working on the turnpike today and tonight at a toll booth. They will have extra booths open.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #507
Certified Pretend Chef

Addie, she didn't have a bad commute. She uses Rt. 128 and 3 North. She got home about a half hour later than usual.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #508
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Addie, she didn't have a bad commute. She uses Rt. 128 and 3 North. She got home about a half hour later than usual.
Very good. At least you didn't have one cranky person to deal with. I am glad she made it home safely.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #509
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Very good. At least you didn't have one cranky person to deal with. I am glad she made it home safely.

Don't assume too much. She usually come home a little cranky from the day's work and commute. It's gone about to minutes after she walks in the door.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #510
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Don't assume too much. She usually come home a little cranky from the day's work and commute. It's gone about to minutes after she walks in the door.
I am like that. Ten minutes, I am over whatever had me irritated.