"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #5091
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You do understand that RR had the cash and was not expecting to pay for the nail polish with food stamps. Let it go.
You do understand it wasn't RR purchasing the polish? The person purchasing the polish never mentioned the cash in the post I originally quoted.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #5092
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Let it go...

Old 06-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #5093
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You do understand that a store could loose taking Government issued assistance for accepting it for products they aren't supposed to. How inconvenient would it be if the store closest to you lost the ability to accept FS, EBT, etc.?
We have had a few Mom and Pop stores lose their Govt. permission to accept food stamps. One store in my neighborhood would give you $.50 in cash on the dollar. No purchase necessary. The 7-11 store up the street from me can no longer accept any purchases to be paid with their EBT card. It is not only the holder of the card, but the owner of the store who is at fault. They get greedy. I have never heard of a large supermarket store having this problem.

When a recipient first receives their EBT card, they many not understand the restrictions that come with it. Remember please that for a lot of them, English is not their first language. In this state every correspondence regarding their acceptance comes with a translation in several languages. And for those women who come from the Middle East countries, a lot of them can't even read their own language. The little store just a block from my building that I frequent has a new owner. And this is the problem his wife has. They come from Pakistan. Right now she is trying to learn English. Her husband has her working in the store every so often, but he is right at her side. When it comes to using the EBT card, or WIC purchases, he handles them himself. I asked him why he is not teaching her how to ring them up. "Baby steps. She is overwhelmed trying to learn English, and all the rules of Sales tax items."

Supermarkets are computer programmed to separate cash only and taxable items from the food. A taxable cash item such as detergent can be scanned between the middle of a bag of apples and several jars of baby food. At the end of the receipt will be two totals. One for the food and one for the EBT card.

You really need to know all the rules of having an EBT card. For those who have never had to apply for food stamps, they don't always understand all the rules. If you also receive a cash stipend, it is put on your EBT card. You no longer get a check in the mail. So the person behind the recipient may not realize this. All they know is that the recipient walked out of the store showing no cash payment. And there were several cash taxable items in her order.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #5094
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Let it go...
Thank you.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #5095
Chef Extraordinaire

Petty Vents

Okay, I have had it. If one more bigwig comes to Boston, I am going to become a hermit. It is hard enough for me when I am on my scooter, to cross a street safely. I think every driver knows that a pedestrian or any person in or on a vehicle for a handicap, ALWAYS has the right of way. I always cross in the crosswalk. There is one crosswalk that has to be fixed. I stay on the sidewalk until it is safe enough for me to go off the handicap accessible into the crosswalk. I live in an area that there are a lot of Park and Fly lots. That creates a traffic backup between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Now here comes Mr. Bigwig. He lands at 2:30 and a lot of streets to and from the airport are closed so the drivers use the back streets. Trying to cross a street from 7 to about 3:30 is a nightmare. And when they do open the streets, the coming home traffic along with all the traffic from the backups make it almost impossible for any pedestrian or handicap person to cross the street safely.

Please stay home Mr. Bigwig. Go somewhere else. To another city. I feel sorry for the drivers in town. It is even worse. Those streets stay closed all day.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:24 AM   #5096
Senior Cook

Addie,
Your problem is so trivial compared to when Obama comes to LAX. He shuts down 20 airports in Los Angeles, causing many companies to lose a lot of money because they cannot fly.
The traffic nightmares are horrendous, especially when he comes out for a $35K per person fundraiser!
Old 06-18-2016, 02:45 AM   #5097
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Okay, I have had it. If one more bigwig comes to Boston, I am going to become a hermit....
Addie, I don't remember you complaining like this every time the streets of Boston were shut down for the parades "Rolling Rallies" for the Red Sox when they won the World Series. Or for the Patriots when they won the Super Bowl. Or for the Celt....you get the idea. Then again, they don't drive those duck boats past the airport, so you probably weren't impacted in those cases.

What about the impact when the Democrats held their convention at the Garden? I guess that isn't by you either. But the mucky-mucks still had to fly in. I remember the news talking about all of the road closures and the poor businesses that were seriously impacted because of security. Meanwhile, in Cleveland, Quicken Loans Arena is getting ready for a Cavaliers watch party for the last game of the basketball playoffs. When the Cavs are playing their "away" games, over 20,000 buy $5 tickets (ALL money goes to charity) to sit in the arena to watch the game, and about another 2,000 do the same to stand in the plaza area between the basketball arena and the baseball field. Sunday will have an afternoon baseball game, an evening basketball game, and a police force going crazy! Immediately on Monday, Cleveland and "The Q" need to prepare for the Republican convention less than a month away. We plan on heading to see the kids, and Cleveland, and be back home before any convention folks start to trickle into the city. Crazy times indeed!
Old 06-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #5098
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
...... when Obama comes to LAX. He shuts down 20 airports in Los Angeles, causing many companies to lose a lot of money because they cannot fly.
The traffic nightmares are horrendous, especially when he comes out for a $35K per person fundraiser!
I was about to post something similar the other day. And he's done this at least a dozen times, and during peak hours.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #5099
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's been the same for every president, presidential candidate, etc. 'nuff said.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #5100
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It's been the same for every president, presidential candidate, etc. 'nuff said.
Thank you.