"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #5131
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

You are the same age as Shrek???
I don't think so...
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #5132
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,817
I used to keep up on all the technie stuff. But then I found Spike. So now my instructions are "Don't touch anything. Call me." So that is what I do.

I too remember Howdy Doody. I also remember Roberta Quinlin and her sponsor, Carpets From The Looms Of Mohawk. She had a 15 minute show at 7 p.m. five nights a week. And the nightly news was told to us by John Cameron Swazey who was sponsored by Timex. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Another 15 minute show. And I also remember my mother listen to the Romances of Helen Trent and the Guiding Light on the radio. Yes, I admit it. I am old.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #5133
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 10,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I called my ISP's customer service number. I knew what the problem likely was, just couldn't fix it myself. I gave them the rundown on what was going on and the lady says "you seem to know what you are talking about, I'll schedule a tech and send them out, none of the things I can tell you to do will likely help". I just wanted to avoid the "unplug the modem and plug it back in" thing.
The "unplug/replug" thing is what caused Himself to not call about a flaky modem for months, until it got too bad. Even I knew what was wrong...the thing was over a decade old and worn out! When he finally called they asked a bunch of questions, did a few tests with him on the phone, and told him they couldn't find anything wrong. Next day they send him an email - saying a new modem was on the way! Well, the new one has been in its box on the counter for a week now because MY idea worked: move the old modem from the den on the warmer second floor and put it down the basement where it's cooler and a constant temp. Danged old one has been perfect for 2 weeks!
__________________
"Eating ruins your appetite"~Mom

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #5134
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 10,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, my Dad does the same thing, he's been building computers and working with them since before there were PC's.
Same with Himself. We never had a new computer (unless you count our Atari 800) until 2000 because he would bring home the old ones from work for free, tinker with them, and get them to run good enough for home. I felt like the IT guy's version of the shoemaker's kids.

Back in the early '70s he worked for a small company designing systems and writing code. (His typing wasn't very good - I have a punch card he did for me that says "I move you" ) A client wanted to get their desktop computers to send data to an office in another state, but back then only mainframes were doing data transfers. He and a coworker (Tom) stayed late every night trying to get it to work. It was a secret project and I couldn't tell anyone so I called it "Nanette" anytime we were out (theatre joke). Got so I saw so little of him I would pack a basket of food for him and Tom and run over to the office from my parents' home and drop it off! When they finally got it working by testing between their office in Cleveland and the home office back in MA (different company than the most recent) everyone at HQ was so impressed they offered the two guys teaching jobs at corporate. Dodged the moving bullet that time.
__________________
"Eating ruins your appetite"~Mom

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #5135
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The "unplug/replug" thing is what caused Himself to not call about a flaky modem for months, until it got too bad. Even I knew what was wrong...the thing was over a decade old and worn out! When he finally called they asked a bunch of questions, did a few tests with him on the phone, and told him they couldn't find anything wrong. Next day they send him an email - saying a new modem was on the way! Well, the new one has been in its box on the counter for a week now because MY idea worked: move the old modem from the den on the warmer second floor and put it down the basement where it's cooler and a constant temp. Danged old one has been perfect for 2 weeks!
When Spike called Comcast for me to tell them I needed a new modem, they didn't believe him. So the silly person on the other end spent almost 20 minutes of his time trying to get my modem to work. Finally he asked how long have I had the Internet service with them. I even had the date. It was ten years ago. Long before they went digital. "Oh, I think your modem is out of date now." Such a brilliant guy. By now I decided to play with him. "Can you bring it into the office and we will exchange it for you?" "No, I am housebound and can't walk. And I am very elderly. The computer and TV are the only means I have of staying in touch with the outside world. Can you deliver it to me without an extra charge?"
"Oh, I will have to check with my supervisor." I already knew the answer, but since these calls are timed and monitored, I wasn't going to let him off to easy.

"Can I set up an appointment time with you? What time would it be the most convenient for you when you will be at home?"
"Well considering I am housebound I expect to be home all day."
The conversation kept going on and on about a good time for me and the truck that would be in my neighborhood. I finally had enough of his stupidity and asked for his supervisor. Took her 10 seconds to set up the time. And there was no delivery charge.

Had he asked me in the beginning when I had gotten my old modem he could have saved a lot of time. You can bet he got a dressing down for the length of that call. 45 minutes. Idiot!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #5136
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,126
I'm my own tech support for most things, If I don't know how to do something, I research until I figure it out.

Just this morning I replaced the DVD drive in my home theater PC with a blu-ray drive before I even ate breakfast. I built the computer myself. I recently bought it a whole new case, one that will fit under the TV nice and neat instead of beside the tv on the floor. I had the whole thing dismantled, cleaned and put back together in about 45 minutes.

When it comes to the modem, there isn't much I can fix, it's proprietary from At&t, not even something I can go out and replace myself, like I could with my old cable modem.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #5137
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,593
Grrr, predictability.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #5138
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I don't think so...
No you are closer in age to me, we just never had a TV until I was 10 or 11. I never saw Howdy Doody when it was first aired.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #5139
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

No you are closer in age to me, we just never had a TV until I was 10 or 11. I never saw Howdy Doody when it was first aired.
I vaguely recall it, I was more of the Captain Kangaroo generation.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #5140
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Same with Himself. We never had a new computer (unless you count our Atari 800) until 2000 because he would bring home the old ones from work for free, tinker with them, and get them to run good enough for home. I felt like the IT guy's version of the shoemaker's kids.

Back in the early '70s he worked for a small company designing systems and writing code. (His typing wasn't very good - I have a punch card he did for me that says "I move you" ) A client wanted to get their desktop computers to send data to an office in another state, but back then only mainframes were doing data transfers. He and a coworker (Tom) stayed late every night trying to get it to work. It was a secret project and I couldn't tell anyone so I called it "Nanette" anytime we were out (theatre joke). Got so I saw so little of him I would pack a basket of food for him and Tom and run over to the office from my parents' home and drop it off! When they finally got it working by testing between their office in Cleveland and the home office back in MA (different company than the most recent) everyone at HQ was so impressed they offered the two guys teaching jobs at corporate. Dodged the moving bullet that time.
I used to sit in the room with the punch card creator while Dad's homework ran through and let him know when a jam happened or a run was done. He was busy down the hall setting up chemistry labs for the next day. I watched carefully and soon I was fixing jams and putting in the next box of cards without bugging him.

He got a lot of help out of me when he was a workstudy student. I got good at setting up labs, helped him with inventories, etc. Then we'd walk home past the cemetery and he'd scare me with stories.
__________________

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Wagyu on the hoof | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.