"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #5151
Master Chef

P.S. Funny story with one of the alarm clock. After it stop working, no more than a year in use, my wife put it in give away/throw away bag which of course she did not give or throw away for more than a year. All of a sudden there is this quite alarm going of same time of the night. In the middle of the night of course. For weeks we could not figure out what was going on. Finally we realised the sound comes from inside the bag. For the life of me I don't understand how or why it was not happening before, why it took nearly a year for it to start working again. Apparently it came with a battery, which we did not know. Weirdest thing ever.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #5152
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Beware of Amazon Prime free deal. I did not even realised that I sign for it until I got credit card bill. Good thing the CC guy gave me Amazon number to call and cancel it. That went without problem, but if I did not get the number from CC I could not find it on the site.
True Charlie. I too signed up for their free trial period. I should have marked my calendar for a reminder about canceling it. For me though, it was to my benefit. During those thirty days, I took full advantage of it. So I am glad that I didn't cancel it. I am still enjoying all the benefits of Prime Time. I do, other than groceries, all my shopping on line. What I can't buy on Jet.com I go to Amazon. But come this October, I will notify Amazon, that I do not wish to renew. Why should I. I pay no taxes at Jet, delivery is ever so fast with Jet, and if there is a product I need that they don't carry, they get it for me.

Oh, BTW, Walmart's has just purchased Jet.com. I have to place an order later this month. I intend to include a note asking how this purchase will impact my future purchases.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #5153
Certified Pretend Chef

I also signed up for Prime in July. I logged on a cancelled it yesterday. We managed to pick up a few things we needed/wanted with free shipping. I put an event on my calendar to remind me.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #5154
Master Chef

I've always cancelled my free 30-day Prime trial about mid way through the deal. But they will still honor your free trial for the full 30 days, regardless.

I think it was a glitch on their part but last month when my free 30-day trial was up they immediately offered me another free 30-day trial. This may be their tactic for you to order more stuff. And I tend to spend more money during these free trial periods.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #5155
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
...This may be their tactic for you to order more stuff. And I tend to spend more money during these free trial periods.
It worked. We ordered a few things we wouldn't have ordered because of the shipping charges.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #5156
Sous Chef

I love amazon prime! Besides free two-day shipping, there's a nice selection of free e-books, free television and movie downloads, and if you get their store card, an automatic 5% cash back on everything we both buy. For us, it more than pays for itself.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #5157
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Prime fan here too. I just let them renew it. More than pays for itself in shipping.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #5158
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Prime fan here too. I just let them renew it. More than pays for itself in shipping.
Ditto. They also have a bigger selection for a lot of items than many local stores.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #5159
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was upset that there wasn't an inquiry of whether I liked the prime service or not, did I want to keep it, etc. Nothing like having an $100 charge to your debit card on payday before your paycheck is deposited.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:24 AM   #5160
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was upset that there wasn't an inquiry of whether I liked the prime service or not, did I want to keep it, etc. Nothing like having an $100 charge to your debit card on payday before your paycheck is deposited.
Well, at least now you know that you can cancel it if you choose.