Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My basement smoke/CO2 detector started screeching and beeping. The batteries need to be replaced. I get that. So far I've broken 3 fingernails trying to open the battery door. I looked up the manual online, and it was of no help. Can't get the dang thing open. DH's solution would be to take a hammer to it.
Screeching while you were trying to get the battery door open? Yikes! I would be getting out the hammer too. (It's probably a carbon monoxide, not a carbon dioxide detector)

Screeching while you were trying to get the battery door open? Yikes! I would be getting out the hammer too. (It's probably a carbon monoxide, not a carbon dioxide detector)

:LOL: Yes, CO3. You knew what I meant. Still can't get the battery door open. I pushed the button, and it's quit screeching. DH gave up immediately. He's useless in these matters.

I like to keep them on the line as long as possible. In fact, I've made it a game as to try to break my record of stalling each time. I amswer as if I'm really interested in whatever they are up to, but then I either keep excusing myself here and there to stall, or become a complete idiot until they finally give up. Sometimes I threaten them, if they try to argue, that I will do things like a tracert or iplocate to see where they are.

Hey they called me, so they will suffer me... Mwahahahaa.

I very rarely take those calls, but every once in a while, when I'm really feeling like a smartass, I will mess with them. This year, I had one guy that was as much of a smartass as I am. We had multiple call exchanges. I couldn't help but laugh. He was a PITA, but a funny one.

CD

When we had a land-line, and no Caller ID, I would wait until the caller started talking before I would pick up. My poor SIL had to start a ton of "messages" before I would answer. Now with just a cellphone, if the party isn't in my Contact List, I don't answer. ~ Andy, if I didn't have current business with that company, I would have just let it roll to voicemail. You can always check for messages. ;)

^This^ I did do telemarketing for a while when we needed money for extras when building Home Two. At least I worked for a courteous agency owner who insisted we be polite and allow the person to end the call immediately if they so chose. My biggest time-eater was when I got a lonely old person who was so happy to have any human contact that they droned on and on. Again with the courteous boss, she said we should listen to those people, no matter how annoying, because it could very well be their only contact with a real person that day. :( To this day I can remember her name, Charlotte, and can picture what she looks like from memory. A real quality person. [emoji813]

And about that miss-dialed call from the dentist? One time a dry cleaner left a message that someone's cleaning was ready. Not mine! I called the dry cleaner back to let them know they needed to figure out what the right phone number was.
People like this annoyed the crap out of me. They say hey call me when you on your way to pick me up. Ok. I call. Machine picks up. I hang up and leave. Guy shows up 2 hours late. Mad as heck. Why didn't you pick me up? I called you no answer. Figured you already left. Lol after a couple times missing party's that broke him of that. He answered that phone on the second ring!

I don't have answering machine. If it picks up a sales call the number registers as current and you'll get more calls from that line. I have a phone with a caller display panel. If I don't recognise the number or it's number withheld I don't pick up. Amazing how few of these calls you get after a while.

My basement smoke/CO2 detector started screeching and beeping. The batteries need to be replaced. I get that. So far I've broken 3 fingernails trying to open the battery door. I looked up the manual online, and it was of no help. Can't get the dang thing open. DH's solution would be to take a hammer to it.

Sometimes you just have to twist the whole thing off. In other words don't try to open the battery door. Take the whole thing down and it will be easier. Often it is two screws that you just need to twist the gizmo to line up the larger holes.

Also wouldn't Carbon Monoxide detectors be near the floor? I have both - one goes on the ceiling and one is plugged in near the floor. (I have propane gas)

Haha. The smoke/CO detector in the bedroom started to chirp last night. Thankfully, I just had to twist off the base, and there were the batteries! Much better design. The basement one that I can't get open was on the desk. DH had put a pillow over it, apparently it annoyed him this morning. I thought, why is there a pillow on the desk? Oh.

My first reaction would be to throw it out into the street...

My first reaction would be to throw it out into the street...

Thinking about that, though I don't litter. I may run over it with my car a few times and throw it in the trash though. Then it can chirp and screech at the garbage men.

I would have to run it over, waiting for someone to drive down the street would be an all day venture. A sledge hammer would work, too.

LOL - I like the sledge hammer. Very satisfying to weld and smoosh/crunch/

You might as well. If you can't change the batteries, what is the point of keeping it. It can't do the job and you are unprotected.

'Nother idea... mail it back to the manufacturer! :angel: ('cept the P.O. would probably call the bomb squad! :D but the job would be done though!

Smoke detectors on or near the ceiling.

CO detectors a couple feet off the floor.

This dumb management company bought the combination type detectors. They are hardwired and on the ceiling. Oh well, they accomplished what they wanted to. Great for smoke detection, no so for CM. Less money spent!

Thinking about that, though I don't litter. I may run over it with my car a few times and throw it in the trash though. Then it can chirp and screech at the garbage men.

One of my clients booked me and my team into a crappy hotel once, and at 2AM, the smoke alarm in my room started beeping. I got up on a chair, removed it, and tossed it into the trunk of my rental car until morning, when I delivered it to the front desk with a good measure of hairy eyeball.

BTW, of the three rooms we had, I had the best one. :ohmy:

CD

Back
Top Bottom