"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2016, 01:59 AM   #5161
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
That's fine with a credit card, Addie, but it sounds like PF's problem is that Amazon when ahead and withdrew the membership fee from her bank account BEFORE her check was credited to that same account. Debit cards need you to have the money on hand at the time of the transaction. Unless she had a cool $100 extra hanging around before payday, she would be considered overdrawn and get hit with all the extra charges that come with that. A real pain in the butt, for sure.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:24 AM   #5162
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's fine with a credit card, Addie, but it sounds like PF's problem is that Amazon when ahead and withdrew the membership fee from her bank account BEFORE her check was credited to that same account. Debit cards need you to have the money on hand at the time of the transaction. Unless she had a cool $100 extra hanging around before payday, she would be considered overdrawn and get hit with all the extra charges that come with that. A real pain in the butt, for sure.
You are so right, I only keep a limited amount in the Debit Card account, on payday, I remove what I won't be needing to pay bills and put it in regular checking or the savings account. If I know I'll be shopping online, I transfer money into it. I wore that account out this past couple of weeks with the purchase of the stove...it was down to it's last $100.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:38 AM   #5163
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,707
A couple wired in money to a legit site in a lottery state that allows you to draw off what you pay into it, to play the lottery online with an account that you pay into. There account got low, so they wired in the money to the site to play that nights lottery. They believed they deposited in plenty of time to play the next lotto draw via online. They picked all 6. The next day they found out the site had not posted the credit to that account in time for their lotto pick. Therefore, it was an invalid lottery submission. Ouch!

I'm basically reply posting about submission of funds to a bank or whatever and having those funds actually there. That couple thought they easily got their funds to their lottery debit account in time.

Missed it by that much! I think they sued/challenged, but lost.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:08 AM   #5164
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's fine with a credit card, Addie, but it sounds like PF's problem is that Amazon when ahead and withdrew the membership fee from her bank account BEFORE her check was credited to that same account. Debit cards need you to have the money on hand at the time of the transaction. Unless she had a cool $100 extra hanging around before payday, she would be considered overdrawn and get hit with all the extra charges that come with that. A real pain in the butt, for sure.
She can still notify her bank that it was not an approved withdrawal. They will put the money back into her account and go after Amazon.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:11 AM   #5165
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
A couple wired in money to a legit site in a lottery state that allows you to draw off what you pay into it, to play the lottery online with an account that you pay into. There account got low, so they wired in the money to the site to play that nights lottery. They believed they deposited in plenty of time to play the next lotto draw via online. They picked all 6. The next day they found out the site had not posted the credit to that account in time for their lotto pick. Therefore, it was an invalid lottery submission. Ouch!

I'm basically reply posting about submission of funds to a bank or whatever and having those funds actually there. That couple thought they easily got their funds to their lottery debit account in time.

Missed it by that much! I think they sued/challenged, but lost.
If you make any transaction on a weekend, legal state or federal holiday or after hours of your bank's regular business hours, it may not be posted to your account until regular business hours of your bank.

Or you can use this site.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...U1B6N5&ie=UTF8

It has the CS #'s for the U.S. and Canada
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:15 AM   #5166
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Some 25 years ago, I got a free alarm clock for opening checking account. Simple radio easy to use, no problem for 15-maybe 16 years. Finally it gave up. Listen how much can you expect from free clock, right? Was very happy with it. Next one lasted maybe 4-5 years, also easy to use, also no problem, outside the fact that it cost $20 and did not last even the half time of the free one. Ok, fine, 20 bucks, I can handle that. From then on it's been a disaster. Not only we cannot find alarm clock that works normally, none of what we have bought was normal. Either the sound was weird, practically all of them required a PHD to set it up and operate, none, none of them had a simple OFF button, the last one is so light/bright, it is almost as it was a day light in the room, impossible to sleep, had to return next day. What the flippity flip, flip, flip is going on. It is an alarm clock not a nuclear reactor, why can't they make it simple clock. Grrrrr......

Beware of Amazon Prime free deal. I did not even realised that I sign for it until I got credit card bill. Good thing the CC guy gave me Amazon number to call and cancel it. That went without problem, but if I did not get the number from CC I could not find it on the site.
Charlie, do you still have the phone number for Amazon? If so would you please post it so others can avoid this troublesome trap? Thank you.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:39 AM   #5167
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
She can still notify her bank that it was not an approved withdrawal. They will put the money back into her account and go after Amazon.
Credit cards work that way; debit cards may not. They have different rules. This is why we only use debit cards for emergency cash withdrawal, in case I leave my credit card at home. Never for an automatic withdrawal. We don't leave much more in that account.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:15 AM   #5168
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You are so right, I only keep a limited amount in the Debit Card account, on payday, I remove what I won't be needing to pay bills and put it in regular checking or the savings account. If I know I'll be shopping online, I transfer money into it. I wore that account out this past couple of weeks with the purchase of the stove...it was down to it's last $100.
PF I only leave a measly $10 in my account. After I pay my bills, I transfer any other monies to my savings or PayPal account. That way should say Amazon try to use my debit account for anything above $10.00, they are out of luck. And no one has authorization to go into my savings or PayPal accounts except me. And if it should happen, I won't like it, but I can afford to lose that $10.00.

I really like PayPal. Unless you are sitting at my computer and know my password, PP, won't let you in. And more and more online businesses are now accepting PayPal.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #5169
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Credit cards work that way; debit cards may not. They have different rules. This is why we only use debit cards for emergency cash withdrawal, in case I leave my credit card at home. Never for an automatic withdrawal. We don't leave much more in that account.
Yup, for us it is strictly an "ATM" card. So much so that I have a sticker that says "For ATM Only" on my card so I don't forget. We use it at the Bank in the Box when we need to have cash in our wallets before vacations. Otherwise, we might go two months or more before we ever need to replenish our small amount of carry-around cash. Any purchase we make that's over $10 goes right on our Discover card. The exception is when dealing with a small business owner with one location. We use cash or check in those instances so that the merchant doesn't have to pay a service charge. Support the local business in any small way!

Banks don't pay much in interest, but I'll be danged if I keep money anywhere for any length of time if it doesn't earn me some bit of interest.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #5170
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
PF I only leave a measly $10 in my account. After I pay my bills, I transfer any other monies to my savings or PayPal account. That way should say Amazon try to use my debit account for anything above $10.00, they are out of luck.
It doesn't work that way. If you don't have enough in your account - even a debit account - to cover a payment or withdrawal, the bank will pay the charge and then, unless you have overdraft protection, assess you an overdraft fee, which I think averages about $35. That's why it's important to PF that she didn't realize that charge was coming.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.